Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Recommended Android apps

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Totally blind mice get sight back

Old 06-01-2013, 02:18   #1
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Totally blind mice get sight back

Hopefully this may help Dilli one day...
Quote:
The research team, at the University of Oxford, used mice with a complete lack of light-sensing photoreceptor cells in their retinas. The mice were unable to tell the difference between light and dark.

They injected "precursor" cells which will develop into the building blocks of a retina once inside the eye. Two weeks after the injections a retina had formed, according to the findings presented in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences journal.

Prof Robert MacLaren said: "We have recreated the whole structure, basically it's the first proof that you can take a completely blind mouse, put the cells in and reconstruct the entire light-sensitive layer."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20898935
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2013, 14:38   #2
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Totally blind mice get sight back

Did they use 3?
Old 06-01-2013, 18:11   #3
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Did they use 3?
Old 06-01-2013, 19:05   #4
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Did they use 3?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
It took me a little while to figure that one out, i blame the fact i have been downing carlsberg

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 21:43   #5
Scrubbs
cf.mega poster

Services: phone,BB20meg ,telly
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal

there wasn't any female rural co-habiters with kitchen utensils involved was there?

Old Age And Treachery Will Defeat Youth and Enthusiasm Everytime.
Scrubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 18:59   #6
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Did they use 3?
No, they used two (it was a double blind trial)...

Scientist joke
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 21:16   #7
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
No, they used two (it was a double blind trial)...

Scientist joke
Old 08-01-2013, 12:39   #8
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 11 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

Please stop. This was a serious thread.

This research could help people with glaucoma, too. I have it, but I'm lucky to have a highly competent optician (Norman Clough's) who spotted the signs and referred me to the hospital for a check. Thus it was caught early (in fact I developed the condition early - I was too young to have glaucoma!) and I haven't noticed any sight degradation. The eyedrops I'm taking should prevent it from getting any worse. This research, though, might result in a more permanent treatment - though of course blind and nearly blind people should get priority. I'd be way down on such a list, and righhtly so.
Old 08-01-2013, 17:25   #9
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 11 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

Or 'rightly so', even. Gaah!

The retinal surgery I had, successful though it was, has changed my spectacles prescription, so my vision's a little off - otherwise that typo would never have gotten past me! Ooh, I can't wait for the new specs!
Old 12-01-2013, 00:38   #10
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Did they use 3?
Three blind mice, three blind mice,
They all ran after the farmers wife,
Who cut off their tails with a carving knife,
Did you ever see such a thing in your life,
As three blind mice.

---------- Post added at 23:38 ---------- Previous post was at 23:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
Please stop. This was a serious thread.

This research could help people with glaucoma, too. I have it, but I'm lucky to have a highly competent optician (Norman Clough's) who spotted the signs and referred me to the hospital for a check. Thus it was caught early (in fact I developed the condition early - I was too young to have glaucoma!) and I haven't noticed any sight degradation. The eyedrops I'm taking should prevent it from getting any worse. This research, though, might result in a more permanent treatment - though of course blind and nearly blind people should get priority. I'd be way down on such a list, and righhtly so.
It's a good thing that it was caught early
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 17:54   #11
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Three blind mice, three blind mice,
Quote:
Did they use 3?
They all ran after the farmers wife,
Who cut off their tails with a carving knife,
Did you ever see such a thing in your life,
As three blind mice.

[