Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Home Network Problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

New Router

Old 23-04-2012, 15:13   #1
ruddock08
cf.addict

Services: VIVID 200 Broadband + BT Whole Home WiFi
ruddock08 is on a distinguished roadruddock08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ruddock08
New Router

So I systematically update all the equipment in our house in June. Looking at a new router as I'm ashamed to say I am currently using Virgin's bog standard wireless router on my 20MB connection (VMDG2800?) - which, to be fair has done a brilliant job serving our 3 computers, iPhones, iPads and streaming video from our NAS.

The router is going to be moved into my main room, which is in the top corner of my house. I know, for a fact that Virgin's Superhub isn't going to be able to get to downstairs on the opposite corner of the house (or at leats not at an acceptable speed)

Just wondering what your guys thoughts were on a router with excellent coverage and good speed. I must add here that coverage comes before speed. I've been looking at the Linksys e4200 and Netgear WNDR4500 - both seem excellent - feel free to offer alternatives if you have them! Also, be looking at a USB adapter to go with too (no good having a good router and then a rubbish cheap adapter!)

Cheers
ruddock08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-04-2012, 16:02   #2
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: New Router

router/adapter.. linksys. be sure you double check versions of the router.. its nice to have the option to load third party firmware.

regarding adapter you mean wireless usb adapter? if so which systems will they suuport. you could posdibly aviof a sticking out usb adapter for an inbuilt wireless card upgrade.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 19:19   #3
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: New Router

Netgear WPN824.

Sure it maxes out at 20mb but the Ruckus beamforming technology gives it the best range of any (legal) router I've come across.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote