Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Connection dropping

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Connection dropping

Old 17-12-2017, 15:06   #1
Bgy
Inactive

Bgy is an unknown quantity at this point
Connection dropping

Been having problems with my internet for close to a week and wanted to post to get some advice for when the engineer visits tomorrow as I had a terrible experience on Thursday.

Tuesday night was the start of the issue when my connection went down completely. This was the network log with the connection down.

Had an engineer come out on Thursday and his first diagnosis was the coax cable which took him about an hour to replace, no luck. It was around about this time he was speaking about his other jobs for the night and how long he'd have to drive for, I could see he was trying to get away but I insisted he try and fix the issue he came to fix.

His next diagnosis was a faulty Hub, which he replaced and said we'd have to wait 2 hours for it to establish a connection .I called support after he left and was told he wasn't supposed to leave without fixing the job and we'd have another engineer visit but that could only be arranged for Monday.

Surprisingly during the early hours of this morning the connection went back up, however, it's not been stable. It's dropped 3 or 4 times and each time takes a good while to go back up. Network log has slightly different errors.

My guess is there isn't a fault within the house but I've really got no idea. My worry is if this isn't fixed on Monday we'll be without internet over the Christmas period when people will be over.

Appreciate any replies and help
Bgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-12-2017, 16:48   #2
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all
Re: Connection dropping

What are your upstream and downstream levels?
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 17:46   #3
Bgy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm_tech View Post
What are your upstream and downstream levels?
Right now with the internet working it looks like this;

When the connection dropped Tuesday night it was like this;

Old 17-12-2017, 17:56   #4
Jon22
cf.addict

Jon22 is on a distinguished roadJon22 is on a distinguished road

Your downstream SNR is too low and upstream power levels are too high.
Jon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 18:08   #5
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon22 View Post
Your downstream SNR is too low and upstream power levels are too high.
It's the upstream power levels that are the main cause. Downstream can cope easily at those levels.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 18:32   #6
Bgy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
It's the upstream power levels that are the main cause. Downstream can cope easily at those levels.
Is this something the engineer should be able to diagnose and fix easily?
Old 17-12-2017, 18:57   #7
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

31db SNR on 256QAM is not good at all. Upstream too high as well.
Old 17-12-2017, 19:03   #8
Jon22
cf.addict

Jon22 is on a distinguished roadJon22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgy View Post
Is this something the engineer should be able to diagnose and fix easily?
It should flag up on their PDA, if they have one. Upstream can be adjusted at the cabinet, I think. Downstream SNR would have to be passed to networks, at least that’s what they did when I’ve had issues with that in the past.
Jon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 19:16   #9
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
31db SNR on 256QAM is not good at all. Upstream too high as well.
I didn't say it was good, just that it should be able to cope easily. The upstream is the main issue. If that is sorted I can see the downstream improving.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 10:41   #10
Bgy
Inactive

Connection has dropped again and is currently still out.

Hub status looks like this.

And I made a short 30 second clip of the downstream, upstream and network log to not fill this page up with images. Strangely, theres no errors in the network log like their usually is.

https://streamable.com/l3142

Edit: Connection back up, now there's errors in the network log.

https://imgur.com/a/D4wId

Downstream SNR on all channels has increased to at least 40.3 (max 40.9), upstream Power down slightly to 50 from 53.8

Last edited by Bgy; 18-12-2017 at 11:14.
Old 18-12-2017, 15:42   #11
vm_tech
cf.addict

I would say there was a faulty amplifier which the network dept have now replaced
Old 18-12-2017, 15:56   #12
Bgy
Inactive

Engineer came and further lowered the upstream power level to 47.3.

He mentioned there was one other house he visited nearby that had the same issues, Hopefully this is the end of the connection dropping.
Old 18-12-2017, 23:11   #13
Bgy
Inactive

Can't say I'm surprised but the connection has dropped again and is staying down this time. 2 engineer visits and still the same issues.

Network log has the same errors.

Upstream & downstream

Completely lost on what to do now, phone support say there's no issues on the line and the engineer that came today was the same that came last week and he has no idea.
Old 18-12-2017, 23:38   #14
vm_tech
cf.addict

The downstream and upstream stats are only accurate when the modem is locked onto the network, as when it's trying to lock it will cycle. Do you have one of the original TiVo boxes as well?
Old 19-12-2017, 00:44   #15
Bgy
Inactive

Quote:
The downstream and upstream stats are only accurate when the modem is locked onto the network, as when it's trying to lock it will cycle. Do you have one of the original TiVo boxes as well?
We've got a Tivo v6 box, we was offered the upgrade a few months ago.

---------- Post added at 23:44 ---------- Previous post was at 22:44 ----------

Connection is still down. Downstream & Upstream channel both say locked.

Power for downstream is -11 (37.6 SNR) and upstream 44.8. Network logged still filled with T3 time out errors.

Not sure if this helps but can see leading up to the drop increased latency.

Last edited by Bgy; 19-12-2017 at 01:36.