Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Can Tivo record a program if it's running late?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Can Tivo record a program if it's running late?

Old 10-04-2011, 02:48   #1
REM
Inactive

Services: TV Full House V6 200Mb/s + Telephone
REM is just really niceREM is just really niceREM is just really niceREM is just really niceREM is just really niceREM is just really nice
Can Tivo record a program if it's running late?

I am sorry if this has been discussed but I did a search here and on google and could not find anything relevant.

I remember years ago on terrestrial TV that they started to broadcast a signal that would allow recorders to record a program in full even it it was late starting.

I think the system had a three letter name but I cannot remember.

Is this system still used today and more importantly is it available through VM and will Tivo use it or does Tivo do a similar thing through some other method.
REM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2011, 06:15   #2
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
Re: Can Tivo record a program if it's running late?

Request for delete, Completely wrong thread, Apologies
Old 10-04-2011, 09:51   #3
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post
I am sorry if this has been discussed but I did a search here and on google and could not find anything relevant.

I remember years ago on terrestrial TV that they started to broadcast a signal that would allow recorders to record a program in full even it it was late starting.

I think the system had a three letter name but I cannot remember.

Is this system still used today and more importantly is it available through VM and will Tivo use it or does Tivo do a similar thing through some other method.
I think you are referring to Programme Delivery Control, or PDC as it is more widely known. Freeview+ uses a very similar system that is based on PDC but they call it something else.

Tivo dosen't have that feature or a dynamic EPG (a guide that updates instantly with commands sent by the platform or broadcaster, as used by BSkyB on some of the channels on their platform).

I believe Tivo gives an option to pad a live programme when you add it to your recording planner, or of course you can just set your own padding on any show much like with V+.
mersey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:22   #4
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

PDC is specific to analogue TV (it sends the data in the same way as teletext). The DVB digital TV standards were designed from scratch to allow real-time updates, so don't need PDC.

The snag is TiVo doesn't use DVB mechanisms to get its EPG data. Instead the TiVo pulls the data from a server when it feels like it. So if the data on the server gets updated, there is a delay before it appears on the TiVo. There currently isn't a way to update all TiVos instantly.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 17:42   #5
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

The V+'s seem to spring to life once an hour for a couple of minutes so that is probably the EPG update, but I think the Tivo uses a different EPG.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 19:00   #6
HandsOfBlue
Inactive

Services: VIP50 TIVO
HandsOfBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

V+ updates once a day, just after midnight I think.
HandsOfBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 19:35   #7
TonyHoyle
Inactive

TonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about themTonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about themTonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about themTonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about them

Tivo has a live connection to VM but whether it can do EPG updates in any useful timeframe is unknown (under system preferences you'll see 'Real-Time connection active'). The full update seem to be about every 25 hours so the time changes constantly.

Padding is somewhat necessary on all systems.. I remember how poor PDC actually was in execution, as the broadcasters never bothered actually updating it (and Sky suffers from similar problems which is why they have padding options, too). Luckily discounting sport, which always overrruns, schedules are fairly fixed.
TonyHoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 21:07   #8
OLDGOLD
cf.addict

OLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyHoyle View Post
... Luckily discounting sport, which always overrruns, schedules are fairly fixed.
Apart from BBC and Channel 4. I have had numerous problems with their schedule running late. With 5 minutes of padding, I've missed the end of several BBC programmes. Have since changed it to 10 minutes, but for HD recordings this wastes valuable disk space on V+HD. Roll on TiVo, if only for the 1TB drive!
OLDGOLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 21:12   #9
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDGOLD View Post
Apart from BBC and Channel 4. I have had numerous problems with their schedule running late. With 5 minutes of padding, I've missed the end of several BBC programmes. Have since changed it to 10 minutes, but for HD recordings this wastes valuable disk space on V+HD. Roll on TiVo, if only for the 1TB drive!
Got to admit my V+ was pretty reliable bar sport on ESPN.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 19:36   #10
REM
Inactive

Services: TV Full House V6 200Mb/s + Telephone
REM is just really niceREM is just really niceREM is just really niceREM is just really niceREM is just really niceREM is just really nice

Thanks for the info. Not what I wanted to hear though
REM is offline   Reply With Quote