Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | HTC One X

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

TOSLINK to 3.5 mm audio conversion

Old 28-04-2012, 13:58   #1
pete_roth
Inactive

pete_roth is an unknown quantity at this point
TOSLINK to 3.5 mm audio conversion

Hi there,

I have a 5.1 surround sound system that used to go with my PC. As its input it took three 3.5 mm audio jacks and outputs 5 phono speaker signals (the unit is itself the sub woofer)
I'm trying to figure out if I can use this with my TV which has an optical TOSLINK output.

The Question: Is there any way of converting my TOSLINK TV optical signal into 6 distinct channels split over three 3.5mm audio signals. I presume that the signal would not need amplifying as the surround-sound box/sub woofer does this (I guess...). So the signal would just need to be comparable to that required to drive earphones.

Very much a novice here so any help is much appreciated.
pete_roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-04-2012, 14:13   #2
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.
Re: TOSLINK to 3.5 mm audio conversion

Hi Pete, I have half the answer to your question.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet%C2%AE-D...5614857&sr=1-3

This will convert the digital output from your TV to rca stereo. Since I don't know which type of input the 3.5mm jacks require, I can't help with that. If they are just 3 full range stereo inputs then simple splitters may work. Do you have any further info on the 5.1 kit?
Old 28-04-2012, 14:28   #3
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

You need a decoder.. The PC output was in it's component parts (SW, FR, RR, FL, RL, C) where as the optical (or coaxial) is in an encoded format.

Do an ebay search for AC3 decoder as there are lots of them on there then all you'll need is some phono to 3.5mm leads making up
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 16:01   #4
pete_roth
Inactive

Hi jempalmer - it looks like that converter would get me some of the way the, but Ideally I want to preserve the surround sound so I want to able to decode the optical signal into six distinct signals, it looks like the decoder you linked will just seperate into R and L.

The 5.1 system is Creative Inspire 5.1 5300, I'm looking for specs on it now but its now longer listed on the creative website.

Kymmy thanks, I will have a look for the AC3 decoder and post my thoughts

---------- Post added at 15:01 ---------- Previous post was at 14:48 ----------

Hi Kymmy, I *think* I've found exactly what I'm looking for:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_7210wt_916

My only concern is that its quite expensive ~£50. Does anyone know if this is a reasonable price for my requirements?
Old 28-04-2012, 17:04   #5
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

It's dear for one of them, would normally pay 35+ for one from hong kong, just also be aware that HK ones may incure a import/tax duty, but YES that is what you want
Old 28-04-2012, 17:49   #6
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

This one is less expensive, £35.98 with free shipping:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dolby-Digi...item3cbe44802b
Old 28-04-2012, 18:40   #7
pete_roth
Inactive

Thanks very much for your help. Actually alot simpler then I had dared hope for!
Old 28-04-2012, 21:00   #8
Kymmy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jempalmer View Post
This one is less expensive, £35.98 with free shipping:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dolby-Digi...item3cbe44802b
You'll need to 3.5mm stereo to twin phono for that one but yes that will work as well and you don't have to worry about import duty.

I had a Cambridge Audio V500 I bought from Richer sounds back in 2000 for many a year doing my 5.1 decoding..
Old 01-05-2012, 11:19   #9
Kymmy
Inactive

Weird this was posted as I was looking at a DD5.1 decoder all week on ebay for a project (just wasn't though gonna post a link until the auction had finished )

Ended up with this Yamaha unit for £15 delivered

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-DDP...-/130686590528