Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Uber licence revoked

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Uber licence revoked

Old 22-09-2017, 16:31   #16
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age
Re: Uber licence revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
It will be a while before Uber actually stop operating, I think a compromise will be found personally. I mean Uber's prices would have been risen eventually - their business model is to operate at a loss to undercut the competition (who aren't backed by venture capital) until the competition is gone at which point they would have a stranglehold.

I do use Uber, find them useful and so cheap, but I do feel conflicted about the way they operate as a business.

I mean there is a touch of arrogance from them about this. The conditions aren't unfair. Have your drivers pass CRB checks, be better and faster in reporting serious allegations in your vehicles and don't use the special software they have to avoid inspectors (they literally have this). Meet those conditions, applied to all other drivers that require a taxi licence, and they can operate.

I should also say that the best thing about Uber is a sense of safety when you're in a foreign city. You know you won't get screwed.
I'm not really up to date on Uber, but I'm not sure why you get a sense of safety from Uber if they aren't CRB checked. How is it any safer than a normal taxi?
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-09-2017, 16:37   #17
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
I'm not really up to date on Uber, but I'm not sure why you get a sense of safety from Uber if they aren't CRB checked. How is it any safer than a normal taxi?
Because you're tracked. A driver can't just ride off with you (more of a concern for women than myself).

But for me it's that other countries do not have as good regulation on their drivers as London. A lot of places have cab drivers that might try and rip you off because there is a lack of standardised prices or lack of enforcement.

I went to Mexico City and you're recommended to only get taxis known by the hotel and let them call it for you. They also tend to jot down the registration number when you get in. This is not uncommon outside of the US or Europe (and even then some cities are worse than others).

Uber doesn't have these problems. They, the company, decide the price and know the drivers. You have a US-based company to follow up any issues you have and a map of the route they took you.

Last edited by Damien; 22-09-2017 at 16:43.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 16:58   #18
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Because you're tracked. A driver can't just ride off with you (more of a concern for women than myself).

But for me it's that other countries do not have as good regulation on their drivers as London. A lot of places have cab drivers that might try and rip you off because there is a lack of standardised prices or lack of enforcement.

I went to Mexico City and you're recommended to only get taxis known by the hotel and let them call it for you. They also tend to jot down the registration number when you get in. This is not uncommon outside of the US or Europe (and even then some cities are worse than others).

Uber doesn't have these problems. They, the company, decide the price and know the drivers. You have a US-based company to follow up any issues you have and a map of the route they took you.
Are Ubers tracked worldwide? Aren't most taxis these days too?
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 17:18   #19
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
Are Ubers tracked worldwide? Aren't most taxis these days too?
Uber works via an app which tracks each trip in it's entirety to work out what to charge and where their drivers are in order for the next pick-up.
Old 22-09-2017, 18:50   #20
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Uber did bring a lot of convenience but I think at it's core it's a taxi service. You can call it via an app rather than a phone call but the fundamental nature of the service the same as Addison Lee or any other taxi service that you don't flag down (which is reserved for the black cabs).

I don't see what is different enough about their service that means they think they do not need criminal record checks for a licence for example. I think it's Uber trying to operate without having to worry about regulations in local markets which would impede their ability to expand aggressively. If they had to abide by London's rules then they have no argument not to do so in Paris, or Budapest, or Oslo. That would be a annoyance to a company who are trying to expand massively and quickly. It's a trend you see in a lot of technology start-ups out of Silicon Valley - a contempt for the laws and regulations of external markets.

They want to hover above local authorities and just be 'a service'. I get the appeal because it's frustrating when we don't get something America has because of the burden of those companies entering a new market but at the same time asking for drivers to have these checks and for crimes to be reported is not unreasonable.

I am not sure how the relation between a law and regulation works. However it seems TFL have a set of conditions applied to a taxi licence which includes the proper reporting of crimes, criminal record checks and whatever that business with the health certificate is. I find it entirely believable Uber have tried to get around that. Although the fact they have software to avoid government inspections makes me think they know what they're doing.

If TFL have done something wrong here I suspect it's that they're lying about Uber not complying to appease black cabs. Not in imposing this conditions.
What's different enough or not is clearly for the courts to decide and as with all legal argument which can't be otherwise resolved, both sides believe they have a case. Testing rules/regulations is normal practice in business where there's some doubt what applies and what doesn't. I recall the early days of the Data Protection Act when I raised a succession of queries as to whether or not my business needed to be registered which they could not answer categorically. Their suggestion was to be a test case... It's the same with complex tax law.

In this case the judges concerned will be the ones whose words matter and thereafter the rules will be clearer and obviously that needs to happen.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 20:16   #21
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Uber works via an app which tracks each trip in it's entirety to work out what to charge and where their drivers are in order for the next pick-up.
Nothing different to the majority private hire companies in the UK.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 20:32   #22
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Nothing different to the majority private hire companies in the UK.
Fair enough but this isn't the case in many cities, hence why I use Uber in them.
Old 23-09-2017, 05:09   #23
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Even if they have no licence in London, they can get round it by using taxis licensed elsewhere.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 10:16   #24
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I'd rather use a genuine London cabbie who has been CRB'd,is insured, knows how to get around London and I can flag down safely knowing I won't get ripped off. Let's hope I continue to have that choice.
Old 23-09-2017, 12:47   #25
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
I'd rather use a genuine London cabbie who has been CRB'd,is insured, knows how to get around London and I can flag down safely knowing I won't get ripped off. Let's hope I continue to have that choice.
That's everyone's choice to make but not everyone can afford it which is why Uber and mini-cabs became so popular. Can't recall the last time we used a black cab for anything, just too expensive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-41369617

Quote:
Hundreds of thousands of people have signed a petition calling for Transport for London to reverse its decision not to renew Uber's licence.
On Friday, the regulator said Uber was not "fit and proper" to hold a London private hire operator licence on the grounds of "public safety and security implications".
More than 400,000 names have since been added to Uber's petition on Change.org.
The ride-hailing app firm says it will appeal against TfL's decision.
The petition, started by Uber London, says: "If this decision stands, it will put more than 40,000 licensed drivers out of work and deprive millions of Londoners of a convenient and affordable form of transport."
Old 23-09-2017, 12:53   #26
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I've used them a few times in Glasgow and the drivers are always super friendly and know where they are going. however a friend got ripped off once as the driver never stopped the meter and she ended up getting charged £300 as he was driving around for hours.

however the two local private hire cab companies I use most in glasgow now also have an app so you can call and track your taxi. So no real need for Uber here.
Old 23-09-2017, 13:34   #27
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I've used them a few times in Glasgow and the drivers are always super friendly and know where they are going. however a friend got ripped off once as the driver never stopped the meter and she ended up getting charged £300 as he was driving around for hours.

however the two local private hire cab companies I use most in glasgow now also have an app so you can call and track your taxi. So no real need for Uber here.
If there's not a significant price difference, I think a lot of people just use the easiest, most visible, high profile method of ordering whether it's cabs or takeaways. Why on earth would anyone order food from their local Chinese, Indian or whatever via one of the food delivery apps for example when they could just call them direct? Laziness? All that happens is that the supplier has to provide a cut of his profit to the intermediary. It's clearly not about price, it's about convenience but even so there's very little added convenience for anyone who isn't in the slightest bit organised.
Old 24-09-2017, 09:07   #28
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I don't use apps to order food. I ring the venue direct or I walk there.
Old 24-09-2017, 16:48   #29
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
I don't use apps to order food. I ring the venue direct or I walk there.
Same here. The exercise helps to offset the calories...
Old 24-09-2017, 16:52   #30
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

Some elderly folks do not have smart phones so Uber would not help them.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote