Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Domestic & General Insurance.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Domestic & General Insurance.

Old 02-12-2009, 20:53   #16
mrg999
Inactive

mrg999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Domestic & General Insurance.

I had Domestic & General Insurance with my Fridge / washer and TV
and let me tell you i was glad i had it. They say things come in threes and i agree
Strike one
The washer was banging all over the place ( as if a brick was inside it ) Engineer arrived and found 2 springs busted along with the programmer all repaired and well.
Strike two
next the fridge just wouldn't chill it was not economically viable for repair and we got a new one.
Strike three
Then believe it or not the TV popped it's clogs and was repaired the next day
i was always skeptical about taking this kind of cover but all those things happened in a 3 month period and am i glad i said yes when i registered
the down side was the car broke down and it took a good old fashioned credit card to sort it out ( Renault garage )
All in all i saved money long term with those appliances and found that over all the service was excellent
We have since given the TV to our daughter and purchased a new one and i did not hesitate when asked to take out an extended warranty
At the end of the day should you be as unlucky as i was or unluckier all wont be lost , it's just piece of mind
mrg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2009, 06:16   #17
Jonboy
Inactive

Services: XL Package With Souper Dooper Pooper Hub(sometimes)
Jonboy has a spectacular aura about themJonboy has a spectacular aura about themJonboy has a spectacular aura about themJonboy has a spectacular aura about them
Send a message via ICQ to Jonboy

i was a service engineer for 30 yrs and in my humble opinion domestic and general are the best insurance you can get for any domestic appliance the rest just argue and try to get the cheapest job done
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 19:25   #18
Nidge

Services: Virgin, phone and 50meg Broadband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
i was a service engineer for 30 yrs and in my humble opinion domestic and general are the best insurance you can get for any domestic appliance the rest just argue and try to get the cheapest job done

I forgot about this thread, D&G continue to be the best for warranties if you look at the consumer news you'll find they are still coming out the best.
Old 06-12-2009, 19:46   #19
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Although D&G did argue when I tried to cancel their insurance. They couldn't seem to accept that I didn't want to pay for insurance for a DVD Player that I no longer use.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 20:40   #20
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

I just bought a Nikon DSLR Camera from Jessops and the Accidental Damage plan that they provided for £69 is a D&G policy. I was a little sceptical about this company as I'd never heard of them before but now I'm very hopeful that if anything goes wrong I will be provided with a good service
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 22:48   #21
Rockabilly Spike
Inactive

Rockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud of

"If you know your legal rights any catastrophic failure would be covered by the sale of goods act. That protects you for between 5 and 6 years."

but the onus is on you to prove the item is not fit for purpose.
this can be a very long and initially costly road to go down.

the sale of goods act is not an automatic 5-6 year extended warranty.
Rockabilly Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:54   #22
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockabilly Spike View Post
"If you know your legal rights any catastrophic failure would be covered by the sale of goods act. That protects you for between 5 and 6 years."

but the onus is on you to prove the item is not fit for purpose.
this can be a very long and initially costly road to go down.

the sale of goods act is not an automatic 5-6 year extended warranty.
Didn't quite get the point you were trying to make there...?

Many people are now aware of this, but tend not to use it as the wording states that manufacturers have duty to make sure that the item in question is fit for use for a reasonable time after sale, but it depends on what constitutes a "reasonable time". As my definition may be different from yours and everyone elses
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 15:06   #23
ricochet
Inactive

ricochet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidge View Post
I forgot about this thread, D&G continue to be the best for warranties if you look at the consumer news you'll find they are still coming out the best.
Nov4th our f/f went wrong and we phoned D&G.

to miss out the yards of non service in between

the current situation (DEC 8) is the fridge doesn't work at all, and the freezer is the temp of a good fridge.

last week they offered at some indetermined date to replace it with an Indesit IDS 125f ( or something similar) which turned out to be a Hotpoint wm/c! at a cost to us of £98 which didn't include removing the dead f/f or installing the new one ( whatever it may be ) , and this is on a NEW for OLD policy.

I'm not impressed but perhaps i'm just picky.
ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 19:19   #24
Jonboy
Inactive

Services: XL Package With Souper Dooper Pooper Hub(sometimes)
Jonboy has a spectacular aura about themJonboy has a spectacular aura about themJonboy has a spectacular aura about themJonboy has a spectacular aura about them
Send a message via ICQ to Jonboy

think thats sheer bad luck
i had always found g&g a very good company to deal with but that was 10yrs ago we now seem to be in a world of we take your money but you get no choice i am really sorry you are being given a hard time by a company that i would recomend to anyone seems times have really changed and not for the good
i hope you get sorted ot real soon
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 17:37   #25
ricochet
Inactive

ricochet is an unknown quantity at this point

new f/f delivered dec17th! and they tried to hard sell another policy "we can't guarantee the price will be the same if you phone back" still thinking about it:
ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 20:15   #26
jodash
Inactive

Services: Virgin VHDX1 Tivo X2 100mg B/B and Telephone (VIP) IPhone,Ipad
jodash is on a distinguished roadjodash is on a distinguished road

we had a bad experiance with them will not give them my business again
jodash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 22:34   #27
Flyboy
Inactive

Flyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochet View Post
Nov4th our f/f went wrong and we phoned D&G.

to miss out the yards of non service in between

the current situation (DEC 8) is the fridge doesn't work at all, and the freezer is the temp of a good fridge.

last week they offered at some indetermined date to replace it with an Indesit IDS 125f ( or something similar) which turned out to be a Hotpoint wm/c! at a cost to us of £98 which didn't include removing the dead f/f or installing the new one ( whatever it may be ) , and this is on a NEW for OLD policy.

I'm not impressed but perhaps i'm just picky.
Are you absolutely sure that is precisely what it says?
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote