Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Poor streaming downloading and uploading

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Poor streaming downloading and uploading

Old 14-03-2012, 09:24   #1
gunsworth
Inactive

gunsworth is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Poor streaming downloading and uploading

I am using the Superhub modem with a 30mb connection in the Birmingham area. I have wireless and wired connections to the hub and get the issues on both.

I have had problems with streaming, downloading and uploading for some time. I am an IT professional and have installed both wired and wireless networks for several years so know a bit but I can make no sense of the issues I am getting.

Broadband speed tests suggest that I am getting near to the 30Mb download and nearly MB upload. However, whenever I ty to stream a video (BBC or You Tube mainly) or if I am downloading files or updating my website I get problems. Most videos stop playing and don't recover, downloads can slow down to below Kbps and uploads constantly fail. Internet browsing is usually fine.

VM engineers have visited and their solution was to put the modem into 'modem only' mode which didn't improve things. I have also had three Superhubs including the current one to try and sort the issue. The latest ha no firewall or IPSec enabled.

I am not getting package loss (well occasional one-offs) and tracert results seem fine.

In one conversation with an engineer she indicated there was an intermittent connection issue but the engineer who came out didn't seem to know what that could mean.

I can't complain about the VM service, they have really been helpful. I am just stuck.
gunsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-03-2012, 11:25   #2
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Poor streaming downloading and uploading

your streaming issues are unique dude, everyone suffers from them on all tiers and there have been numerous threads about it in the past. I am on 100mbit and I noticed it over the weekend. It is something to do with VMs network and people in over congested areas definitely feel the pain. My area is excellent but I still get it every now and again.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 12:03   #3
gunsworth
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
your streaming issues are unique dude, everyone suffers from them on all tiers and there have been numerous threads about it in the past. I am on 100mbit and I noticed it over the weekend. It is something to do with VMs network and people in over congested areas definitely feel the pain. My area is excellent but I still get it every now and again.
Thanks. Suspected as much but no-one has admitted it.
Old 14-03-2012, 12:14   #4
Blackened
Inactive

Blackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpack

Streaming has always been a nightmare for me. YouTube especially. Some don't have problems though so it's hard to pin down. I can *sometimes* get some joy by changing DNS servers - like now changing to Google's servers and 1080p videos are filling the buffer bar only a few seconds after starting so virtually a 100% improvement. Sometimes though, it just sits there buffering and no amount of tinkering fixes it. My iPad is the worst. Damn, that infuriates me!
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 14:11   #5
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

Streaming is not just you and seems to be a problem on Virgin's network, just last night tried playing 4od, kept buffering, switched to my infinity connection and playing smooth, thanks god my contract is up in July.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 15:29   #6
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
your streaming issues are unique dude, everyone suffers from them on all tiers...
I would normally pick you up on this for being blatantly and obviously an over-exaggeration, but I'm sure I'd only get shouted down as a troll or fanboy or something

Whilst I don't stream that much, I certainly don't have any problems when I do.

(I also assume you meant "aren't" and just didn't notice )

For the avoidance of being mis-understood/mis-quoted, I do realise that some people have some problems in some areas. I just don't like hyperbolic (that can't be a word, surely? ) statements such as that made by GM.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 17:00   #7
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Dude who calls himself "VM Nerd" repulsed at the thought of this being associated with fanboy status... Hmmm.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 17:01   #8
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
I would normally pick you up on this for being blatantly and obviously an over-exaggeration, but I'm sure I'd only get shouted down as a troll or fanboy or something

For the avoidance of being mis-understood/mis-quoted, I do realise that some people have some problems in some areas. I just don't like hyperbolic (that can't be a word, surely? ) statements such as that made by GM.
at one point over at the VM official forums, so many people were creating threads regarding streaming issues they created a feedback thread themselves

my friend lives in a different town and i notice the same issues on his connection.
Old 14-03-2012, 17:34   #9
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:

you can pick me up on my typo but not the rest of my statement considering the fact that I pointed out my area is fantastic and I rarely have streaming issues. The following two posts from other users after mine also itterated the fact that streaming is a problem. So I consider my statement to be well balanced at proves a point quite nicely

Hyperbolic is a great work. I think of it as more of a maths term but hyperbolae is used as an adjective for when someone is talking out of their bottom.
Old 14-03-2012, 19:17   #10
gunsworth
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
Streaming has always been a nightmare for me. YouTube especially. Some don't have problems though so it's hard to pin down. I can *sometimes* get some joy by changing DNS servers - like now changing to Google's servers and 1080p videos are filling the buffer bar only a few seconds after starting so virtually a 100% improvement. Sometimes though, it just sits there buffering and no amount of tinkering fixes it. My iPad is the worst. Damn, that infuriates me!
I assume there is no way of changing DNS at Superhub level so need to do it on local pc. Will give it a try. I have often used OPenDNS one for securing networks from unwanted websites.
Old 14-03-2012, 19:53   #11
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Dude who calls himself "VM Nerd" repulsed at the thought of this being associated with fanboy status... Hmmm.
In the negative connotations that certain people on here use it in; yes. I am a fan, not a "fanboy".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
at one point over at the VM official forums....
A self-selecting bunch of posters influenced by "negativity bias". What about all the millions who don't post on forums?

Quote:
you can pick me up on my typo but not the rest of my statement considering the fact that I pointed out my area is fantastic and I rarely have streaming issues.
So how do you square that with your comment that "everyone has problems in every area"? You're not having any in yours and I'm not in mine

Again, not saying they're perfect and don't have problem areas.
Old 14-03-2012, 20:55   #12
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
So how do you square that with your comment that "everyone has problems in every area"?
I love how you put a quote I didn't make in quotation marks I said everyone has the problem on all tiers meaning that it isnt an issue defined by download speed and going from a 10mbit connection to a 100mbit won't fix it. Hence my further remarks regarding my speed and occassional problems and the fact that my area is great.

Regarding DNS servers, any change in the DNS servers you use and the buffering is coincidental. DNS servers are used for address resolution and that is it. They arent going to provide you with a better route to youtube nor are they going to circumvent any cogestion issues. That being said, summing the shub problems up as a whole, with DNS being one of the many issues, I would strongly suggest that in the long term you treat yourself to a proper router where you can manually configure your dns servers. I have got a Linksys router and changed my DNS servers to the google ones years ago and I have never looked back since. On the odd occasion you see a flurry of posts where users report that they cant get to certain sites (VM DNS issues), I continue to happily use my connection uninterrupted and wouldn't even be aware there was an issue if it wasnt for the fact I saw other people moaning about it. Having a good router is all about providing a reliable and solid service to your devices, you shouldnt have to close your eyes and cross your fingers everytime you want to do something.
Old 14-03-2012, 23:23   #13
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
I love how you put a quote I didn't make in quotation marks
It was supposed to be a paraphrase. I should have just quoted

Quote:
I said everyone has the problem on all tiers meaning that it isnt an issue defined by download speed and going from a 10mbit connection to a 100mbit won't fix it. Hence my further remarks regarding my speed and occassional problems and the fact that my area is great.
Okay. Mis-interpretation then.
Old 14-03-2012, 23:25   #14
AaronCooper
Inactive

AaronCooper will become famous soon enoughAaronCooper will become famous soon enoughAaronCooper will become famous soon enough

Have you tried virgin media proxy?

webcache.virginmedia.com port 8080
AaronCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 23:30   #15
Zee
Inactive

Quote:
In the negative connotations that certain people on here use it in; yes. I am a fan, not a "fanboy".

A self-selecting bunch of posters influenced by "negativity bias". What about all the millions who don't post on forums?

So how do you square that with your comment that "everyone has problems in every area"? You're not having any in yours and I'm not in mine

Again, not saying they're perfect and don't have problem areas.
and what about all the people having the problems who dont know about this website or vm official forum, or those who think its normal for it to buffer like that.