Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Uddingston ML5 2 Upstream Channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Uddingston ML5 2 Upstream Channels

Old 17-08-2013, 16:26   #46
Jumping
Inactive

Jumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Uddingston ML5 2 Upstream Channels

Similar ping to what I get seems Preston is a good site to test to must be good routing to there.

Will be interesting to see if our ping goes down once they open the Edinbugh LINX peering should be good not to have to go through England all the time...

This is my test to Preston on wireless.

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-08-2013, 20:36   #47
Gstevie
cf.member

Services: Virgin Media: TV-XL, 100Mb (Superhub 2), TiVo
Gstevie is on a distinguished roadGstevie is on a distinguished road

My tests there were done via Ethernet, the only wireless devices I have are iPhones, iPads ect.

That will be interesting to see. Any clue when that's meant to happen?
Gstevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 20:52   #48
Jumping
Inactive

Jumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of light

I'm not sure, I should be able to find out as it will be hosted in one of the datacenters that the company I work for have.

Don't think its that far away to be honest which is good.
Old 17-08-2013, 23:27   #49
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping View Post
I'm not sure, I should be able to find out as it will be hosted in one of the datacenters that the company I work for have.

Don't think its that far away to be honest which is good.
So does this mean that all the traffic from Uddingston will go through Edinburgh and not England.
Old 17-08-2013, 23:58   #50
Jumping
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Dee 11 View Post
So does this mean that all the traffic from Uddingston will go through Edinburgh and not England.
Well a lot of the traffic if Virgin's routing behaves as it should it should then go through Edinburgh out to the world which should save having to do down to London etc. Happy routing days indeed!
Old 18-08-2013, 00:10   #51
Martin_D
cf.geek

Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

How did you find out about it. ?
Old 18-08-2013, 01:05   #52
Jumping
Inactive

As I said I work for the company where it will go through.

If you google for Internet exchange Scotland you can find a bit more information about it.

Here is a pretty good read on it http://blogs.scotland.gov.uk/digital...-for-scotland/
Old 18-08-2013, 01:17   #53
Martin_D
cf.geek

Quote:

If you google for Internet exchange Scotland you can find a bit more information about it.

Here is a pretty good read on it http://blogs.scotland.gov.uk/digital...-for-scotland/
That was very interesting thank for the link
Old 18-08-2013, 01:50   #54
Gstevie
cf.member

Services: Virgin Media: TV-XL, 100Mb (Superhub 2), TiVo
Gstevie is on a distinguished roadGstevie is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Thanks, good read.
Gstevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 07:37   #55
Martin_D
cf.geek

So if i have got this right LINX will instill it's equipment in a up & running data center at your work Jumping. So lets say IXScotland goes live September will virgin move straight onto it or will they wait for a couple of months.

Sorry if this is a stupid question
Old 18-08-2013, 11:09   #56
Jumping
Inactive

I know Virgin is already involved with it as most big internet companies are. So im hoping Virgin will have their routing setup for it as soon as it goes live....but we are talking about Virgin here
Old 18-08-2013, 17:47   #57
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
IXScotland
SINX rolls off the tongue better

---------- Post added at 16:47 ---------- Previous post was at 16:46 ----------

Quote:
I know Virgin is already involved with it as most big internet companies are. So im hoping Virgin will have their routing setup for it as soon as it goes live....but we are talking about Virgin here
Virgin and routing tend not to go together very well
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 23:12   #58
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Similar ping to what I get seems Preston is a good site to test to must be good routing to there.
Preston is good for VM customers because it's hosted on VM's own network, and a relatively decent part of it too.

---------- Post added at 22:02 ---------- Previous post was at 22:00 ----------

Quote:
Will be interesting to see if our ping goes down once they open the Edinbugh LINX peering should be good not to have to go through England all the time...
WTF is Edinburgh LINX? LINX is London Internet eXchange. London is not in Edinburgh.

---------- Post added at 22:07 ---------- Previous post was at 22:02 ----------

Quote:
So if i have got this right LINX will instill it's equipment in a up & running data center at your work Jumping. So lets say IXScotland goes live September will virgin move straight onto it or will they wait for a couple of months.
We already have a major IXP in Scotland and Virgin already connect to it, as do most other major ISPs.

Chances are if they build a new one, it'll be right next to the old one, which also happens to be right next VM's biggest datacentre in Scotland anyway. I doubt they'll take much time to "move straight onto it" when they're already sat next door.

Then again everything VM does around here is either slow or to save money, and this doesn't save them much money so go figure...

---------- Post added at 22:09 ---------- Previous post was at 22:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
Virgin and routing tend not to go together very well
Hah.

Indeed, VM has had interconnects in Scotland with all the major providers for years and yet uses none of them for consumer broadband.

---------- Post added at 22:12 ---------- Previous post was at 22:09 ----------

Quote:
Well a lot of the traffic if Virgin's routing behaves as it should it should then go through Edinburgh out to the world which should save having to do down to London etc. Happy routing days indeed!
There's very little "the world" reachable from Edinburgh for any data to go. The only traffic that VM would benefit from sending over the link is to central and northern Scotland, which bluntly speaking, contains nothing of internetery significance.

For all other traffic, it is of benefit to VM to keep it on their own network as far as possible, which means taking it down to London or Amsterdam internally and routing it out from there.

Even at the biggest Scottish universities - the biggest non-ISP data carriers around, with thousands of internal servers and a captive audience - you'd be surprised how little traffic actually goes or stays anywhere near Scotland.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 23:14   #59
Jumping
Inactive

Bought a new router chepo Tenda N60 to be able to get some 5Ghz seems to work pretty well with my new wireless card that can do 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz.

Unfortunately I seem to been moved to different upstream channels during the tinkering and my IP changed from 80. something to 213.x.x.x need to try and force myself back to upstream channel 1 & 2 instead of 4&5 as the new graph isn't as good and smooth.
Old 23-08-2013, 10:01   #60
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

It might not help with the upstreams, but you may be able to get your old IP back by changing the MAC address on the Tenda to the MAC address your old router was using.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote