Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ps3 games

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems

No sound !!! HELP !!!! HDMI connection to PS3

Old 12-09-2008, 10:51   #1
fivetimesbaby
Inactive

fivetimesbaby is an unknown quantity at this point
No sound !!! HELP !!!! HDMI connection to PS3

I have connected my ps3 to my LG lcd tv , model is RZ 27LZGG , its connected with a hdmi cable through an adaptor into the dvi slot on the tv , picture is fine but there is no sound , I have tried all sound settings on the ps3 but cannot get any sound.

What am I doing wrong ? , please help.

Thanks.
fivetimesbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2008, 11:05   #2
mikeeey-h
Inactive

mikeeey-h is on a distinguished roadmikeeey-h is on a distinguished road
Re: No sound !!! HELP !!!! HDMI connection to PS3

Hi,

I belive DVI is Video only.

Does the PS3 have seperate audio out's.

Michael
mikeeey-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:11   #3
fivetimesbaby
Inactive

I have also tried to connect the red/white jack plugs to the audio on the tv from the av out on the ps3 , but still no joy .

---------- Post added at 10:11 ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 ----------

Forgot to say thanks for taking time to help.

Thanks mikeeeey
Old 12-09-2008, 11:21   #4
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

It sounds like you need to set an option in the PS3 system software to enable sound through the audio jacks. I don't have a PS3 so can't check, but if it is anything like the V+, by default the PS3 shuts down the audio outputs when HDMI is used.

It's also possible that as part of the copyright protection mechanism used, it shuts down analogue audio. You may need to connect an amp or speakers to the optical digital out.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:15   #5
mikeeey-h
Inactive

mikeeey-h is on a distinguished roadmikeeey-h is on a distinguished road

After a bit of Google, I've found the Following.

PS3 main menu goto the AUDIO SETTINGS section and select Composite A/V as your audio output.
mikeeey-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:28   #6
fivetimesbaby
Inactive

Thanks again mikeeey but I already tried that , with reference to an earlier reply what would my options be to connect via the optical digital out , just checked it out and its just a red light , whats that all about?
Old 12-09-2008, 13:04   #7
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivetimesbaby View Post
Thanks again mikeeey but I already tried that , with reference to an earlier reply what would my options be to connect via the optical digital out , just checked it out and its just a red light , whats that all about?
You will need either an Amp or speakers than have an optical digital input. Most modern amps will probably have an optical input, and if you have a home cinema system, that should as well. There are also sets of speakers for PCs that have optical inputs.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 22:04   #8
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
You will need either an Amp or speakers than have an optical digital input. Most modern amps will probably have an optical input, and if you have a home cinema system, that should as well. There are also sets of speakers for PCs that have optical inputs.
An amp with a digital Coax input would work as well although you would of course need to convert the digital optical signal into an electrical one.

Fortuantly it's possible to get a box of tricks that does just that.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...C=SO&U=strat15

Of course you would still need an Amp with a Digital input
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 22:13   #9
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

take your ear plugs out...

seriously though, why not use HDMI to HDMI instead, rather than HDMI to DVI?
Old 16-09-2008, 22:23   #10
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
take your ear plugs out...

seriously though, why not use HDMI to HDMI instead, rather than HDMI to DVI?
The only reason I can think of is if the HDMI socket is already occupied or the TV simply does not have one.
Old 19-02-2009, 21:01   #11
supernova31.76
Inactive

supernova31.76 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know it's a long shot that this thread might still be active, but I saw this and I'm having the exact same problem, and hoping someone could help.
I don't know much about cabling or anything technical, so sorry if this doesn't make much sense!

My tv (Phillips) has one HDMI slot and it's a HDMI-DVi. I've connected that cable as the 'output' on a HD splitter. I then have a bt vision (freeview) box connected via HDMI to HDMI cable to the Input 1 socket on the splitter, then a PS3 connected via another HDMI to HDMI cable to the Input 2 socket on the splitter . The splitter works fine.

Because of the HDMI-dvi I have audio coming via a cable which has red, white and yellow ends connected to the bt vision box (the white and red connected only) and the other end connected to audio in socket on the tv.

The Bt vision works fine in HD (audio and visual)
The PS3 however, has visual on HD but no sound.
Originally I had the supplied audio visual cable connected from PS3 to tv as well, which meant I was getting visual on HD but audio on AV - so I started changing the audio settings on the ps3 with and without the av cable plugged in but also with the HD plugged in. When I try to configure the audio settings using the HD option it says "this HDMI cable does not support audio" or something along those lines.
I don't understand why the BT vision box is working fine, but the PS3 isn't.
I went to two different high street audio visual shops today to ask for advice. One said you need to change the settings on the PS3, the other said I would have to take a complicated route by changing the digital connectors to AV, and said something about av components or something, I didn't really understand and he was a bit reluctant to go into detail! Was he talking about getting an optical splitter?

There is an SPDIF socket on the bt vision box, I assume this is for an optical cable. Would connecting one from the PS3 to the bt vision box fix the sound issue? There are no other sockets on the tv that I can see that would be compatible.
I've changed settings on the tv and ps3 with no avail.
All I want to do is watch my new bluray DVD's!
Can anyone suggest anything or maybe spot something I'm doing wrong?
Thanks
supernova31.76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 22:29   #12
dragon
Inactive

I've not checked with the PS3 to see if it's possible to keep the audio on the old AV cable but the Video on HDMI, as i've only ever tried it with the audio going via HDMI to my TV it then goes into the amp via the audio outputs on the TV.

If no one else offers beforehand I may be able to look at the settings if I remember (can't do it now as people are watching the TV)

With regards to the SPDIF this isn't as far as im aware optical but rather a different kind of digital audio connection.

I looked on the back of my paperweight (I no longer have BT broadband so that's all the vision box is at the moment) and there is only a SPIFDIF not an optical.

If you have an AMP/AV system that can handle either an Optical or a digital Coaxual input you could connect it to the PS3 (I believe it's possible to get a box of electronics that can take a digital optical signal and change it into a digital coaxual signal, think they cost bout £20 or less from somewhere like maplin)

You might even find there is a setting on the TV that controls which input it looks for the sound on when your on the DVI/HDMI feed.

also does the TV support HDCP becuase if it doesn't you will probably find as soon as you try to play a movie it wont let you as the tv isn't support the encryption for the copy protection
Old 19-02-2009, 23:03   #13
supernova31.76
Inactive

Thanks for the advice 'dragon'.....I've checked if there are any settings on the TV to change input, but there's nothing, I think it's a pretty basic tv, even if it is HD ready.
I probably got the abbreviation wrong with regards to the "spifdif" on the bt vision!

I forgot to mention, I'm getting bt vision sound when I switch from bt vision HD via the splitter to PS3 HD (again, visual working fine); Fiona Bruce's voice talking while Apocalypto is playing on screen!!!
I think I'll have to look into your other suggestions, I think what you mention about optical/digital coaxial, is what one of the guys at the shop was trying to encourage me not to do, (I think he thought I couldn't handle trying to set it up.......in actual fact I'm pretty good at setting things up as long as I have the right equipment in front of me, I just don't understand the technicalities of it!) I'll give that a go with my speakers.
Not sure about HDCP??

Thanks again, appreciate your help
Old 19-02-2009, 23:35   #14
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
I've not checked with the PS3 to see if it's possible to keep the audio on the old AV cable but the Video on HDMI, as i've only ever tried it with the audio going via HDMI to my TV it then goes into the amp via the audio outputs on the TV.
The PS3 can only output audio via one method at a time (e.g. HDMI or optical or AV cable), but it doesn't have to be the same output as the video - you can have video out via HDMI and audio out via optical or AV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
With regards to the SPDIF this isn't as far as im aware optical but rather a different kind of digital audio connection.
S/PDIF is the overall name for the digital audio interface standard, whether coax cable with RCA (phono) jacks is used or optical cable with TOSLINK connectors is used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova31.76 View Post
Not sure about HDCP??
What model is your TV, and how old is it?

If it is a genuine "HD Ready" TV then it *must* be HDCP compliant over HDMI or DVI.

Re. the actual problem -

If your TV only has DVI, then (like with your BT Vision box) you need a separate audio connection for the PS3. The HDMI from the PS3 cannot carry audio to the TV's DVI socket as DVI is video only.

The audio socket on the TV which the BT Vision box is connected to is the specific audio input for the DVI "channel" on the TV I assume? This is why you have BT Vision sound via the TV's DVI "channel" when you've switched the HDMI splitter from BT Vision to PS3... the audio associated with the DVI input is still the audio from the BT Vision, as the PS3's audio is going nowhere.

What kind of socket(s) for audio does the TV have that is associated with the DVI socket? Single 3.5mm stereo, or separate phono sockets?

Try using the PS3's AV cable again & connect the two stereo audio phono jacks (red & white) to the TV instead of the BT Vision's audio - i.e. connect to the relevant audio input for the DVI socket, rather than the TV's other AV input.

Then set the PS3 to output audio over the AV lead instead of HDMI.

You could get an audio switch box so that you can switch from BT Vision audio to PS3 audio & vice versa. Maplin etc. would do them.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 17:58   #15
supernova31.76
Inactive

Hi Matt,
The tv model is Phillips 23PF4310/01 it was bought about 2 maybe 3 years ago, can't remember exactly when!

All of the sockets on the tv are exactly as in this product on amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-23PF...5152469&sr=8-1

Product also looks almost exactly as the one I have but my controller is much, much simpler - (not that it really matters!).

Anyway, I've given what you said a go, and still no joy.
Thanks

I've managed to connect the ps3 AV leads to my stereo system using the AUX sockets, which I guess will have to do for now! Going to have to rearrange the lounge setup though! Thanks for all your help