Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Want ADSL?-Read on....

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion

Want ADSL?-Read on....

Old 30-11-2003, 20:11   #31
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Re: Want ADSL?-Read on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Payer
If I change from NTL to SKY can I start a thread in "General ntl Discussion "?
Certainly-Just so long as you show everyone how easy it is to switch to Sky, & provide them with your own personal experience of the switch, & support it with the relevant links etc.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-11-2003, 20:27   #32
Pierre Bordeaux
Temporarily Suspended

Pierre Bordeaux is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Certainly-Just so long as you show everyone how easy it is to switch ...<snip>
So Neil, did your friend sort out

1. MSN keeping signing in & out
2. the IRC disconnecting every five minutes and
3. ftp disconnecting every five minutes?
Pierre Bordeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2003, 20:32   #33
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Bordeaux
So Neil, did your friend sort out the IRC and ftp disconnecting every few minutes?
Haven't tried yet (not really a priority at the mo TBH)
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2003, 20:33   #34
michaelp
Inactive

michaelp is an unknown quantity at this point

I was with cwc / NTL for 6 years, a couple on BB. I just got fed up with them, and moved to adsl in June. It's all been absolutely fine, and I am now with plus net at £18.99 pcm (I don't use p2p or binaries), which is so much better than 150k NTL for £1 more. I save more than that on call costs. Cable TV was rubbish, and I've got freeview, which is fine, it works and formats my 16:9 tv picture correctly.
I initially tried adsl with Zen, who were great, but 'Plus.Net' is better value. It's nice to be able to change ISP though.
I kept my Linksys BEFSR41 router, and hooked the WAN port to a D-link-300G+ modem. Easy. I honestly have not regreted changing once, and just felt relief at leaving NTL. Shame really, as cable is good in theory, but obviously needs responsible provisioning.
michaelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2003, 20:34   #35
poolking
Inactive

Services: Sky World 300k BB NTL Phone
poolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to poolking Send a message via MSN to poolking Send a message via Yahoo to poolking

pem - this site isn't owned by NTL so the team can discuss whatever they like.
poolking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2003, 20:49   #36
michaelp
Inactive

michaelp is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellwear
I'm still not sure what I'm gonna do in January when my contract is up, I'm so desperate to get away from Ntl now, just really fed up with the whole thing, but (and you knew there would be one!) after speaking to BT, they want 74.99 GBP to install a new line.
TBH, I didn't care in the end if it was going to cost me, I just wanted out of NTL.

I got free re-connection to BT, and kept my number. Why can't you get free re-connection?

After NTL I only wanted a monthly contract (just in case), but got a free activation offer at Zen. So I bought my modem, and recently paid £35 for migration to plus net.

Plus Net are offering activation, filters and USB modem at the moment on a 1 year, £25pcm contract. The point with adsl is there are loads of ISP's, you find the deal that's right for you.
michaelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2003, 21:43   #37
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelp
Why can't you get free re-connection?
Because were the only people that have ever lived in this house, and even though the line is installed, and we have the BT box on the wall they consider it a new connection and its £74.99, but I'm going to ring them and try and get them to do it for a reduced price, after all the cables and stuff are all in the house all they need to do is connect it up at the exchange.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 00:29   #38
DrAwesome
Inactive

DrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DrAwesome Send a message via MSN to DrAwesome

Quote:
Just out of interest, who are you getting your BB through? I'm seriously looking at the Bulldog off peak one, luckily the exchange I'm likely to be connected to is Bulldog enabled (what ever that means ).
At a guess some BT exchanges although adsl upgraded can only handle a certain adsl speed (someone will nodoubt correct me if this is incorrect).

Trouble with Bulldog is that your limited to 512k during non peak time wouldnt be so bad if on the 2meg package you were limited to 1meg during peak times during the day and i think someone has already pointed out that you are tied to a 12 month contract (if you look hard enough you can find a 3month and lower contracts) so if you find the service not to your liking then you have a long wait till you can jump ship..

If your looking to switch from NTL to another provider spend abit of time looking for not so noticable things (as i mentioned before) if you decide to upgrade or downgrade your speed is there a cost.

It wasnt a problem for me to select an adsl service as i wanted a service that is faster/reliable than what i have with NTL... the two main problems for me were/are/was selecting which type of adsl modem (i have already a besfr41 ver 2 cable/dsl router) and i wanted an adsl ethernet modem that was compatible (perferably another linksys product?) but i discovered that linksys only sell wireless adsl modems which wasnt my preference. the other problem was keeping the cost down and try not to go over the £100 mark. You can spend ages/days shopping around for the right adsl hardware because some of the adsl hardware that isp's offer can be expensive and ugly. Once you have decided on which adsl modem you want then its time to hit the search engine again to find the cheapest price and what comes with the product (you might find that you need an extra filters because the adsl modem you have bought only has 1 filter or worse it doesnt ship with any filters at all)

switching providers is easy, making decissions is alot harder
DrAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 00:43   #39
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Dell don't go spending loads to get away from NTll. I have also contacted them but because they took my line down this year when they replaced all lines they also want the full payment to have the line replaced. Then I have been told I can only get 512K if I am lucky. Borderline with the distance from the exchange so I am sitting it out waiting for Telewest to show NTL how to run a profitable cable company. Or powerline interent becoming available here.
Florence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 16:24   #40
gt94sss2
cf.member

gt94sss2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Because were the only people that have ever lived in this house, and even though the line is installed, and we have the BT box on the wall they consider it a new connection and its £74.99, but I'm going to ring them and try and get them to do it for a reduced price, after all the cables and stuff are all in the house all they need to do is connect it up at the exchange.
Ah - that probably explains it..

You cannot get "free reconnection" as yours is not a "reconnection" - as you are the only people ever to have lived there.

On new estates/building projects etc, BT sometimes (with the agreement of the builders) install telephone lines for the residents while the houses are being built - its easier for both BT and the builders to do it then rather than afterwards.

However, BT do not charge the builders for this installation - instead they charge the 1st residents who decide to use BT (which would be you)

Hence, it sometimes looks like a reconnection, including to the people living there - until they realise that its a new house and no one has lived there before. The next issue is obviously why the builders didn't pay

btw BT are not allowed to deviate from their price list - OFTEL rules, so cannot "discount" it from you and not for everyone else
gt94sss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 16:30   #41
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt94sss2
Ah - that probably explains it..

You cannot get "free reconnection" as yours is not a "reconnection" - as you are the only people ever to have lived there.

On new estates/building projects etc, BT sometimes (with the agreement of the builders) install telephone lines for the residents while the houses are being built - its easier for both BT and the builders to do it then rather than afterwards.

However, BT do not charge the builders for this installation - instead they charge the 1st residents who decide to use BT (which would be you)

Hence, it sometimes looks like a reconnection, including to the people living there - until they realise that its a new house and no one has lived there before. The next issue is obviously why the builders didn't pay

btw BT are not allowed to deviate from their price list - OFTEL rules, so cannot "discount" it from you and not for everyone else

I will prolly have to pay it, but it seems a little hard to swallow when other in the same position get connected for free.
Does make me wonder if they want my business or not! Saying that I haven't actually phoned them yet, so I'll let you all know how I get on.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 16:34   #42
gt94sss2
cf.member

gt94sss2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAwesome
At a guess some BT exchanges although adsl upgraded can only handle a certain adsl speed (someone will nodoubt correct me if this is incorrect).

Trouble with Bulldog is that your limited to 512k during non peak time wouldnt be so bad if on the 2meg package you were limited to 1meg during peak times during the day and i think someone has already pointed out that you are tied to a 12 month contract (if you look hard enough you can find a 3month and lower contracts) so if you find the service not to your liking then you have a long wait till you can jump ship..
hehe - consider yourself corrected

All BT ADSL exchanges can cope with the same speeds (as they all have the same equipment fitted) - it just that Bulldog use a different method of backhaul from some of the exchanges to its core network which allows to offer services like its Primetime "time of day" offering at those exchanges

I have to say I now use Bulldog Primetime 2000 and for less than £30 its very good value - even during the day when its supposed to be capped at 512K - I can get 600/650K

Also, if you do have problems that Bulldog can't resolve they appear to offer to release you from the contract.

If anyone does want to join Bulldog - would they mind contacting me privately so that I can refer them

Appartantly over 50% of Bulldog's new business currently comes from such referrals!
gt94sss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 19:10   #43
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolking
pem - this site isn't owned by NTL so the team can discuss whatever they like.
poolking - I did not say anything about what they can or cannot discuss - I asked why a topic about Pipex adsl was in the NTL discussion forum. So far they haven't actually answered this question.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 19:42   #44
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pem
poolking - I did not say anything about what they can or cannot discuss - I asked why a topic about Pipex adsl was in the NTL discussion forum. So far they haven't actually answered this question.
Neil was talking about leaving ntl, to go to Pipex, I think Neil was expressing his disappointment with ntl and has decided to move to pipex instead. Please pem, don't be concerned about where threads should or should not be thats our job.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 19:45   #45
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Plummer
Please pem, don't be concerned about where threads should or should not be thats our job.
and last time I checked I was free to ask - or is this against the rules now ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote