Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 10 meg what download speed should i get

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Re-siting Modem

Old 11-05-2006, 00:31   #1
Sunglasses Ron
Inactive

Services: NTL Full DTV package NTL TU24 NTL 10mb Broadband
Sunglasses Ron is a jewel in the roughSunglasses Ron is a jewel in the roughSunglasses Ron is a jewel in the roughSunglasses Ron is a jewel in the roughSunglasses Ron is a jewel in the rough
Re-siting Modem

Hello,

I would like to move my PC to a different place in the house, (still the same floor)
Would it be easier to get a tech to come out to re-site the modem ? (if so, how much would it cost ?)

Or could I just get an incredibly long USB or ethernet cable ?

Muchas gracias.
Sunglasses Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2006, 00:34   #2
bmxbandit
Inactive

bmxbandit has reached the bronze age
bmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze age
Re: Re-siting Modem

you only start to get problems when ethernet cables get over about 100m long IIRC... it's the cheapest and easiest option, if you can live with the cable

edit: google says 100m... a lot more than you're going to need though, i'd imagine...
bmxbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 00:34   #3
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

It would be cheaper to use a long ethernet cable.
Long USB cables dont tend to exist and arent as reliable.
You can get a 25 metre ethernet cable for less than £5 at www.cableuniverse.co.uk and use that.
NTL will charge you to have the modem entry point moved.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 00:38   #4
Sunglasses Ron
Inactive

Sunglasses Ron is a jewel in the roughSunglasses Ron is a jewel in the roughSunglasses Ron is a jewel in the roughSunglasses Ron is a jewel in the roughSunglasses Ron is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon
It would be cheaper to use a long ethernet cable.
Long USB cables dont tend to exist and arent as reliable.
You can get a 25 metre ethernet cable for less than £5 at www.cableuniverse.co.uk and use that.
NTL will charge you to have the modem entry point moved.
Cheers, I've just checked out that site and cannot find the 25 metre cable.

Would maplins do them aswell ?
Old 11-05-2006, 00:38   #5
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

You could also get a wireless router and wireless card (~£50), and be free to move you computer to any place in the house without the hassle of cables. Plus, you'd be able to add a second machine/laptop in the future and have web access on that as well.
Old 11-05-2006, 00:39   #6
bmxbandit
Inactive

bmxbandit has reached the bronze age
bmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunglasses Ron
Cheers, I've just checked out that site and cannot find the 25 metre cable.

Would maplins do them aswell ?
yep, any computer/electronics shop should sell cat5 cable
bmxbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 00:54   #7
Sunglasses Ron
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf
You could also get a wireless router and wireless card (~£50), and be free to move you computer to any place in the house without the hassle of cables. Plus, you'd be able to add a second machine/laptop in the future and have web access on that as well.
I like the sound of that. Is it easy to do myself ? How safe/secure is wireless ? Where could I get the wireless router and card, from NTL ?

Please forgive my lack of knowledge ?

---------- Post added at 23:54 ---------- Previous post was at 23:49 ----------

Quote:
I like the sound of that. Is it easy to do myself ? How safe/secure is wireless ? Where could I get the wireless router and card, from NTL ?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...uters&doy=10m5

Is this the type of thing you mean ?
Old 11-05-2006, 00:58   #8
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:

I'd say it is relatively easy to do yourself, specifically when you only have one machine. There can be security issues with wireless, but if you set it up properly, there are no real issues. (By the way, having a router will give you additional protection against hackers). You can get the gear from the likes of ebuyer/scan etc. and even amazon.

And regarding setting it up: there's tons of people here that will be more than happy to help should that be required.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:01   #9
Sunglasses Ron
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf
I'd say it is relatively easy to do yourself, specifically when you only have one machine. There can be security issues with wireless, but if you set it up properly, there are no real issues. (By the way, having a router will give you additional protection against hackers). You can get the gear from the likes of ebuyer/scan etc. and even amazon.

And regarding setting it up: there's tons of people here that will be more than happy to help should that be required.
Its just this card thing; Do I need to take my PC apart to install it ?
Old 11-05-2006, 01:13   #10
danielf
cf.mega poser

Quote:
Its just this card thing; Do I need to take my PC apart to install it ?
If you get a pci card, you would have to open the case to fit it yes. You can also get usb wireless adapters though. These simply plug into a usb port.

Edit: There's a good guide on routers (and what to (not) buy) here:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=33018

Assuming you're on NTL, you want a wireless cable router. (I can recommend the linksys WRT54G)
Old 11-05-2006, 10:58   #11
Sunglasses Ron
Inactive

Quote:
Hello,

I would like to move my PC to a different place in the house, (still the same floor)
Would it be easier to get a tech to come out to re-site the modem ? (if so, how much would it cost ?)

Or could I just get an incredibly long USB or ethernet cable ?

Muchas gracias.
The cable that comes into the house screws onto a splitter on the back of the STB, then goes off to my SACM.
Can I just buy a longer version of the cable I've already got ?(coax, I think)
and just cable clip it to the skirting and door frames.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:47   #12
homealone

Quote:
The cable that comes into the house screws onto a splitter on the back of the STB, then goes off to my SACM.
Can I just buy a longer version of the cable I've already got ?(coax, I think)
and just cable clip it to the skirting and door frames.
the trouble with that is NTL use high quality coax & crimped connectors to ensure minimal signal loss & avoid reflecting noise back into the cable network. You can find suitable coax, but the crimping tools are expensive & 'screw on' connectors not as good.

Basically it is not impossible to do this yourself, but it violates NTL's terms & conditions & any problems you have that can be traced to your DIY will be charged for.

The simplest method would be to leave the modem where it is, & get a long ethernet cable to connect the pc.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:01   #13
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Here is the place I was telling you about that did long lengths of Ethernet cable:

25 metres HERE

Longer cables HERE

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 12:50   #14
Sunglasses Ron
Inactive

Thanks for your help
Old 12-05-2006, 23:02   #15
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxbandit
you only start to get problems when ethernet cables get over about 100m long IIRC... it's the cheapest and easiest option, if you can live with the cable

edit: google says 100m... a lot more than you're going to need though, i'd imagine...

if you wanted to go over 100m of cat5 just pop a hub in somewhere before the cable length gets to 100m
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote