Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Probably the ugliest equipment and install I have ever seen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Probably the ugliest equipment and install I have ever seen

Old 14-04-2011, 11:44   #61
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age
Re: Probably the ugliest equipment and install I have ever seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1975 View Post
Wow, 20 days is crazy. I can see yout point if it were a general enquiry helpline. The number I called though was specifically for installation problems, so I assume this is all they take care of.
Yes, the point is that they're not dealing with so many that they can't send out initial responses in less than five days; more that they're doing other stuff, like working on other complaints, as well!

So five days for an initial response is fine.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-04-2011, 18:58   #62
Neo-Tech
Inactive

Neo-Tech is on a distinguished roadNeo-Tech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Ex telewest are grey
Mine's ex-ntl. Says Cabletel iirc.
Neo-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 21:04   #63
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

As far as i am concerned the colour of the boxes/cable is not an issue as they will get painted the next time the house is regardless of what colour they are ,my issue with that install would be the routing .If the box had to go in that position then it would have been neater to run the cable along the roof line and then down the left side of the window tight against the concrete jamb ,2" below the box and then looped up into the box ,not straight down the middle of a wall ,and a straight or horizontal run should be straight or horizontal ,not a little bit wiggly .As a window fitter i re-rout cables all the time and if i can be tad professional about a not very hard job ,then someone who does it for a living should be able to do it
Old 16-04-2011, 18:12   #64
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Some good points, some not so good.

Never the less here is the picture

The brown termination box should be on the far right of the window, then the telephone cable runs above the window, then down on the right to connect the box.

Anyway, possibly I have higher standards but Virgin should carry a couple of colours to best match the house. If it were to cost a few quid extra, I would happily pay it to avoide the horrible install.

theres nothing wrong with that, just use the same paint you did the walls with, to paint the cables, if you get the brown box moved your going to have a nice big hole in the wall.

Oh, and by the way, the virgin cabling looks neater than the coax going through the window (sky?)
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 19:47   #65
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

To be honest all i see is a question . " How much can i get out of them if i complain"

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 21:03   #66
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

It would have been more professional looking if the installer had fitted the box to the right of the house and also routed the cable from the right, over the window frame and below the tiles across the door.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 00:10   #67
Jason1975
Inactive

Jason1975 is an unknown quantity at this point

Having reread the posts it seems Brits have been desensitised to bad service and bad workmanship.

To the people that say just paint the cable and box: Why should I have to go to B+Q, go search for the same colour paint, pay for the paint, drive home then spend a few hours painting if I have told the guys where to install it?

To the people that think 5 days in not a long time to wait, I say you have become used to poor service, and don’t even realise it anymore. I think tomorrow will be day 5, and still no call from Virgin. Can’t say I am surprised in the very least.

I would have bet money that they will not phone, and where some guys might say consider yourself lucky you don’t have to wait 3 weeks or whatever, I say to you stop being content with mediocre service and grow a pair.

Unless consumers do something about these problems, these fat cat companies will continue to gladly take our money and laugh all the way to the bank.
Jason1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 00:13   #68
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Why? Because your fussy, nothing wring with that but if your like that you should have been there for the install
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 00:45   #69
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Jason, get on the phone to them first thing tomorrow, or Monday, and demand they send a qualified installer out to tidy that mess up.

There was a time when a worker took pride in making sure they did a good job.

Shoddy workmanship like this, is done by lazy, unprofessional Virgin Media employees.

Old 17-04-2011, 01:00   #70
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
To the people that think 5 days in not a long time to wait....
Not so long ago I had cause to contact the Cust. Serv. Dept. of East Midlands Trains. Their turnaround time for responses was TWENTY DAYS. Yes FOUR TIMES that of VM!!
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 01:17   #71
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

There was a time folk got paid by the hour not the job
Old 17-04-2011, 01:40   #72
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
There was a time folk got paid by the hour not the job
That's no excuse for a botched job like this.

Old 17-04-2011, 10:17   #73
jb66
cf.mega poster

I would do jobs worse than that if i was paid by job
Old 17-04-2011, 10:37   #74
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Product 13 View Post
That's no excuse for a botched job like this.

I think that's bit over the top ,it's not the best but by no means the worst .As has been mentioned if the OP is that fussy he should have been there .Did he tell the installers where to put the cables and the box ?or did he just leave vague instructions when it was booked .The other issue i can see is, there is another cable that has been run from the box along the damp course ,what is that ? where does it go ?

@any installers ,when a customer tells you to put a box on the left/right of a window do you look from the external or interior of the property ?
Old 17-04-2011, 11:27   #75
pj 1984
Inactive

pj 1984 is on a distinguished roadpj 1984 is on a distinguished road

Having been keeping an eye on this thread I thought I ought to throw in my opinion. To all those blaming the installers being lazy and so on they have no idea what they are talking about. It's not the techs fault it's the companys. If you seen the workload put on these guys on a daily basis and pressure they face you might think different. It's a neat enough install, albeit not wired how you wanted. If you were an installer I guarentee you would make life easier for yourself. as pointed out previously if you feel strongly about how you want it done at least make a point of actually being there. The installer will do it as quick and easily as he can due to his busy workload. But will be more than willing to consider alternative cable routes if instructed.
pj 1984 is offline   Reply With Quote