Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | D-Link DR165 on XBL

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Microsoft Games Systems
Register FAQ Community Calendar

XBox Controllers

Old 21-02-2011, 21:12   #1
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
XBox Controllers

Ok, so ...

I finally took the plunge and bought an XBox - it hasn't arrived yet, but I'm starting to think ahead

I'm guessing I only get one wired controller with it is that right?

I think ideally I'd like a wireless controller, I was never a big fan of cables etc. Are there any problems with wireless controllers? What's the battery life like? Do they need replaceable batteries or are the batteries built-in and you charge the controller?

What's the best sort of controller to go for? Are the Microsoft branded ones better, or is there an alternative choice?

Anybody got any recommendations?

So far I only have 3 games, 2 are Kinect games and the other is COD Black Ops
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-02-2011, 21:21   #2
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: XBox Controllers

Which one did you go for?

So long as you have bought one of the current model 360s (4GB or 250GB "Slim"), then it already comes with a wireless controller.

If you want another, then yeah, I'd stick with the official MS ones. 3rd party controllers never seem that good, IMO.

Also, MS is releasing a new & improved 360 controller with a "transforming D-Pad". I'm not sure when it's out, though.

Battery life is fine.

Unlike the PS3 controllers, the 360 controllers don't have built-in rechargeable batteries. You need to use AAs (Alkaline or rechargeable) or get MS' own rechargeable batteries (via the Play & Charge kit or Quick Charge kit).

---------- Post added at 21:21 ---------- Previous post was at 21:20 ----------

Game recommendations...

What kind of games do you like?

What other systems do you have which you game on? [No point me recommending something you've already got on PC or PS3!]
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 22:12   #3
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

This was the one I bought:

Linky Linky

Haven't really done much gaming previously - used to play WoW a lot, quite like the GTA series, and quite enjoyed Gran Turismo on the PS2.

Not really played FPS very much, but played COD a few weeks back and enjoyed it so I thought I'd give that a crack. I'm a 'casual' gamer I guess, not really the sort of person to worry about my 'stats'
Old 21-02-2011, 22:20   #4
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

Two words, Mass Effect

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 22:32   #5
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
This was the one I bought:

Linky Linky

Haven't really done much gaming previously - used to play WoW a lot, quite like the GTA series, and quite enjoyed Gran Turismo on the PS2.

Not really played FPS very much, but played COD a few weeks back and enjoyed it so I thought I'd give that a crack. I'm a 'casual' gamer I guess, not really the sort of person to worry about my 'stats'
may I say thats a bloody good price for the 250GB version
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 22:36   #6
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

OK, you're all sorted for a wireless controller already then

For games, I agree with v0id regarding "Mass Effect". Spectacular games.

You like GTA, so I'd recommend "GTA IV" and the two DLC add-ons "The Lost & Damned" and "The Ballad of Gay Tony". You can also buy the DLC episodes on a standalone disc together as "Grand Theft Auto: Episodes From Liberty City", or you can get GTA IV plus the DLC episodes all together as "Grand Theft Auto IV: The Complete Edition".

I'd definitely recommend "Red Dead Redemption". A rather simplistic description would be "Grand Theft Horse" or "GTA: Wild West". It's so much more than that, though. I absolutely loved it, it was my second favourite game of 2010 (after Mass Effect 2). Spectacular, epic, action-adventure in the Wild West. I prefer it to "GTA IV". Stunning game.

"Batman: Arkham Asylum" is a great game. It's easily the best Batman game ever, & the best comic-book game ever, but it's also a bloody good stealthy action-adventure in its own right. You are the Goddamn Batman, as they say. A sequel is due at the end of this year, "Batman: Arkham City".

You may or may not like the "Halo" (FPS) games & "Gears of War" (TPS) games. I think they're great, but they can be quite... polarising.

"Alan Wake" is an excellent story-driven psychological thriller, & is probably quite cheap now. It was one of the better games from 2010, but was overshadowed by "Mass Effect 2", "Red Dead Redemption", and "Halo Reach".
Old 21-02-2011, 22:51   #7
Raistlin
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGamer View Post
may I say thats a bloody good price for the 250GB version
I thought so too.

Got that, the Kinect, Kinect Adventures, Kinect Joy Ride, and a 12 month subscription, for £288 - which I didn't think was too bad overall.

---------- Post added at 22:51 ---------- Previous post was at 22:50 ----------

Cheers v0id and Matt for the games suggestions
Old 21-02-2011, 23:00   #8
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

Xbox Live is a must, oh and if you like Football Games - FIFA 11 is your best bet, though some would argue that Pro Evolution Soccer is better
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 23:04   #9
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Got a Gamertag yet then? Or is it not for the public?
Old 21-02-2011, 23:08   #10
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

I think you still get one months free gold if you register your gamer tag via the console, for upto 3 different gamertags.

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 23:10   #11
Raistlin
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Got a Gamertag yet then? Or is it not for the public?
Not got one yet, haven't received the console yet
Old 21-02-2011, 23:11   #12
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

D'Oh, of course, lol.
Old 22-02-2011, 01:16   #13
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal

If you enjoy CoD then you might enjoy Battlefield: Bad Company 2 as well as it's DLC which is Vietnam. The DLC is multiplayer only but it is awesome. Mass Effect 1 & 2 are a must, as well as the books. You should read the books at the same time as the books if possible so it'd be book 1, game 1, book 2, game 2, book 3. There's also Gears of War which is an excellent series, especially in co-op. GTA4 along with its DLC. The DLC is better than the main game IMO, although each DLC tells a story that runs parallel to the other stories so there's a couple of crossovers. Also I'd get Left 4 Dead 2 with the DLC that has been released for that.
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 09:53   #14
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

If you liked a bit of Gran Turismo on the PS2, how about Forza Motorsport 3 on the XBox (kind of the MS Equivalent of the GT series, and very good).

I'd agree with the GTA series thats been previously mentioned and definitely Mass Effect (I'd suggest you start with the original before playing number 2 as they are follow-on stories)
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 11:41   #15
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

For the wireless controller you can get ones that charge via any USB port