Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | shall i buy a NAS drive or an external ( i already have 2 1tb portables)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

shall i buy a NAS drive or an external ( i already have 2 1tb portables)

Old 13-04-2012, 13:24   #1
wakkaday
cf.addict

wakkaday is an unknown quantity at this point
shall i buy a NAS drive or an external ( i already have 2 1tb portables)

i already have a couple of 1tb portables which are kind of full.
should i try out a nas drive? are they worth it...foolproof for the future or is it better just getting another external harddrive

i quite like the idea of sharing my data easy without my computer being on and being able to steam etc...
wakkaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-04-2012, 18:37   #2
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: shall i buy a NAS drive or an external ( i already have 2 1tb portables)

Standalone NAS' are in my opinion horribly overpriced. There's nothing they can achieve you can't do already just by leaving your computer on. They're also a lot slower than direct-attach drives.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 19:17   #3
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
There's nothing they can achieve you can't do already just by leaving your computer on.
Whilst you may be right, the cost of leaving a NAS on 24/7/365 is far cheaper than leaving most desktop PCs on all the time

To the OP I would say that although I would personally stick with external, you seem to have too many already so maybe a NAS isn't a bad idea. Maybe this one/ (And it's not "over-priced" either )
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 20:37   #4
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

It would take years before the cost of the money wasted in buying the NAS is balanced by the energy savings, assuming you don't turn your desktop computer on at all. If you use your desktop 1/3rd of the day, it'd take another couple years on top of that. Not to mention most PCs can be put in standby and woken remotely, Macs even have this feature built-in.
Old 15-04-2012, 20:49   #5
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
It would take years before the cost of the money wasted in buying the NAS is balanced by the energy savings, assuming you don't turn your desktop computer on at all.
You meant "off" right? Because not turning your PC on at all negates the reason for having a NAS; ie to store files created on your PC

Quote:
Macs even have this feature built-in.
As do PCs.
Old 15-04-2012, 21:48   #6
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
You meant "off" right? Because not turning your PC on at all negates the reason for having a NAS; ie to store files created on your PC
No I meant on. You lose the power benefits of a NAS as soon as your PC is on.

Quote:
As do PCs.
No they don't.
Old 15-04-2012, 21:57   #7
wakkaday
cf.addict

wakkaday is an unknown quantity at this point

so a western digital nas 3tb drive isnt worth it? i just like the idea of being able to network files easily and transfer my data to it..and i can also email links etc i believe.. share files..
wakkaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 22:30   #8
RealDiamond
Inactive

Services: Free^60meg No, Free^30meg Yes, TV M, Phone M. Running Kubuntu 12.04+Chromium Browser On Free laptop
RealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really nice

How many devices would this NAS be connecting to also needs to be taken in to account.
As If you have 3 devices on the go trying to access say 2 portable drives.
Then you see the problem. 1 device has no choice as it can't access the portable drives with NAS they can..

WMP on PC is a DLNA streamer and all PCs with windows forced on them have that.

It also depends on what Protocols you want.
DLNA, Upnp, bonjour, FTP, HTTP, Airplay

For example WMP on PC only does DLNA and Upnp. If you had a vita your screwed
Twonky on PC/NAS has a web interface and will stream MP4 to Vita with out having to stop others playing on PS3, This is why Twonky used to cost money.. no longer does.
RealDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 23:09   #9
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
No they don't.
Sorry. Missed the word "remotely" for some reason

---------- Post added at 22:09 ---------- Previous post was at 22:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakkaday View Post
so a western digital nas 3tb drive isnt worth it? i just like the idea of being able to network files easily and transfer my data to it..and i can also email links etc i believe.. share files..
I don't know without looking if you can get a 3TB 2.5" hard drive, but I wouldn't want to lug a 3.5" one around! So, on that basis, I think I'd go for a NAS. But the final decision is yours.
Old 16-04-2012, 01:12   #10
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
No they don't.
Yes, they do.

I doubt there is a PC around these days that doesn't support WOL.

All you have to do is ensure you've got it enabled and open the port.
Windows supports WOL right out of the box.
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 02:14   #11
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
It would take years before the cost of the money wasted in buying the NAS is balanced by the energy savings, assuming you don't turn your desktop computer on at all. If you use your desktop 1/3rd of the day, it'd take another couple years on top of that. Not to mention most PCs can be put in standby and woken remotely, Macs even have this feature built-in.

The exact amount depends on what you use to access the data. If you access the data exclusively on PCs that you won't see as much of a saving. If you access the data using tablets, laptops, phones or even hardware media players then the savings are greater.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 08:48   #12
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
Yes, they do.

I doubt there is a PC around these days that doesn't support WOL.

All you have to do is ensure you've got it enabled and open the port.
Windows supports WOL right out of the box.
No, they don't.

Wake on lan by definition only works on the LAN.

For it to work remotely, you need router support - which again, Macs negotiate automatically and PCs do not. If you have manually reconfigure external devices to get it to work then by definition it is NOT built-in.
Old 16-04-2012, 19:59   #13
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
No, they don't.

Wake on lan by definition only works on the LAN.

For it to work remotely, you need router support - which again, Macs negotiate automatically and PCs do not. If you have manually reconfigure external devices to get it to work then by definition it is NOT built-in.
What utter rubbish.

I have to configure my router to host multiplayer games, are you going to tell me these games do not have multiplayer built in as well?

WOL works fine remotely and takes seconds to configure firewalls for. A mac wouldn't negotiate it automatically on my network due to the settings on my external firewall, so I guess macs don't have it built in either.

Or is it built in if it works out the box in your situation only?

If the windows PC was directly connected to the internet then WOL wouldn't need any external configuration. THAT is the test of if it's built in or not. If you introduce additional factors, then that those additional items have to be correctly configured does not mean something is suddenly no longer built in, it means you've introduced something that stops it working.

Sure it might be easier to use on a mac, I'm not going to argue that, but to say that it's not built in because like many many network protocols it requires configuration of routers and firewalls if they exist, is simply preposterous.
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 23:07   #14
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Slightly OT but for how many years have we heard "Macs can't get viruses" or similar
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17623422
Old 16-04-2012, 23:47   #15
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Slightly OT but for how many years have we heard "Macs can't get viruses" or similar
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17623422
Slightly OT???

The OP isn't helped any by bickering over WOL, definitions of 'built in' and viruses on Macs...