Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What should my upload speed be? [2Mb - Updated]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Cable Modem

Old 04-01-2009, 00:08   #1
Asoltan
Inactive

Services: Freeview TV and Cable internet
Asoltan is an unknown quantity at this point
Cable Modem

Hello,
I upgraded from 2Mb to 10Mb broadband last week, I have the modem which i was given by Virgin when i first joined. It is a "Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92"
What I would like to know is , should i upgrade the modem or should they have sent me a better one?
The reason i ask is because my speeds are averaging 5.5 - 7 Mb download and 0.55 Mb upload, depending on the time of day. I feel they should be faster as when i was on 2MB i was consistantly getting 2-2.5 Mb whatever time of day.
If I do need to upgrade the modem could anyone recomend a good one, (a nice balance of budget and function would be nice, I'm not interested in paying for a name if a cheaper one is just as good). Thanks
Asoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2009, 00:13   #2
Joxer
Inactive

Services: 20Mb BB, phone
Joxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Joxer
Re: Cable Modem

Phone tech support, they should send one for free, I think that one won't work on ten meg, but I don't know that much about NTL modems, someone is sure to confirm this.
Joxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 00:57   #3
kpanchev
Inactive

Services: BB L package
kpanchev will become famous soon enoughkpanchev will become famous soon enoughkpanchev will become famous soon enough

The "Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92" modem is not your Virgin modem, this is a dial-up modem that you have inside your computer. Your Virgin modem is either your digital box or a stand-alone modem, installed by Virgin and separate from your computer. Unless it is a very very old one, you don't need to change anything.
kpanchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:14   #4
Asoltan
Inactive

When I open the hardware, device manager, modem window, it is the only thing that shows up, where would i find the modem that Virgin supplied me with?
Old 04-01-2009, 01:15   #5
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

The make/model will normally be written on the modem itself.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:19   #6
Joxer
Inactive

Joxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really nice

kpanchev, just noticed (thanks to you) that I didn't read the OP properly, just thought "there is an old NTL modem beginds with C..."

Asoltan, there should be a label on the modem telling you what model it is.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:32   #7
kpanchev
Inactive

Services: BB L package
kpanchev will become famous soon enoughkpanchev will become famous soon enoughkpanchev will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asoltan View Post
When I open the hardware, device manager, modem window, it is the only thing that shows up, where would i find the modem that Virgin supplied me with?
Your Virgin modem sits at the end of the coaxial cable that comes into your house. As I said before, it can be either a stand-alone modem, or a built-in one combined with your TV digibox, NOT your computer! When did you get your broadband and do you also have a cable TV?
kpanchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:47   #8
Asoltan
Inactive

I have the modem at the end of the fibre optic (not coaxial) cable,There is a label on the back saying
Trade name: Ambit
Input: 10v DC----1.2A

Model No. E08C013.00
Then there is a barcode
Under the barcode
Not a good idea to post your MAC address.Removed for your own benefit.

Does this help?
I have other peripherals plugged into the pc and they show up in device manager, why would this not?
Old 04-01-2009, 01:51   #9
xocemp

That is the Ambit 256 made by Hon Hai Precision Ind and will support your 10 meg and more.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:53   #10
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asoltan View Post
I have the modem at the end of the fibre optic (not coaxial) cable,There is a label on the back saying
Trade name: Ambit
Input: 10v DC----1.2A

Model No. E08C013.00
Then there is a barcode
Under the barcode
Edited:
Does this help?
I have other peripherals plugged into the pc and they show up in device manager, why would this not?
edit out the mac address from your post for security..

the reason it doesn't show in 'device manager' is because it is classed as just part of a network attached to your ethernet card.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:53   #11
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

The only thing you will see in Device Manager will be the Ethernet Adapter.

It's like plugging headphones into a soundcard. All you see is the soundcard but the headphones work
Old 04-01-2009, 01:59   #12
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

Virginmedia don't do FTTH, so how is your modem connected the fibre optic cable? :/

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:59   #13
Joxer
Inactive

Nice analogy BenMcr.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:08   #14
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

your cable modem isnt called as a peripheral because it is something the pc uses as a means of communication, it isnt something you are using directly yourself.

You can see your dial up modem because that connects to your phone line and you can see your ethernet adaptor because that connects to your modem/internet. Another good example if your monitor, you dont get drivers for most monitors so you dont see your monitor in your device manager either, you just see your display adaptor (graphics card) and your monitor is connected to that.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:09   #15
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer View Post
Nice analogy BenMcr.
Great analogy - and timely edit by Maggy J