Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Speed test sites and why you shouldnt take them for granted

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Speed test sites and why you shouldnt take them for granted

Old 16-02-2012, 18:53   #16
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
Re: Speed test sites and why you shouldnt take them for granted

i use the in build firefox checker, which yes, is activates to English (US) by default, but it takes about 30 seconds to change it to UK
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-02-2012, 20:29   #17
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Not the first time the mods have had to tidy up a thread that's migrated to the topic of Dyslexia. Off-topic posts deleted, please keep this thread on-topic.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 15:33   #18
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
yip, just trying to point out that peopel seeing 0.5down and 5mb up and think ther eis problem just showing from a connection workign fine it can vary on teh result jsut from the ocmputer itself but it isnt the only factor to speed test , i suppose wha ti was trying to convey is just take the speedtest for literals there other ways to check they can help indicator a problem but can indictor a problem that isnt there to because potential ofa pc issue
Whilst a local issue could cause a bottleneck, I wouldnt expect a 0.5meg speed to be local.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 19:05   #19
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
Whilst a local issue could cause a bottleneck, I wouldnt expect a 0.5meg speed to be local.
so i have issue with my connection then?

i have had it listed me with 0.5 down connection and on the other machine 50mb i can get 6MB/s download speed easi;ly

so yes it doesnt mean there a fault but it oculd be if you get a speed test saying you have got less speed than you pay for oyu need to run other tests to confirm your nto getting the speed
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 05:54   #20
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

I have had slow speed tests followed by fast ones, that doesnt mean its a local issue, just that my VM connectivity is highly variable.

Now I am curious why would one of your machines only get 0.5meg/sec?
Old 19-02-2012, 10:37   #21
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I have had slow speed tests followed by fast ones, that doesnt mean its a local issue, just that my VM connectivity is highly variable.

Now I am curious why would one of your machines only get 0.5meg/sec?
because as i stated in ym original post, there is more to speed test that just oyur conenction, there is your comptuer, connection, speed test pipe and numebr of user using the test at the same timeas you and other things

since this comuter is runnign slow in generally the speed test site are effected, but the other machines are highly optismed and run very fast so they generally get the connection speed fine
Old 19-02-2012, 11:12   #22
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

you realise how low 0.5meg/sec is tho?

for a machine to run that low it would have to be a very extreme problem. even a unoptimised network connection running at 10mbit half duplex could easily surpass 0.5meg/sec.

I have a 486 that can test at about 2meg/sec on speedtest,net with the fash saturating the cpu.
Old 19-02-2012, 11:54   #23
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Quote:
you realise how low 0.5meg/sec is tho?

for a machine to run that low it would have to be a very extreme problem. even a unoptimised network connection running at 10mbit half duplex could easily surpass 0.5meg/sec.

I have a 486 that can test at about 2meg/sec on speedtest,net with the fash saturating the cpu.
if i said 0.5meg/s then i was the stupid one lol, i meant ont eh speed test site it says 0.5MB/5MB up a lot but generally says 10MB down 5MB up

ah but there is the problem, on that machine bring task manager up then post your number of current runnign programs as well as the cpu usage (average as it changesa lot) commit charge

currently this one is doing 76 processes, cpu usage on average of 80% commit charge of 2000M/5500M and 1800M is in memory ( i know why it is and since this is amahcien i use for general browsing i aint going ot fix it)
Old 19-02-2012, 19:46   #24
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

80% cpu usage on idle?

that will be a very unusual situation and not many people will have a computer in that state.

that isnt really about tuning, you have something seriously wrong on that machine.

so yes its possible for a machine to cause that speed but it be very unlikely.
Old 19-02-2012, 19:48   #25
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

idle, my machine is between 0% and 3% - thats with 73 processes running
Old 19-02-2012, 19:54   #26
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Quote:
80% cpu usage on idle?

that will be a very unusual situation and not many people will have a computer in that state.

that isnt really about tuning, you have something seriously wrong on that machine.

so yes its possible for a machine to cause that speed but it be very unlikely.
as i say i know what causing it but i aint goign to fix it, because i will be rebuilding the system soon, however shop bought comptuer from pc world generally have got a high cpu memory usage as well as process, not as bad as mine lol because your right it si fault but i have seen computer out the box so to say having 5-30% usage quite a lot, and generally the one who come asking about the speeds are peopel with no understanding of comptuers so what i hvae said is true you shouldnt take the speedtest sites for granted unless you run other test and aware how the comptuer works
Old 19-02-2012, 20:11   #27
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
idle, my machine is between 0% and 3% - thats with 73 processes running
My server(s) have about 50 processes while idle and CPU use of exactly 0%, my desktop on the other hand idles with about 140 processes but CPU doesn't exceed 10% even while gaming.

80% idle is a seriously broken/virused up computer.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 20:40   #28
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

sounds like a high spec pc then!!!
Old 19-02-2012, 22:38   #29
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Not really. Fairly low-end quad-core by today's standards.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 23:08   #30
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Not really. Fairly low-end quad-core by today's standards.
fair enough, i suppose it depends what games really