Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Site Blocker

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Site Blocker

Old 30-04-2012, 15:45   #16
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media Site Blocker

Most users prefer enterprises that allow them to use their own equipment as well. BYOD fosters increased job satisfaction and productivity, it's not going away anytime soon.

Given there are many VPN solutions (including software only ones) that now use SSL - including Cisco's - blocking it would be nigh on impossible.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-04-2012, 15:52   #17
jimexbox
Inactive

jimexbox is on a distinguished roadjimexbox is on a distinguished road

I thought it was relatively easy to circumvent blocked sites? Either using a proxy server or VPN.
jimexbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 15:54   #18
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

I did it by accident in China.
Old 30-04-2012, 16:20   #19
apb27
Inactive

apb27 is on a distinguished roadapb27 is on a distinguished road

yep tpb will be blocked within the next few weeks by all major UK ISPs
apb27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 16:28   #20
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

I hope the local prat who seeds flat out 24x7 is too stupid to figure out how to get around it. Fat chance of that though. It's a complete waste of time and ISPs money.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 17:20   #21
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

top 2 replies on the bbc both contrasting.

Quote:
I purchased all three Bourne movies after downloading one of them. Had I not been given the downloaded movie, I would still be convinced that the Bourne series would be movies I wouldn't enjoy. I've seen others comment similarly. There's argument to suggest that piracy is not quite the perpetrator behind their losses as the entertainment industry believes it to be.
I find this one to be somewhere near the truth in that a lot of people actually do buy stuff they like after they download, not everyone of course but some people do. p2p is effectively free advertising for the media companies as well as free distribution.

Quote:
People are trying to find any reason they can to justify stealing films, songs, software etc. that other people have worked to produce (including hundreds of thousands low paid staff whose jobs are gone or going),

Why not just admit that you liked getting a load of stuff for nothing rather than pay for it and that you want to carry on getting it for nothing.

Just be honest.
I agree that people obviously like getting stuff for nothing, however he drifted from fact by claiming its stealing when it isnt, and that the majority of piracy is not a lost sale.

The UK is heading down the wrong path censorship to appeal to a minority of th epopulation who get rich from copyright. Some legal firms have even been closed down due to shady practices of profiteering from copyright infringement.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 17:27   #22
_wtf_
Inactive

Services: BT Phone & Infinty, FreesatHD, Freeview, LOVEFiLM, NetFlix, Virgin Mobile
_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
It's a complete waste of time and ISPs money.
Yeah, but shillings have been passed under the counter so it had to be passed.

Funny how both Labour and the Lib Dems were against any censoring of the internet when the Conservatives were in power. Yet it's all coming in now.

If you want a good idea of how all this is really going on take a look at the 80's series Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister. Whitehall probably have what they want for the internet, for the next 5 years at least, already planned. After the 'Arab Spring' you can bet it isn't going to be as free and open as it has been.

The other problem with all of this is that people will start using VPN's, Tor, etc. the government are basically pushing people toward darknets. The law enforcement agencies will have a much tougher time once that happens. I know they recently caught a group of people the other day for something or other who were using Tor but they were using PayPal and the postal system.
_wtf_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 18:10   #23
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post

I find this one to be somewhere near the truth in that a lot of people actually do buy stuff they like after they download, not everyone of course but some people do. p2p is effectively free advertising for the media companies as well as free distribution.
There have even been studies recently that show those users who pirate also have much larger paid for collections and spend more per month on content than those who dont pirate.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 19:02   #24
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
This has been proven to be true time and time again in numerous scientific studies, so often that I don't even bother reading them anymore. Course some people just don't listen.

---------- Post added at 19:02 ---------- Previous post was at 19:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
There have even been studies recently that show those users who pirate also have much larger paid for collections and spend more per month on content than those who dont pirate.
Me included.
Old 30-04-2012, 21:08   #25
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by _wtf_ View Post

The other problem with all of this is that people will start using VPN's, Tor, etc. the government are basically pushing people toward darknets. The law enforcement agencies will have a much tougher time once that happens.

I have had a VPN for a while just so i can have some privacy when i need it and to get to sites that the recording industry and movie industry do not want me to visit.

I have now decided that the industrie can for forth in short jerky movements because of there blocking of sites and i will be reverting to my old ways.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 23:07   #26
Milambar
Inactive

Milambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is, while I don't agree with the path the record industry or movie industry has elected to take, people are going to have to be very careful. Especially now they are starting to get their way with the censoring of websites.

The path ends at a "whitelist internet". One that all sites are blocked, except for the ones they approve of, and that will be a very bad place for the internet to be at.
Milambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 23:25   #27
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milambar View Post
The problem is, while I don't agree with the path the record industry or movie industry has elected to take, people are going to have to be very careful. Especially now they are starting to get their way with the censoring of websites.

The path ends at a "whitelist internet". One that all sites are blocked, except for the ones they approve of, and that will be a very bad place for the internet to be at.
No, it doesn't. A white list internet requires staff in massive amounts, which won't happen. It will also result in an embarrasing number of hackers and a cyber warfare savvy generation. Nasty. It can only be black list and the game becomes, can the internet generate bad sites faster than we can hire staff? The answer in China may be no (though I doubt it). The answer in the UK is certainly yes. High profile sites may be taken down as a show of strength. That is all though. It'll move too fast for a system like that.

What they want to trigger by shows of strength and state backing is a cultural change. Away from tape-to-tape thinking and into coin-op-arcade thinking. This is an essential misunderstanding of the human experience though. We like buying nice new things with our pennys. We also like copying our mates' tapes. I personally have an account with a music purchasing service I like and buy straight off my radio. I also have some CDs. I also have some mix tapes and some MP3s from mates. Like most folk. People don't see an either/or situation here, but corporate fear of one extreme leads them to over promote the other. They think that adds no risk to them, but I think it leads to things like 'Amazing Radio'. Watch out big business. Once Youview gets going it's only a matter of time until 'Amazing Video' comes along. And not a lot of time either.

The encryption is necessary because of the new proposed phone/internet tapping laws. Basically, it won't just be Rupert Murdoch we have to worry about, the local council will be at it as well (you know they will in the end...).
AndyCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 23:25   #28
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Even China didn't manage that.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:37   #29
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCalling View Post
No, it doesn't. A white list internet requires staff in massive amounts, which won't happen. It will also result in an embarrasing number of hackers and a cyber warfare savvy generation. Nasty. It can only be black list and the game becomes, can the internet generate bad sites faster than we can hire staff? The answer in China may be no (though I doubt it). The answer in the UK is certainly yes. High profile sites may be taken down as a show of strength. That is all though. It'll move too fast for a system like that.

What they want to trigger by shows of strength and state backing is a cultural change. Away from tape-to-tape thinking and into coin-op-arcade thinking. This is an essential misunderstanding of the human experience though. We like buying nice new things with our pennys. We also like copying our mates' tapes. I personally have an account with a music purchasing service I like and buy straight off my radio. I also have some CDs. I also have some mix tapes and some MP3s from mates. Like most folk. People don't see an either/or situation here, but corporate fear of one extreme leads them to over promote the other. They think that adds no risk to them, but I think it leads to things like 'Amazing Radio'. Watch out big business. Once Youview gets going it's only a matter of time until 'Amazing Video' comes along. And not a lot of time either.

The encryption is necessary because of the new proposed phone/internet tapping laws. Basically, it won't just be Rupert Murdoch we have to worry about, the local council will be at it as well (you know they will in the end...).
Its evident so far they dont care about the cost of implementation.

I expect a whitelist internet would be managed by a central provided whitelist aka IWF style. So isp's wouldnt individually manage whitelists.

The barrier isnt cost its public acceptance.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:36   #30
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

My guess is, now Hollywood have got the Courts to order ISP's to implement a ban on TPB, the next step will be to try to get the Court's to order ISP's to filter their networks for infringing media.

Massive penalties will then be levied on the ISP's for falure or non-compliance.

Bottom line, BB charges will increase and us punters will end up paying to fix Hollywood's problem.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote