Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo performance.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

TiVo performance.

Old 19-02-2012, 16:47   #16
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: TiVo performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
To be fair the Sky+HD box has a lot less to do/process as there is not much to them. Nice box's, but low on features... My sister has a Sky+HD 1TB box.

The TiVo box is graphics/picture content rich.
Whilst this is true, there's still no excuse for it not being as quick as the Sky+HD box. Despite being content and graphic heavy, my iPhone 4S is just as quick to dial a number as my £10 pay as you go black and white screen back up phone.

This is because Apple have taken into account what needs to be done content heavy or not and put enough power in there to allow it to perform as you'd expect.

My 1TB TiVo box however doesn't change channels as fast as my 1TB Sky box.......
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-02-2012, 16:56   #17
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
Whilst this is true, there's still no excuse for it not being as quick as the Sky+HD box. Despite being content and graphic heavy, my iPhone 4S is just as quick to dial a number as my £10 pay as you go black and white screen back up phone.

This is because Apple have taken into account what needs to be done content heavy or not and put enough power in there to allow it to perform as you'd expect.

My 1TB TiVo box however doesn't change channels as fast as my 1TB Sky box.......
I've used both and the difference is minor IMHO

Oh no this is going to turn in to a VM TiVo vs Sky+HD debate
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 16:59   #18
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Isn't part of that the delivery system? Won't it always be slightly slower to change the channel on cable? When I type in a channel number the box itself responds immediately by displaying the info bar for the new channel-it's just the picture that takes time to catch up, something I've always assumed was to do with what was happening between the box and the network rather than in the box itself?
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 17:01   #19
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
Isn't part of that the delivery system? Won't it always be slightly slower to change the channel on cable? When I type in a channel number the box itself responds immediately by displaying the info bar for the new channel-it's just the picture that takes time to catch up, something I've always assumed was to do with what was happening between the box and the network rather than in the box itself?
I think it's a bit of both. With a satellite system it's just content down, where cable has a two way connection.
Old 19-02-2012, 17:05   #20
andy_m
cf.mega poster

andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
I think it's a bit of both. With a satellite system it's just content down, where cable has a two way connection.
So basically, with Sky you're already receiving the channel you're changing to, whilst with cable changing the channel involves the box sending an instruction for this to be done elsewhere?
Old 19-02-2012, 17:15   #21
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So basically, with Sky you're already receiving the channel you're changing to, whilst with cable changing the channel involves the box sending an instruction for this to be done elsewhere?
Very interesting & something that I've not heard before. It doesn't explain the speed difference when browsing the TV Guide though.

Now that TiVo are starting to get there patents enforced and money from them rolling in I'd like to see them invest that improving the UI and optimising the menu systems.
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 17:18   #22
SkyFTW
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+HD ,Sky Multiroom, Sky unlimited BB, Anytime+
SkyFTW can only hope to improve

Quote:
EH??

Do you think only 1 tv channel is being sent down your cable at a time? Then when you turn over the headend some how "switches channels" for you?

They're all there just on different frequencys, when you change channel the box just retunes to that channel.
SkyFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 17:22   #23
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
No, not like that.

---------- Post added at 16:22 ---------- Previous post was at 16:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
Very interesting & something that I've not heard before. It doesn't explain the speed difference when browsing the TV Guide though.

Now that TiVo are starting to get there patents enforced and money from them rolling in I'd like to see them invest that improving the UI and optimising the menu systems.
TV Guide is just text really so no real processing required, that's why it so fast to page through
Old 19-02-2012, 17:33   #24
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyFTW View Post
EH??

Do you think only 1 tv channel is being sent down your cable at a time? Then when you turn over the headend some how "switches channels" for you?

They're all there just on different frequencys, when you change channel the box just retunes to that channel.
I don't know how it works, hence the question mark!
Old 19-02-2012, 17:50   #25
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyFTW View Post
EH??

That's right.

I think what andy_m is describing sounds like switched video, which is used a lot by cable companies in the States, but not so much in Europe. Check out this diagram:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ca...rk_Diagram.png

The non-switched part is what's happening on VM's network, or at least, the 'last mile' from the cabinet to your home.
HDFootyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 19:01   #26
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

How is that Youtube video showing a slow Tivo? That is a perfectly acceptable speed and far faster then what it used to be. Tivo is very responsive and works brilliantly.

The difference between Sky is that it is a one way communication device only sending data down, with cable its a proper network where data is going back and forth. Its going to have some overhead which will cause it to be slower but the advantages far outweigh the negatives.

Comparing Sky which has a really basic interface against Tivo and then saying one faster then the other is silly, its the end GUI that is most important and the Tivo wins hands down.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 19:10   #27
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Must say i have had my TiVo now for about a month and i find the speed very good,hardly any slower then a mates Sky+ HD box.
Old 19-02-2012, 19:23   #28
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
How is that Youtube video showing a slow Tivo? That is a perfectly acceptable speed and far faster then what it used to be. Tivo is very responsive and works brilliantly.

The difference between Sky is that it is a one way communication device only sending data down, with cable its a proper network where data is going back and forth. Its going to have some overhead which will cause it to be slower but the advantages far outweigh the negatives.

Comparing Sky which has a really basic interface against Tivo and then saying one faster then the other is silly, its the end GUI that is most important and the Tivo wins hands down.
Totally agree
Old 19-02-2012, 20:09   #29
stereohaven
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media TiVo, V HD Box, TV XL, Broadband XL, Phone M
stereohaven is a jewel in the roughstereohaven is a jewel in the roughstereohaven is a jewel in the roughstereohaven is a jewel in the roughstereohaven is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
Quote:
Totally agree
I disagree.

Which GUI is best depends entirely on the user, so neither can ever be judged an overall winner or better/best by an individual as they will judge it on their needs. It's horses for courses.

For example, I like most of the TiVo GUI and it's additional features, although find having to press play/OK on four separate occasions when I have selected some On Demand content very irritating!

The Wife on the other hand hates the TiVo GUI full stop and much prefers the Sky GUI as it is quick, clean and (most importantly), simple.
stereohaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 20:54   #30
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Won't the whole UI speed become irrelevant in the future with more people completing tasks like setting recordings , search and browse , viewing your planner , controlling the STB through remote apps like TIVO buddy app and Sky+ with zeebox granted short term it will be the minority controlling their box in this manner but longer term with an explosion in tablets/smartphones this will increase.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote