Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 60mb big problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Signal boosting??

Old 05-05-2012, 16:01   #1
TONYHAMILTON
Inactive

TONYHAMILTON is an unknown quantity at this point
Signal boosting??

I live in a shared house thats an old guest house(its the size of 1 and a half houses) and we've got 60MB and some of us have trouble getting WiFi and the last time we had a Virgin engineer to sort our problem even he said that the SuperHub we have is on a maximum setting for the Wifi.Has anyone had this problem before and what thes best way of sorting it??Will Virgin help us or is it one they will avoid and we have to sort it on our own!!
TONYHAMILTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2012, 16:27   #2
Milambar
Inactive

Milambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Signal boosting??

The superhub has a weak wifi, despite Virgins claims otherwise. Also apparently the aerials point towards the rear, meaning the strongest signal is at the back of the superhub, so try rotating it to point the rear of it towards where you need the signal.

This may, or may not help, and it will also depend on the materials used to construct your home. Thick concrete walls will reduce the signal transmission, etc.

Henry will be along in a moment to tell you to put it in modem mode and use a proper router. Its certainly one thing you can try, if you don't mind running 2 devices, and buying an additional router.

Personally I would actually consider getting another router, but one that can be used as a repeater. That is, you place it somewhere where it can recieve the wifi signal, amplify it, and retransmit it.

Another solution worthy of consideration are homeplugs.
Milambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 16:42   #3
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

I would personally suggest a second AP, not working as a repeater but simply connected via Ethernet.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 16:52   #4
Milambar
Inactive

Milambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond repute

That is also an option, however I was taking the "old house" into consideration, and thinking they might not be allowed to drill walls to run the ethernet cable.
Milambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 17:05   #5
Fspiders
Inactive

Services: Premier
Fspiders is an unknown quantity at this point

I use a TP-Link TL-WA830RE in range extender mode. It works with the hub or with my belkin router.

I have it placed about 20 meters from the hub on a lower level at the back of the house and it works perfect giving me full 5 bar @ 300mbps to all of my wifi devices.

Without the extender my devices cannot connect to the hub at that side of my house.
Fspiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 17:07   #6
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

Invest in a couple of Homeplug 'starter kits'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007DVIB46/

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 00:42   #7
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the SH should be put into modem mode and you get yourself a decent router. RThe SH will never be wifi brilliant, none-the-least because it isn't dual-band wi-fi (it's switchable).

If you can do without Wi-Fi, then, as stated, Homeplugs are brilliant. But in any case, modem mode would give the SH less to do and keep it stable.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:38   #8
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

You might look here.
http://www.box.co.uk/Tp-Link_Tp-Link...G_1116638.html