Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 09:42   #1951
Bobby Dazzler
Inactive

Bobby Dazzler is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Ive seen a few on here mention streaming with Kodi and i have a question.

Am i right in thinking that Kodi uses Torrents for streaming?
Ifso do you need to use a VPN with it?
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2015, 10:01   #1952
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Dazzler View Post
Ive seen a few on here mention streaming with Kodi and i have a question.

Am i right in thinking that Kodi uses Torrents for streaming?
Ifso do you need to use a VPN with it?
Certain kodi addons use illegal streaming sites such as icefilms, most are blocked by the big 5 so a vpn would be required to use them to get around the block, however some smart dns providers work too.
If you wanted to use the legal addons such as ABC family, food network, travel, crackle etc you would require a smart dns or vpn as they are USA channels.
However there are a few legit UK addons such as filmon, bbc iplayer, itv player that won't require a vpn.
Some sevices such as NBCSports would require both a vpn and a usa tv provider login such as Xfinity, you would need to know someone in the USA with that service to get a login.
Kodi can be used to stream your personal media from your computer/server across devices too.
You would also require the correct addon repo too to get the streaming service you want ABC Family, Food network, NBCSports are in kodis own repo so there is no need to add additional repos from them, however BBC Iplayer, itv player are in different repos.Your best bet is youtube videos they will give you step by step guides on how to add repos/addons etc.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:19   #1953
Bobby Dazzler
Inactive

Bobby Dazzler is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Certain kodi addons use illegal streaming sites such as icefilms, most are blocked by the big 5 so a vpn would be required to use them to get around the block, however some smart dns providers work too.
If you wanted to use the legal addons such as ABC family, food network, travel, crackle etc you would require a smart dns or vpn as they are USA channels.
However there are a few legit UK addons such as filmon, bbc iplayer, itv player that won't require a vpn.
Some sevices such as NBCSports would require both a vpn and a usa tv provider login such as Xfinity, you would need to know someone in the USA with that service to get a login.
Kodi can be used to stream your personal media from your computer/server across devices too.
You would also require the correct addon repo too to get the streaming service you want ABC Family, Food network, NBCSports are in kodis own repo so there is no need to add additional repos from them, however BBC Iplayer, itv player are in different repos.Your best bet is youtube videos they will give you step by step guides on how to add repos/addons etc.
Thanks for the info mate, ill Google it and take a look on Youtube to see if i can figure it all out.
Old 12-09-2015, 22:41   #1954
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

My V+ box has died, so i'm trying to watch the things that I want to see via the catch up services on the internet.

The iplayer is usually fine, ALL 4 and Demand 5 are ok, but there is a bit of buffering.

The ITV Player is impossible to use. It starts, often buffers and sometimes keeps you waiting (whilst you think it's buffering) for ages before giving a message that it has stopped working!

Re-loading it means that you have to go through all the adverts again (funnily enough, the adverts often play perfectly, then it's back to buffering when the programme resumes).

I tried using a belfast postcode, but I still couldn't access the UTV Player.

When trying to "FF" or go back, I find that it buffers as well, meaning it can take more time to FF than cutting out the bit of the prigramme that you weren't interested in!

Is my first real experience of streaming services representative of what to expect?

It's bad enough with what i'm trying to do, but i'd be much more annoyed if I was paying a subscription for the service.
Old 13-09-2015, 00:02   #1955
Dash: CF noob
cf.geek

Services: VM MAXIT TV360 Volt 1gb. SH5 WIN 10 7" Tab, Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Dash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of society

Try STV.
Old 13-09-2015, 00:32   #1956
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Hulu are now doing a comercial free option for $11.99p/m about £7.77.
Old 13-09-2015, 01:30   #1957
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash: CF noob View Post
Try STV.
Thanks- I'll give it a try
Old 13-09-2015, 01:34   #1958
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
My V+ box has died, so i'm trying to watch the things that I want to see via the catch up services on the internet.

The iplayer is usually fine, ALL 4 and Demand 5 are ok, but there is a bit of buffering.

The ITV Player is impossible to use. It starts, often buffers and sometimes keeps you waiting (whilst you think it's buffering) for ages before giving a message that it has stopped working!

Re-loading it means that you have to go through all the adverts again (funnily enough, the adverts often play perfectly, then it's back to buffering when the programme resumes).

I tried using a belfast postcode, but I still couldn't access the UTV Player.

When trying to "FF" or go back, I find that it buffers as well, meaning it can take more time to FF than cutting out the bit of the prigramme that you weren't interested in!

Is my first real experience of streaming services representative of what to expect?

It's bad enough with what i'm trying to do, but i'd be much more annoyed if I was paying a subscription for the service.
Very rare i have any issues with the big 4 catch up services on my samsung tv the one that gives me a bit of trouble sometimes is demand5, the players quality and reliability can vary depending on what devive you use i think for example all4 plays up on my pc yet works perfectly on my samsung smart tv.
The paid ones i use Netflix,nowtv, hulu+ i never have any trouble at all with yet hbogo can buffer a lot.
Old 13-09-2015, 17:00   #1959
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash: CF noob View Post
Try STV.
I tried STV out and it's much better- about on a parr with Channel 4 & 5, but not as good as the iPlayer. I input the postcode of a hotel that i've stayed at and it accepted it, unlike UTV which still wouldn't allow me to access it. One good thing about STV is that you can move the cursor on until the end of each advert- very useful if it does crash.

Quote:
Very rare i have any issues with the big 4 catch up services on my samsung tv the one that gives me a bit of trouble sometimes is demand5, the players quality and reliability can vary depending on what devive you use i think for example all4 plays up on my pc yet works perfectly on my samsung smart tv.
The paid ones i use Netflix,nowtv, hulu+ i never have any trouble at all with yet hbogo can buffer a lot.
I wonder if the subscription services have more bandwidth, test their services out with more devices or something? People will moan about a 'free' service, but I'm sure they'd cancel if they were paying for it.
Old 15-09-2015, 19:22   #1960
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I also wonder if the problems that i'm experiencing are due to me being on the lowest BB speed. Ironically, I chose this speed because I don't normally stream services
Old 15-09-2015, 19:32   #1961
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
I also wonder if the problems that i'm experiencing are due to me being on the lowest BB speed. Ironically, I chose this speed because I don't normally stream services
If it is then VM are truly awful in your area as i'm on 38mbs with BT and can stream ultra hd no problem, with my ps3 online gaming and pc online gaming too and still have plenty let over to surf the web etc.
Yes i have tested this out lol.
Old 15-09-2015, 21:05   #1962
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
If it is then VM are truly awful in your area as i'm on 38mbs with BT and can stream ultra hd no problem, with my ps3 online gaming and pc online gaming too and still have plenty let over to surf the web etc.
Yes i have tested this out lol.
I think i'm on the up to 50mbs package, so it can't be my speed that's the issue then
Old 15-09-2015, 21:12   #1963
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
I think i'm on the up to 50mbs package, so it can't be my speed that's the issue then
Have vm over subscribed in your area? They have form for this.
Old 17-09-2015, 04:08   #1964
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Have vm over subscribed in your area? They have form for this.
Don't know. How would I find out?
Old 17-09-2015, 06:22   #1965
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

First Six Star Wars Films Coming to Netflix.

http://diregeek.com/article.asp?id=1...ng+to+Netflix+