Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub & Virgin Media Business

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Sipgate VoIP with Superhub SH2

Old 20-01-2015, 13:54   #1
Romany
Inactive

Romany is an unknown quantity at this point
Sipgate VoIP with Superhub SH2

I've had a look on here and it seems that there were originally problems using Sipgate with the SH2, but that they seemed to have been resolved. However, although my Sipgate was working perfectly on an old Motorola Surfboard with a D-Link 300 router on 20Mb Virgin cable, since the Superhub arrived yesterday as part of a 50Mb upgrade, I've been having problems.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had problems combining these two bits of kit? The Superhub firewall is turned off but that's the only modification since I factory reset it. The Sipgate settings are exactly as they were with the old setup.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

p.s. It IS the SH2 not SH1 - I paid a bit more to get it.
Romany is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-01-2015, 18:56   #2
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Sipgate VoIP with Superhub SH2

The shubs has all sorts of problems with voip software and hardware when they first came out and VM released several versions of firmware to try and fix the majority of issues. The problem with the shubs is that they aren't very configurable so I suggest you do one of two things:

1) Post your problem on the VM community forum and wait for one of the team to get back to you with a solution
2) If they say there isn't a fix, I suggest you put the shub in modem mode and go back to using a proper router (or maybe invest in a new one if you old router is "old" and can't handle the increased throughput.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 21:14   #3
Romany
Inactive

Thanks General - I'll try the VM forum. In the meantime I've turned on a DMZ for the Sipgate phone and everything works fine. Are there any horrible security implications to having just that one IP address demilitarized?
Old 20-01-2015, 22:53   #4
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Depends how many security vulnerabilities the phone has.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 23:09   #5
Romany
Inactive

Could any form of attack use the phone's IP to get into my computer on a different IP address?

p.s. - love the resistance avatar!
Old 21-01-2015, 00:31   #6
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Depends on the phone.

Putting it in a DMZ is basically equivalent to giving the whole internet the same level of access to the device as somebody connected directly to it on your own network.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 17:55   #7
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

The solution with anything other than the most simple functions loaded onto the SH router is to go into modem mode with your own external router. No ifs and buts about that.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote