Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linux-based Satellite Boxes

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Linux-based Satellite Boxes

Old 01-09-2012, 12:16   #1
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age
Linux-based Satellite Boxes

Does anyone here know anything about these?

Back in my day you had a Sky box or nothing. Now it seems like there's a whole load of Linux-based Satellite boxes available. Is there a 'primer' or 'FAQ' somewhere that I can use to get up-to-speed on what they can do and which is the "best" one?

I am looking for a good DVR that can see more than one satellite and add one or more channels from any it can see.

(Not for me. I'm happy with VM. It's for my parents.)

I know I can go out and buy WotSat but they only feature a few each month and I'm only looking for an over-view at this stage anyway

Thanks.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2012, 12:24   #2
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
Re: Linux-based Satellite Boxes

I have had one of these. Google Dreambox. If you want a DVR then you might want a Dreambox 800HD
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:27   #3
tizmeinnit

a lot of what a Linux bases Sat box can do can not be discussed here

There have always been alternatives to Sky if you invest in a motorised dish you can access loads of satellites

I have only seen a couple and they have been pretty poor. The channel guides have been quite naff and the recording facility poor also although as I say I have only seen a couple
Old 01-09-2012, 12:32   #4
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

I've had a Mutant (now called a IPbox) for over 5 years (gonna update it soon but will go for a similar just higher spec)

Just about all sat boxes are designed for more than one sat (apart from sky or freesat) and have diseqc control or switching. To get two sats that you'll need a twin monobloc LNB or a bracket for two single lnb or a motorized dish. brackets are available for more LNB's but above two a motor is preferable.

As far as linux sat box it depends on what you want to do with them.. they're more handy for streaming too/from a server, adding features but for standard multisat/dvr a non-linux box is just as good and will provide you with the features you've mentioned.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:48   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Does anyone here know anything about these?

Back in my day you had a Sky box or nothing. Now it seems like there's a whole load of Linux-based Satellite boxes available. Is there a 'primer' or 'FAQ' somewhere that I can use to get up-to-speed on what they can do and which is the "best" one?

I am looking for a good DVR that can see more than one satellite and add one or more channels from any it can see.

(Not for me. I'm happy with VM. It's for my parents.)

I know I can go out and buy WotSat but they only feature a few each month and I'm only looking for an over-view at this stage anyway

Thanks.
Do your parents have particularly eclectic continental viewing tastes, or are they electronics or sat hobbyists? The sort of kit you're thinking of procuring for them seems a little OTT for regular British viewing.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 13:19   #6
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

From the OP it seems that he's getting confused between FTA and linux based sat receviers.. and it's FTA that he's after which with a multi lnb or motor setup can recieve more than one sat, a linux box is just a type of fta that uses the linux OS as it's firmware so tends to be a bit more configurable if you have the knowledge to do so.
Old 01-09-2012, 14:25   #7
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Do your parents have particularly eclectic continental viewing tastes, or are they electronics or sat hobbyists?
Not really. Well, my dad maybe a little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
From the OP it seems that he's getting confused between FTA and linux based sat receviers.. and it's FTA that he's after which with a multi lnb or motor setup can recieve more than one sat, a linux box is just a type of fta that uses the linux OS as it's firmware so tends to be a bit more configurable if you have the knowledge to do so.
Not really confused, kymmy. I know what "FTA" means and I know what a "linux-based sat receiver" means.

Probably just not always good at explaining things.

They have the Humax (BBC) Freesat box at the moment that can be made to pick up stations from any other satellite it can see and there is one particular channel (Propeller TV) that they would like to be able to receive due to some content that my Mum wants to watch; The Painting & Drawing Channel stuff, 4pm every day.

Unforunately, the way that the Humax works you can have it either/or freesat/non-freesat but not both at the same time; and you can't set fave channels in non-freesat modee either.

So I was just wondering if another box could provide a solution.

Needs to be HD, capable of recording, have an EPG and ability to store fave channels from any satellite it can see. Streaming (other than a network connection for, eg, iPlayer) not required. Easily installable (ie idiot-proof) hacks* might be nice too.

(* I am assuming this is the stuff "we can't talk about on here" someone mentioned? Fair enough. I won't then.)
Old 01-09-2012, 15:46   #8
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Fair enough, although the cost and hassle of setting up multiple LNBs or a motorised dish, and buying an additional STB when they already have a Freesat one, still seems a bit OTT to me for the sake of one channel. Especially when there's every chance Propeller will be added to the Freesat EPG eventually, if it's already a fully FTA channel.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 17:26   #9
Kymmy
Inactive

No linux box has a freesat mode so if installed you will have a myrad of channels where only a few are needed.. You can though import the channel listing into a PC via ethernet and remove/favortize them. Also the EPG will be 7 days with a decent firmware image but if you want red button at all then forget the idea.

As for idiot proof then again forget about a linux box as none of the 3rd party firmwares (which you would need for EPG and streaming to/from ethernet) are exactly simple with often different buttons on the remote doing multiple functions some which will mess with the box settings..
Old 01-09-2012, 18:11   #10
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Fair enough. Thanks all for your comments. Another idea to get out of my father's head then