Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UHD on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

UHD on Virgin Media

Old 26-10-2017, 01:12   #76
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
since bbc or itv don't have UHD and unlikely too by June no

Dave, ffs man, cheer up...............
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-10-2017, 01:27   #77
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Dave, ffs man, cheer up...............
eh just stating a FACT
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 04:09   #78
Barriescott
cf.member

Barriescott is an unknown quantity at this point

They can’t even give you sky movies on demand in hd let alone uhd just a hand full of movies is hd on demand and some times the big releases are only available in sd ie Star Wars force awakens, batman verses superman, spectre when you address it with virgin they just fob you off, defo off back to sky next year

Last edited by Barriescott; 26-10-2017 at 04:10. Reason: Miss spelling
Barriescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 10:41   #79
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
eh just stating a FACT
It's not a fact, Dave, it's just what you think. As spanky says, they have trialled it on the i-player already, and it looked great by the way, so if the feed is provided to them on a plate, there's no reason why they can't put a bit of effort into this.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 10:47   #80
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
For now they would have some areas unable to receive 4k which would probably cause complaints.
The same bandwidth is reserved for broadcast TV across the entire network.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 11:59   #81
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It's not a fact, Dave, it's just what you think. As spanky says, they have trialled it on the i-player already, and it looked great by the way, so if the feed is provided to them on a plate, there's no reason why they can't put a bit of effort into this.
please tell us what platform BBC and ITV UHD channels are on OB oh yeah none they don't have UHD as I said I was stating a FACT
Old 26-10-2017, 12:07   #82
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
please tell us what platform BBC and ITV UHD channels are on OB oh yeah none they don't have UHD
The voice of doom speaks again.

As already mentioned, the BBC only have to put the live feed onto the BBC i-Player. They trialled a UHD sequence on there a few months ago. As you say, there is no BBC UHD channel as yet and there probably won't be for some time.

I don't honestly know whether ITV is likely to be able to provide UHD in time for the match. I would be inclined to say that they won't be able to achieve this but I have no specific information to back that up.
Old 26-10-2017, 12:33   #83
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Quote:
The voice of doom speaks again.

As already mentioned, the BBC only have to put the live feed onto the BBC i-Player. They trialled a UHD sequence on there a few months ago. As you say, there is no BBC UHD channel as yet and there probably won't be for some time.

I don't honestly know whether ITV is likely to be able to provide UHD in time for the match. I would be inclined to say that they won't be able to achieve this but I have no specific information to back that up.
so tell us OB how is stating a FACT voice of doom unless you don't like facts like
Old 26-10-2017, 12:38   #84
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

This casts a little extra light on whether the UK will benefit from seeing the World Cup in UHD.

The article lends support to the likelihood of the BBC taking advantage of this opportunity, and the probability that ITV will pass on this one.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1282...shot-in-4k-hdr

---------- Post added at 11:38 ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 ----------

Quote:
so tell us OB how is stating a FACT voice of doom unless you don't like facts like
How can it be a fact when I have already reminded you that the BBC can stream the World Cup on the i-Player? They have already tested UHD by this method.

I accept that you may not think it will happen, but that doesn't make it a fact.

Dave, in your world, nothing is ever going to change, you will never get old and you will live forever. Well, good luck with that...
Old 26-10-2017, 12:39   #85
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
The same bandwidth is reserved for broadcast TV across the entire network.
Exactly. That's my point. Areas on 750M networks that are full won't have space for the extra multiplexes.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 12:40   #86
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Quote:
This casts a little extra light on whether the UK will benefit from seeing the World Cup in UHD.

The article lends support to the likelihood of the BBC taking advantage of this opportunity, and the probability that ITV will pass on this one.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1282...shot-in-4k-hdr

---------- Post added at 11:38 ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 ----------

How can it be a fact when I have already reminded you that the BBC can stream the World Cup on the i-Player? They have already tested UHD by this method.

I accept that you may not think it will happen, but that doesn't make it a fact.

Dave, in your world, nothing is ever going to change, you will never get old and you will live forever. Well, good luck with that...
tell us what number the and platform UHD channel is there isn't one FACT
Old 26-10-2017, 12:43   #87
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Exactly. That's my point. Areas on 750M networks that are full won't have space for the extra multiplexes.
But would that problem impact on the ability of VM to allow UHD on apps like the BBC i-Player? It doesn't appear to be a problem on Netflix or You Tube.

---------- Post added at 11:43 ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 ----------

Quote:
tell us what number the and platform UHD channel is there isn't one FACT
i-Player, Dave, i-Player. Come on, keep up!
Old 26-10-2017, 12:51   #88
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Quote:
But would that problem impact on the ability of VM to allow UHD on apps like the BBC i-Player? It doesn't appear to be a problem on Netflix or You Tube.

---------- Post added at 11:43 ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 ----------

i-Player, Dave, i-Player. Come on, keep up!
that's not a channel keep up OB I said channel
Old 26-10-2017, 12:56   #89
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
that's not a channel keep up OB I said channel
What difference does it make that it is being streamed rather than by numbered channels on the EPG?!!

This is the way of the future, Dave and you may as well get used to it. Incidentally, the i-Player is a 'channel', but not a conventional broadcast channel.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 26-10-2017 at 13:35.
Old 26-10-2017, 13:31   #90
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
No extra multiplexes are required. The existing ones have sufficient capacity.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote