Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | sky sports red button

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

sky sports red button

Old 04-01-2011, 15:04   #16
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age
Re: sky sports red button

Could I have something cleared up re: Red Button On Sky Sports....

I appreciate we've been told it will be on Sky sports 1 & 2 However...if i am watching tennis on Sky Sports 3 and they say (as they have in the past) "Coverage continues on the red button" OR
When a match is ONLY available on the red button regardless of the channel does that mean i can go to 1 or 2 push the red button and find the interactive service i need?

I hope I make sense
Mobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2011, 18:18   #17
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobes View Post
Could I have something cleared up re: Red Button On Sky Sports....

I appreciate we've been told it will be on Sky sports 1 & 2 However...if i am watching tennis on Sky Sports 3 and they say (as they have in the past) "Coverage continues on the red button" OR
When a match is ONLY available on the red button regardless of the channel does that mean i can go to 1 or 2 push the red button and find the interactive service i need?

I hope I make sense
Who's said it will only be on Sky Sports1 and 2?
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 18:29   #18
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
That hasn't been said as far as I know, however Sky do say on the link below that VM will only get 'some' red button on Sky Sports (whatever that means) but I don't think we can expect to get the full service.

http://www.sky.com/shop/sports/home/...y-virginmedia/
mersey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 19:37   #19
Henkesghost
Sceptic

Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze
Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersey70 View Post
That hasn't been said as far as I know, however Sky do say on the link below that VM will only get 'some' red button on Sky Sports (whatever that means) but I don't think we can expect to get the full service.

http://www.sky.com/shop/sports/home/...y-virginmedia/

Crumbs from the master's plate
Henkesghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 20:03   #20
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkesghost View Post
I guess we will get whatever VM agreed to when they took Sky's cash for VMtv, anything is better than nothing I suppose. We can't expect to get all of Sky's offerings, in fact I don't think that would be fair on Sky personally, they did the investment and took the risks.

I suppose the ultimate answer is if we want all the said services (and it's practical) is to get Sky.
mersey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 20:06   #21
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkesghost View Post
We'll have to wait and see, but I think the main thing is the extra games/programmes that are behing the Red Button.
Old 04-01-2011, 20:44   #22
Henkesghost
Sceptic

Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze
Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze

Quote:
We'll have to wait and see, but I think the main thing is the extra games/programmes that are behing the Red Button.
If I remember correctly from when I was with sky the red button is also good during the cricket. Lots of stats on match/series etc on red button
Henkesghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 20:52   #23
pauldavies83
Inactive

pauldavies83 is on a distinguished roadpauldavies83 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'd say this was the main thing too.

Which prompts the question why these streams can't just be crudely broadcast on available channel numbers on the EPG until the "red button" facility is done (in a similar way to the BBCi contact was broadcast on freeview)
pauldavies83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 23:13   #24
jamiec21
cf.member

Services: V+ TV: XL and Sports HD; BB: L
jamiec21 is a jewel in the roughjamiec21 is a jewel in the roughjamiec21 is a jewel in the roughjamiec21 is a jewel in the roughjamiec21 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldavies83 View Post
I'd say this was the main thing too.

Which prompts the question why these streams can't just be crudely broadcast on available channel numbers on the EPG until the "red button" facility is done (in a similar way to the BBCi contact was broadcast on freeview)
Surely that's how the BBC service is done now, hidden video streams with a MHEG (or whatever the DVB-C equivalent is) overlay. I've not used the Sky Red Button service a lot, but I'd love to know what's there that couldn't be done in the same way the BBC service is now. Video content with a data overlay.
jamiec21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 23:15   #25
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I read it here somewhere... cant sodding find it now... was it Spiderplant who said so...

From your response DF Im guessing that was wrong
Mobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 00:50   #26
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersey70 View Post
I guess we will get whatever VM agreed to when they took Sky's cash for VMtv, anything is better than nothing I suppose. We can't expect to get all of Sky's offerings, in fact I don't think that would be fair on Sky personally, they did the investment and took the risks.

I suppose the ultimate answer is if we want all the said services (and it's practical) is to get Sky.
I look at it a bit differently i pay £22.50 a month for sky sports for that i think we should get a full service and why not,sky did invest thats a given but against a background at the time of BT post privatisation being forbidden for a few years launching a tv service so you could say sky has had a leg up.

Also we as taxpayers made an investment in BT which sky now have access to for their broadband offering without ever having made any investment themselves in the telephone network,or indeed laying their own lines.

I cannot have access to sky but after forking out a hefty amount a month i do not see why i should have to start to watch a cricket match,only for it to continue on red button with no access for me.

Sky have invested but they make no bones about using things others have invested in,glass houses and all that.

---------- Post added at 00:50 ---------- Previous post was at 00:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobes View Post
I read it here somewhere... cant sodding find it now... was it Spiderplant who said so...

From your response DF Im guessing that was wrong
Think it was the ofcom pay tv enquirey which said sky sports 1 and 2 red button only.

Unless vm made a different deal at the time of the sale of their channels to sky.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:31   #27
pauldavies83
Inactive

pauldavies83 is on a distinguished roadpauldavies83 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiec21 View Post
Surely that's how the BBC service is done now, hidden video streams with a MHEG (or whatever the DVB-C equivalent is) overlay. I've not used the Sky Red Button service a lot, but I'd love to know what's there that couldn't be done in the same way the BBC service is now. Video content with a data overlay.
I'd assume it is how all the "interactive" choice systems work, the pictures broadcast as video streams.

What I was getting at was before the freeview overlay system was ready, BBCi just broadcast the video streams as channels rather than hiding them.

Don't see why VM can't just do this until the overlay is ready. Saves us missing out on the content altogether.
pauldavies83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:39   #28
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldavies83 View Post
I'd assume it is how all the "interactive" choice systems work, the pictures broadcast as video streams.

What I was getting at was before the freeview overlay system was ready, BBCi just broadcast the video streams as channels rather than hiding them.

Don't see why VM can't just do this until the overlay is ready. Saves us missing out on the content altogether.
It's Sky's content, so they will be calling the shots on delivery.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:55   #29
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post
I look at it a bit differently i pay £22.50 a month for sky sports for that i think we should get a full service and why not,sky did invest thats a given but against a background at the time of BT post privatisation being forbidden for a few years launching a tv service so you could say sky has had a leg up.
Completely agree, it should be a full service. Just checked the Sky website and SD Sports is £20.25 on top of whatever TV Packs you have.

I appreciate VM need to make some profit on each SS sub but we VM customers effectively pay more or less the same as Sky Customers for an inferior service.
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 14:06   #30
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post

Also we as taxpayers made an investment in BT which sky now have access to for their broadband offering without ever having made any investment themselves in the telephone network,or indeed laying their own lines.

I cannot have access to sky but after forking out a hefty amount a month i do not see why i should have to start to watch a cricket match,only for it to continue on red button with no access for me.

Sky have invested but they make no bones about using things others have invested in,glass houses and all that.

---------- Post added at 00:50 ---------- Previous post was at 00:47 ----------

Think it was the ofcom pay tv enquirey which said sky sports 1 and 2 red button only.

Unless vm made a different deal at the time of the sale of their channels to sky
Ofcom agreement was for Sky Sports HD1 & 2 access for fair price to VM, BT.

VM did a seperate deal (as part of the VMtv sale) with Sky for Sky Movies HD, Sky1HD, Sky Arts HD1 & 2, the then Sky Real Lives HD channels and red button access to Sky Sports.

---------- Post added at 14:06 ---------- Previous post was at 14:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
Completely agree, it should be a full service. Just checked the Sky website and SD Sports is £20.25 on top of whatever TV Packs you have.

I appreciate VM need to make some profit on each SS sub but we VM customers effectively pay more or less the same as Sky Customers for an inferior service.
This is what VM believe too. The launch of red button will close that gap somewhat.