Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Star Trek: Discovery

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television

Star Trek: Discovery

Old 26-09-2017, 20:59   #196
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

well I can't believe I am saying this but I really really like it. Yes there are some niggly bits but there is more than enough Trek in it at the mo to keep me interested. The techno jargon got me hooked from the start and adds to the "realism" factor which I have mentioned so many times before. The special effects are superb and all I need now is the universe expanding and seeing more of the ship, planets and space stations etc to make the whole thing real.

It is really good and the way I know how much I like is because I want to watch the next episode now and would happily stay up all night and watch them back to back if they were released all at the same time like other Netflix series.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-09-2017, 21:01   #197
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Watched it again earlier, really don't like the Klingon look and also they sound too muffled and like they aren't speaking proper Klingon lanfuage that we already know. I also hope they drop the JJ lens flare and silly angles for everything as well as the fast cuts.

Hopefully episode 3 will be better as we actually get to see the Discovery and meet the crew.
Old 26-09-2017, 21:11   #198
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

One issue with the version I saw was that there were no sub titles for the Kingons, so it was impossible to know what was being said, which made following those bits very hard, I'm sure they think it adds to the "realism" but please, just speak English.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 21:19   #199
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Netflix and the version I downloaded had subtitles.

Also some info about episode 3. Its like another pilot! (As I suspected) Also Season 2is likely to be early 2019.

https://trekmovie.com/2017/09/25/sta...ect-coming-up/
Quote:
There’s a time jump. It’s not a radical time jump. In many ways we designed episode 3 to almost be a new pilot. People were set up to expect one thing, and something very different episodes. The USS Discovery doesn’t show up until the third episode, along with its crew — which is our main cast. Burnham and the audience are going to have a reset. Burnham believes she’s headed to a prison colony and is met with an unexpected surprise that has to do with the Discovery and its captain.
Old 26-09-2017, 23:00   #200
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

I thought both episodes were good.

It's totally pointless trying to compare the visuals with TOS.

Looks like The ship Discovery might be a Dirty Dozen type set up, that could be interesting.
Old 27-09-2017, 00:34   #201
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

It's not pointless as it's set around ToS.
Old 27-09-2017, 07:40   #202
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

I really enjoyed it. Suprised it wasn't in 4k, those visuals deserve it
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 09:18   #203
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Not a patch on Blake's 7.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 10:45   #204
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Thought it was great.
Old 27-09-2017, 16:10   #205
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
It's not pointless as it's set around ToS.
It is pretty pointless tbh.
TOS was made 50 years ago, you cannot expect Discovery to look like something made so long ago.

I got hold of versions with the Klingon sub titles and watched them both again, it made a bit more sense this time.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 17:16   #206
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

I know they won't make it look the same but they could at least try to make it look/feel similar as we know this is set 10 years prior to Kirk and crew.

So having sounds and similar looking ships is only right. If the ships look more advanced than they do in Voyager then they should just have set the series after that.

They also used the TMP red alart display on a screen on the ship.

I fun little easter egg I have seen is that the shelf in Captain Georiou's ready room has a load of books and on a close up photo I saw all the books are titles of ToS stories.
Old 27-09-2017, 18:20   #207
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Annoyingly a lot of the ship sound effects seemed to be from TNG, for me it would have been better for them to be from Enterprise.
Old 27-09-2017, 18:35   #208
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Not a patch on Blake's 7.
But we are not talking about that though Mr K.

---------- Post added at 17:35 ---------- Previous post was at 17:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Thought it was great.
Likewise.
Old 27-09-2017, 19:26   #209
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I actictivated my fry free Netflix trial just now, got Somme free time at the weekend so I’m looking forward to seeing it.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 20:30   #210
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilli-theclaw View Post
I actictivated my fry free Netflix trial just now, got Somme free time at the weekend so I’m looking forward to seeing it.
Just watched them both and enjoyed it
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote