Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Mini Scart Freeview Digital TV Receiver & Recorder

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Mini Scart Freeview Digital TV Receiver & Recorder

Old 11-02-2010, 12:44   #1
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Mini Scart Freeview Digital TV Receiver & Recorder

http://www.technologyinthehome.com/S...-Recorder.html

Any reviews of this item... looks good to me but I always like to see a few pro/com reviews before taking the plunge.

Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2010, 12:49   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Mini Scart Freeview Digital TV Receiver & Recorder

Check to see what size cards it can cope with.. 8gb will only give you a limited record time as it'll be mpeg2

Nice to see it'll stream divx from the card
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 13:17   #3
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Check to see what size cards it can cope with.. 8gb will only give you a limited record time as it'll be mpeg
Quote:
Q: What is the maximum size SD card I can use?
A: There is no maximum, so currently available 32GB cards will be fine to use.
There is no mention though of how, if it sits behind your TV, the remote control will work. IMHO, always better to get one in a propper box.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 13:29   #4
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Normally it'll have a small flylead to a remote sensor for the IR

[edit]confirmed, check the other picture with the wires coming from it as they're all labled
Old 11-02-2010, 15:46   #5
Taf
cf.mega poster

Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I'm mostly interested in it for my (handicapped) son who wrecks DVDram disks on a regular basis. With this tucked out of the way he couldn't wreck anything!

Tried a HD PVR, but the fan noise kept him awake.

I did see another TV-record-to-USB memory stick recorder, but can't find it again.
Old 11-02-2010, 15:49   #6
Kymmy
Inactive

This then looks like an idea solution as long as he's not a fiddler (the only problem is that these are not that secure and will drop out of the scart socket when bumped, but a bit of sticky velcro would probaby cure that
Old 11-02-2010, 16:34   #7
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

The Digitrex CFD1571 15.6" Freeview TV is available for £119.99 from Currys / Dixons and will also play DVDs and CDs and, critically, will record to a USB drive too. A neighbour has one. It has a reasonable output but I've not seen it record.

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/stor...ull&sku=475427
Old 11-02-2010, 17:51   #8
Taf
cf.mega poster

Ye Gods! He would squeal if I cut him down to a 15" screen!!

The larger 22" looks promising, can be used as a monitor for the PC AND his games consoles...

M22DVDB19 22" HD Ready LCD TV with Built-in DVD Player .... but then I saw it's power consumption

Quote:
65 KWh/24hr Power usage when up and running
EEEK! That can't be right!
Old 11-02-2010, 18:05   #9
Kymmy
Inactive

LOL, definately not right as that works out to 2700AH which is like running a couple of small kettles continously..
Old 11-02-2010, 18:31   #10
Taf
cf.mega poster

Maybe it's got a Teasmade built into it too!!!

In which case it would only need 3 more items to make it a teenage lad's dream come true: a very loud alarm clock, an automatic vacuum cleaner... and a Kleenex dispenser

---------- Post added at 18:30 ---------- Previous post was at 18:16 ----------

Just found it around half price on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Digital-TV-Tun...item3a57910cff

---------- Post added at 18:31 ---------- Previous post was at 18:30 ----------

Quote:
It does not support MHEG5
Should this be a worry for UK DVT?
Old 11-02-2010, 18:31   #11
altis
cf.mega poster

User manuals available here:
http://cedz.com.cn/Download.aspx

Graded stock here:
http://www.cheap-lcd-tv.co.uk/22_Dig...w_LCD_TV_585_d
Old 11-02-2010, 18:47   #12
Taf
cf.mega poster

TVM
Old 23-05-2010, 11:37   #13
fredrick
Inactive

fredrick is an unknown quantity at this point

I have recently bought one but it wont recieve BBC1 or 2
fredrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 16:54   #14
harveyvan
Inactive

harveyvan is an unknown quantity at this point

Just set one of these up; works fine after an hour or two of figuring things out.

I had an initial problem with receiving some channels, but this was solved when I checked the connections to the aerial. (The "faulty" connection worked fine on the previous freeview box; maybe this one is fussier about the signal quality.)

Main problem is documentation: it comes with a very limited "manual", and I didn't find the menus and set-up very helpful. Examples: had to poke around a bit to find out how to turn sub-titles off permanently (they're on by default, and the suggested solution in the little pamphlet only switched them off temporarily); how to maximise the picture when playing recordings; and how to turn on automatic background recording for pause/rewind.

Maybe I'm getting old, but the solutions weren't very intuitive to me. That said, I'm very happy with it now I've figured those things out.
harveyvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 21:24   #15
Tomx
Inactive

Tomx is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just bought one of these.
It produces a good enough recording, all right.
The set up booklet is woefully inadequate. So many things (buttons)and abbreviated terms like "PAL" setting etc, not even mentioned. You will need the help telephone line or your original TV set up handbook to work out what it was you just altered!
A BIG DRAWBACK is the fact it appears you can only record the channel you are watching. I wouldn't have bought it if I'd known that, defeats the object of the thing.
Signal strength has altered, have to play with it some more.
To be honest, I think there is a first class idea here, it just looks as though the inventor suddenly had a more interesting idea and left it half cock!
Oh, yes, I managed to set it up ok but had no sound. Pressed every combination of buttons I could think of and.....nothing!
Help line........"you have to turn the sound right up on the TV and then use the new handset to fine tune it."
Thinking of setting it up on another TV just to record???
Overall report; could do a whole lot better, needs to try harder. 5/10
Tom
Tomx is offline   Reply With Quote