Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cable Tidy Solution

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Windows XP loss product key

Old 23-10-2009, 10:49   #1
Mike
cf.mega poster

Mike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful one
Windows XP loss product key

Hi all

I have spent the last 6 hours trying to find the product key for my windows xp CD and I am doing a reinstallation following a virus hit !

Is there any way around it as I am pulling on hair out on this one.

Would appreciate and help or advice.

Kind regards and thanks

Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-10-2009, 10:50   #2
zing_deleted

Re: Windows XP loss product key

so the system has been deleted? if it still booted to windows it could have been recovered but if you have formatted...
Old 23-10-2009, 10:55   #3
Mike
cf.mega poster

Mike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
so the system has been deleted? if it still booted to windows it could have been recovered but if you have formatted...

I think I formatted it during the the installation as it stated there was already a OS system there and it could conflict. I am sat here with no hair and a PC stuck on the 'enter your product key' screen.

Just for info I am typing on a works laptop !

Regards

Mike
Old 23-10-2009, 11:04   #4
zing_deleted

oh dear
Old 23-10-2009, 11:21   #5
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

If the old OS has been deleted then the ONLY source of the original key is the original sticker/certificate..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 11:22   #6
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Is it possible the old OS was moved to a new folder called OLD and he may be able to recover the key from there?
Old 23-10-2009, 11:48   #7
Sir John Luke
Inactive

Sir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful one

Best bet, if you still have proof of purchase, is to contact Microsoft for a replacement key.
Sir John Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 11:55   #8
Wayfair
Inactive

Services: Virgin tinterweb, Tivo with an extra large package 'oh yes' and a speaky thing...
Wayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze array
Wayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze array

I have a couple of keys from old systems that have long been binned if you need one, I think I have two home and one pro.
Wayfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 12:04   #9
migibro
Inactive

migibro is an unknown quantity at this point

[Mod Edit(Rob M): Removed]

Providing information on how to evade or bypass the security features within software so as to enable that software to be used other than in a strictly legitimate manner is not permitted here.
migibro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 12:07   #10
zing_deleted

you need a key to install windows in the first place. This is also dodgy information you are posting but thats not my concern
Old 23-10-2009, 12:11   #11
migibro
Inactive

migibro is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
you need a key to install windows in the first place. This is also dodgy information you are posting but thats not my concern
How is it dodgy information, this is a way to get around the thing and it works !
migibro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 12:16   #12
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by migibro View Post
How is it dodgy information, this is a way to get around the thing and it works !
That's why it's dodgy, the forum rules are you're not aloud to discuss ways of using software illegally.
Old 23-10-2009, 12:22   #13
zing_deleted

Quote:
not gonna discuss it as its not part of the topic and my opinion does not matter anyway oh and it wouldnt work as the op does not have a key to install windows in the first place

Wayfairs offer seems the best so far
Old 23-10-2009, 12:30   #14
Mike
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfair View Post
I have a couple of keys from old systems that have long been binned if you need one, I think I have two home and one pro.
Hi Wayfair.

Many thanks for the offer of help. I have sent you a pm and it would be great if your come help.

Regards

Mike
Old 23-10-2009, 12:33   #15
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Bypassing the security providing features on a piece of software to enable it to be used contrary to the manufacturer's specification, and potentially without paying for it, is 'dodgy' to say the very least. Depending on the country, and the extant conditions of your operation of the software, you may even be committing an offence.

For those reasons such discussion isn't allowed here.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote