Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Creating a second web site within Virgin Media webspace

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service > Webspace, E-Mail & Browsing Issues

Creating a second web site within Virgin Media webspace

Old 10-09-2008, 22:02   #1
jimh
Inactive

jimh is an unknown quantity at this point
Creating a second web site within Virgin Media webspace

Hi
I've had a web site for a year or two using Terrapin ftp to upload it to my Virgin Media Webspace.

I now want to upload a second site, independant from the first.

Try as I might I'm unable to do it and Terrapin don't seem to want to reply to any of my e mails so I'm hoping someone here can talk me through it.

I've been told by Virgin Media support that their web space is not designed to host more than one site. They do however say that it can be done using Directories but it is beyond their support scope for PWP.

I think that I have to upload the second site into a folder on the Server using Terrapin but I can't work out how to do it.

I'd greatly appreciate it if there is anyone who understands Terrapin ftp and can explain how to go about it.
Thank you
JimH
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2008, 22:22   #2
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Re: Creating a second web site within Virgin Media webspace

to the forums.

I don't know TerrapinFTP but use one called WSFTP95LE.
On one side you see your PC, on the other your webspace. You then transfer what you want.
Available here:
ftp://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror...p/ws_ftp32.zip

Lets say you create your website. Save all your pages in one folder.
Then transfer that folder and all it's contents to your webspace.

So in your webspace you could have two folders eg. site1 and site2.
In these folders you then have all your images and pages, etc.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 22:34   #3
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Can't you just create 2 folders on the server, one for each site with your pages named differently in each? To use 2 index pages, you could try 'index.htm' and 'index.html'. If you're pointing domain names at your sites you can of course call the pages whatever you like.
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 22:46   #4
whydoIneedatech

Services: VIRGIN MEDIA , 20 Mb BB, V+ Box, XL Phone and 2 Virgin Mobiles

Here is a link to Virgins information page regarding Webspace.

http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/webspace/
Old 10-09-2008, 23:08   #5
ikthius
Inactive

Services: anything for a new job
ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze
ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze

you can do it if it is just basic html javascript, but no server languages or databases ifrc....

like this:

Code:
Your NTL Home Page
     Website 1     (domain name specifying this directory www.abc1.co.uk)
          Index.html
          contact.html
          etc
     Website 2     (domain name specifying this directory www.abc2.co.uk)
          index.html
          contact.html
          etc
ta da,

you have 2 websites, as long as you are within the quota of space for both sites combined.

Edit: ditch terapin and get FileZilla instead, its free and you dont have to renew any subscriptions, last time I used terrapin, they wanted to charge to keep using it.

in fact, here is my website NTL site with 3 sites on it:
www.woskf.co.uk
www.rickywaddell.com
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.kelly...omb/index.html

all these sites have the same start but are in different directories
ikthius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 23:44   #6
jimh
Inactive

Thanks for the quick response. I have tried lumping both sites together, giving one index page a different name and uploading it.
I just tried it again using index.htm for the second site but it doesn't work. When I try to open the second site it takes me to Net Benefit where the Domain Name is registered!

This is what Virginmedia support told me.........

When uploading your website you upload it to a 'root' directory. Should you wish to have a second site hosted on the same PWP space you would need to create a new directory and upload the files to that directory within the FTP.

To access the second site you would use 'http://your.website.address/2ndsite'

Where 'your.website.address' is the current web address you use and the '2ndsite' is the name of the directory you created to store the files.

The trouble is I don't really understand it. Is my website address the address of my first site and if so do I put the whole of the url in there?
Likewise what is the name of the directory I created to store the files? The files are uploaded to upload.ntlworld.com and the name I have for them is time-to-drive taken from the full address www.time-to-drive.co.uk how much of that do I put in. I have tried lots of combinations but there must be something I'm not doing right.
Or are they saying that to access the site from your browser you must enter the first sites url with the second sites name on the end of it?

---------- Post added at 22:44 ---------- Previous post was at 22:27 ----------

Thanks Ikthius I can see you know what your doing but I shall have to think about the code a bit.
If I can't sort it soon I'll try FileZilla. I've got nothing to lose if it's free
Old 11-09-2008, 00:31   #7
chickendippers
Inactive

Services: On-cable: TV-L, BB-L, Phone-M. Off-cable: Sky+ HD, Plusnet Unlimited.
chickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to chickendippers

How are the domain names being pointed to your website? Is it a simple forwarder?
chickendippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 00:54   #8
jimh
Inactive

I've moved things on a bit and I can now access both my sites with the following addresses.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/higgsofhambleden/index http://homepage.ntlworld.com/time-to-drive/Index

I'm not 100% sure how I did it but Ikthius put me on the right track.

I'm disappointed however that the addresses are so long and have no relationship to the content. While www.higgsofhambleden.co.uk still works www.time-to-drive.co.uk doesn't
How does that affect searchability/ratings with Google?

I'm sorry chickendipper but I don't know what a simple forwarder is. While I've learnt a bit of html the original uploading of my single site was very easy. I've never had to do it again until now and I never dreamt it would cause me any problem until I tried.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:20   #9
ikthius
Inactive

ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze
ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze

have you bought a web domain for both?

for example, look at my woskf & rickywaddell sites...

they are both hosted at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.kelly627/
woskf
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.kelly627/woskf/index.html
rickywaddell
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.kelly627/ricky/index.html

the site itself is the ntl site, remember you need your actual homepage not so in my case its the j.kelly627

in there I have many folders example, woskf & ricky
within them I have image folders for each site

now I use FTP to upload the whole folder (directory) to where I want it to be, so if you make a site locally (on your machine not on the net) and it works, call the root folder something unisue to what it is going to be about and upload that folder, it should still all work online.

so now on to the domain names....
when you bought your domain names, did you buy it and point it somewhere? if so, I personally use a forwarding option, so when you enter www.woskf.co.uk it forwards you to my http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.kelly627/woskf/index.html page, so the url is still long, but not when I first entered it. I prefer this option cause if you take the frame option, I find that harder to fix problems, framing the url means that no matter where on your site(s) you go e.g. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.kelly627/woskf/index.html framing just shows you: www.woskf.co.uk no index.html no contact.html it shows you no page and extension, cause you told the domain name to frame the site.

so to recap...

make your 2 sites in independant folders (directories)
make sure your first page in each site has its own index.html
upload both folders (directories) to your ntl site
make your domain names point to exactly the space you want to use.

voila you have your 2 sites

---------- Post added at 07:20 ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
I've moved things on a bit and I can now access both my sites with the following addresses.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/higgsofhambleden/index http://homepage.ntlworld.com/time-to-drive/Index

I'm not 100% sure how I did it but Ikthius put me on the right track.

I'm disappointed however that the addresses are so long and have no relationship to the content. While www.higgsofhambleden.co.uk still works www.time-to-drive.co.uk doesn't
How does that affect searchability/ratings with Google?

I'm sorry chickendipper but I don't know what a simple forwarder is. While I've learnt a bit of html the original uploading of my single site was very easy. I've never had to do it again until now and I never dreamt it would cause me any problem until I tried.
em remember you need your ntl account in the domain of your ntl otherwise it is going to ntl's actual site, and they dont have a directory (folder) with that name sitting where you have pointed it to
Old 11-09-2008, 08:40   #10
jimh
Inactive

I thought I'd done it but when I try the links above they don't work so it doesn't look as if I have. I bought both the Domain names from Net Benefit.
When I set up my own site I don't think I did anything other than buy it and then upload it to upload.ntlworld.com with Terrapin, using www.higgsofhambleden.co.uk as the site name and it's worked perfectly ever since.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:37   #11
chickendippers
Inactive

Services: On-cable: TV-L, BB-L, Phone-M. Off-cable: Sky+ HD, Plusnet Unlimited.
chickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to chickendippers

You must have set a setting at Net Benefit to tell higgsofhambleden.co.uk to go to your Virgin Media Webspace.
chickendippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 16:43   #12
ikthius
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
I thought I'd done it but when I try the links above they don't work so it doesn't look as if I have. I bought both the Domain names from Net Benefit.
When I set up my own site I don't think I did anything other than buy it and then upload it to upload.ntlworld.com with Terrapin, using www.higgsofhambleden.co.uk as the site name and it's worked perfectly ever since.
what is your username for NTL???

mine is j.kelly627 this is where you your files get stored.

so you use the upload.ntlworld.com but it wants your username and password, this then makes sure your on the NTL structure and then uploads the files to the username websapce.

in fact if you think about it NTL have given you a folder.
homepage.ntlwprld.com/your_username_folder/folder 1/index
homepage.ntlwprld.com/your_username_folder/folder 2/index

so although you are uploading to ntl we all are, the username then tells NTL where to store files
homepage.ntlwprld.com/my_username_folder/folder 1/index
homepage.ntlwprld.com/my_username_folder/folder 1/index

then make sure that your domain name provider is pointing to the right folder.
Old 13-09-2008, 00:02   #13
jimh
Inactive

Just to finish this thread off I finally cracked it with Ikthius' help.

Thanks to everyone for helping

Jim