Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 04:36   #2401
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Apart from Luther the top 10 looks pretty grim.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:17   #2402
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I read the following article with interest.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/09/n...-apple-google/

I've long said and been laughed at on here that Google and Apple will eventually have more of a say when it comes to streaming whilst this is only 3 games it really would give them the opportunity to assess whether these packages are viable.

Apple already has its tv box , what's to stop it selling these bundled with its own streaming service , it certainly has the money to develop a product or even buy a current streaming serice like Netflix.

With global reach these services could offer relatively cheap subscription packages and still make huge sums from advertising. Youtube Red already offers ad free Youtube and Google Play Music throw in a Netflix type service for say £15 a month and I'm sure people would snap it up.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:47   #2403
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
BBC Iplayers most requested over Christmas , looking at that list no wonder I rarely watch the BBC.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/eastend...ver-christmas/
And they have the front to demand £146 a year upon pain of being dragged through the courts for this rubbish.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:49   #2404
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Apart from Luther the top 10 looks pretty grim.

Den, do you sleep................
Old 09-01-2016, 12:54   #2405
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Den, do you sleep................
ten till four last night as l am not the best sleeper in the world due to my ongoing discomforts.
Old 09-01-2016, 20:23   #2406
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
Time Warner has a lot of content, plus they can do the same as Netflix, if they don't have the rights in a particular country they just won't make it available. They also have a huge back catalogue and any service they are planning will take a few years to plan and rollout so you can imagine by the time it comes to the UK 2020 probably won't be that far away anyway.

It is nice to hear potential streaming services providers are thinking global rather then just single market. But I think any single provider will have a up hill battle against Netflix who show content from anyone willing to do business with them. A Time Warner service would be just shows and movies from their stables and I bet you would still have TV shows being available in the US first.

Netflix have done a lot right and I don't think the old guard are ready to start thinking in global terms just yet.
I compare this to when DVDs first came out and to this day, are still released on a region to region basis.

The big media and electronics companies wanted different DVD regions, but in the end if you wanted to watch a film from a different region there were ways and means.

It always amazed then and still does, that I used to be able to order a DVD from a Canadian or Australian store and it arrived within 2 days and all for under £10. All UK prices cost more (HMV etc a LOT more) and it always took a week or more for the discs to arrive.

I think Netflix is a disrupter to shake the old guard (the big media giants) and I agree they have done a lot right. But I think that is changing, they are getting too complacent, raising prices, taking liberties with customers by removing content and not giving forewarning of it etc.

Whether it be Time Warner first, Murdoch, or one of the others, eventually they'll adapt (kicking and screaming) and will come up with something better than Netflix.
Old 10-01-2016, 00:08   #2407
Horizon
Media Watcher

Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

An update on the Time Warner story is that they're hoping to start offering boxsets on TW owned channels:

http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/09/t...emand-seasons/

---------- Post added 10-01-2016 at 00:08 ---------- Previous post was 09-01-2016 at 23:40 ----------

One final link about how the global tv market is changing and streaming services are part of that:

http://variety.com/2016/tv/awards/go...-4-1201671700/
Old 10-01-2016, 13:04   #2408
steveh
Inactive

steveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of light

I think you underestimate the technological advantage that Netflix have, both in delivery infrastructure and algorithms / data. In round one against print media the Internet giants won, in round two against the music companies they won, in round three against the mobile companies they won and - while nothing's certain - in round four against pay TV I'd bet they'll win again.
Old 10-01-2016, 13:21   #2409
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
I think you underestimate the technological advantage that Netflix have, both in delivery infrastructure and algorithms / data. In round one against print media the Internet giants won, in round two against the music companies they won, in round three against the mobile companies they won and - while nothing's certain - in round four against pay TV I'd bet they'll win again.
Agreed however don't forget the traditional broadcasters have a far greater amount of content at their disposal , content they can easily move to their own services leaving Netflix with nothing but it's originals.
Old 10-01-2016, 15:14   #2410
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Agreed however don't forget the traditional broadcasters have a far greater amount of content at their disposal , content they can easily move to their own services leaving Netflix with nothing but it's originals.
Very true but in fairness a lot of Netflix originals as of late have been way better than what the big networks have produced, i think we are going to see the big networks start up their own on demand services allready cbs have done it with cbs access which is about £3p/m i think the likes of WB etc would need to look along the lines of that kind of price range to be succesful.
Old 10-01-2016, 21:02   #2411
Horizon
Media Watcher

ABC have an idea about how the online/streaming tv world might evolve, at least for them, but putting more adult versions of its shows online (it's an interesting idea!):

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/abc-...on-1201675959/

---------- Post added at 21:02 ---------- Previous post was at 20:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
I agree in part, but as I'm talking a lot about Time Warner at the moment, remember it wasn't that long ago when the company was called AOL Time Warner. The AOL bit being the "better" bit, at least according to some at the time.

But I don't understand your first point about Netflix's delivery infrastructure, what infrastructure? They don't own any delivery methods that I'm aware of, ie cable/telecom cos.

But again, I don't understand your remark about mobile. We still have mobile companies.

Your point about music companies is particularly on the mark, the music companies didn't see the threat of the internet on their business until it was too late. Again, on Time Warner, a large part of their business was music..was....

I think with the tv networks though, its different, as they create content whereas the music industry was just the middle men between the singers/songwriters and customers.
Old 11-01-2016, 16:10   #2412
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

I worked for TimeWarner for fifteen years. To be honest, the current management has a poor track record with adopting new technologies and usually chooses to sell divisions rather than adapt (e.g. Warner Music, AOL, TW Cable, Time Inc., etc). TimeWarner had a relatively poor 2015 and there's discontent on Wall Street so I think you're more likely to see the company being bought up by a cash-rich Fox or Amazon this year rather than see over-the-top innovation from TW.
http://nypost.com/2016/01/10/time-wa...le-of-company/
Old 11-01-2016, 20:17   #2413
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post

I think Netflix is a disrupter to shake the old guard (the big media giants) and I agree they have done a lot right. But I think that is changing, they are getting too complacent, raising prices, taking liberties with customers by removing content and not giving forewarning of it etc.
I am not sure how you say they are getting complacent? All companies have to raise prices, the service was dirt cheap £5.99, they raised prices but told existing customers they would keep paying the old price for 18 months (I can't remember the exact time frame).

Their HD package is £7.49, add in a DNS service, and you pretty much have unlimited content. Prices have gone up but it has been poured into making superb originals, Networks have been making rubbish superhero TV shows for decade and Netflix comes along and hits it out of the park with their first attempt. In fact they have gotten so good at their originals that network TV doesn't excite me at all anymore.

Quote:
There is already talk of some networks wanting to delay the time frame in which it sells content to Netflix, I think TW has even publicly mentioned maybe holding onto content for 2 to 3 years before allowing them access. Here is the thing I think the Networks are about to get a rude awakening their content isn't that good, Netflix is producing HBO and Showtime quality shows, they are ramping up to 31 new shows this year.

While the quality of shows on Netflix is consistent, Network TV is struggling, people are fed up of shows being cancelled after one season, they are churning out cop procedural shows one after the other.

Netflix has almost 70 million subscribers worldwide, and they just launched in 130 new countries last week, they will easily break the 100 million. No one has that kind of reach, sell your show to Netflix and you have a global audience, you can generate global buzz about your show.

TW may talk about it but if they launch it will be US only for years, look at Hulu they have had to abandon their plans for the UK as they simply couldn't get the content deals.
Old 11-01-2016, 20:34   #2414
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post

There is already talk of some networks wanting to delay the time frame in which it sells content to Netflix, I think TW has even publicly mentioned maybe holding onto content for 2 to 3 years before allowing them access. .
One premium cable network has come out against that idea (can't remember which one, but I did post it at the time) because airing the previous season on Netflix, before the new one begins, generates viewers for the up-coming season.
Old 11-01-2016, 20:56   #2415
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Ridiculous 6 now thats good.
Closed Thread