Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The end is nigh

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

The end is nigh

Old 29-04-2012, 13:42   #31
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: The end is nigh

Oldham isn't getting FTTP, it has FTTC available and as of next year it'll have FTTP on demand available in common with other areas.

BT Retail can't cut special deals with residential customers to pull fibre instead of copper for various reasons.

If a new line is needed a new line is what the OP will get. Either way OP will be getting copper to their home in the first instance. This time next year the option may be there for FTTP on demand, whether this requires a copper loop to supply voice or is a full replacement isn't known.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-04-2012, 13:54   #32
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
..whether this requires a copper loop to supply voice or is a full replacement isn't known.
Off topic but a major puzzler for me - why didn't BT introduce some sort of VOIP service (or even analogue optical nodes) where they've done the FTTC work so that they could make all that bypassed copper redundant and cut maintenance costs or even rip it out for scrap.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 15:12   #33
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyRizzo View Post
In the short term, based on your estimates, you would get the best speeds from BT, but as we all know, BT sell of their network to the highest bidder, and then anyone else they can get money from. Virgin Media is a stand alone network, not selling off it's network to other sub ISPs like the long list that BT supports, so if you stay the course i'd bet money you'd end up in a better place with better speed.
I stayed the course and my 50mb connection dropped to 12mb while on BT my 40mb increased to 80. Every time I've been with VM in the last 6 years I've eventually ended up with a connection running at 1/4 it's quoted speed.

VM do sell their network to other companies, just not residential ISPs.

In fact, 60 out of the last 74 months, or my entire adult life, I have got or have been able to get better speeds on BT.

---------- Post added at 14:12 ---------- Previous post was at 14:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcoach View Post
Overall I am about 1 1/4 miles from the exchange but only about 30 metres from the cabinets. The map also says that the Oldham exchange is FTTP ready.
Infinity does look better priced though.
If you're that distance from the cab I'd expect 200mbps on vectored VDSL2 30a, i.e. without fibre.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 15:43   #34
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
Off topic but a major puzzler for me - why didn't BT introduce some sort of VOIP service (or even analogue optical nodes) where they've done the FTTC work so that they could make all that bypassed copper redundant and cut maintenance costs or even rip it out for scrap.
Regulatory reasons, they've only recently been permitted to supply voice over FTTP with a battery backup of 1 hour in locations where they previously have had copper.

They're also still obliged to supply a full copper loop to anyone who wants one within reason, removing copper ties homes to FTTC/P which Ofcom do not yet permit.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 20:56   #35
slowcoach
Inactive

Services: VM Phone 152 Meg.
slowcoach has reached the bronze age
slowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyRizzo View Post
I'm not supprised if the guy who came round looked fed, if he works for McNicolas on behalf of Virgin Media, they have some very big pay issues, and managers that just crack the whip, if you were working 12 hour days and getting between £220 and £270 for the plesure you'd be a bit fed up.

With the added factor that the paper work is, 50% of the time, wrong. Added with working tuesday to saturday working 2 6 day weeks in a month and just you try booking holidays with them, it's allways a BIG NO.

And if you are getting work done in the Bournemouth area, ask about the Team Manager, the grumpiest so and so you have ever met, with a just get it in and done attitude, with no regard for anything past his bonus, btw he got fired as an installer, then hired as a manager when McNicolas got the new contract.
I did assume he was a contractor because he wasn't wearing the red Virgin overalls although he was in a VM painted transit. When I have had an engineer wearing the red overalls they always seem to have all the time in the world.
slowcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 21:12   #36
GrizzlyRizzo
Inactive

GrizzlyRizzo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcoach View Post
I did assume he was a contractor because he wasn't wearing the red Virgin overalls although he was in a VM painted transit. When I have had an engineer wearing the red overalls they always seem to have all the time in the world.
It's true, the true VM engineers do have a slot more time to give, but to get there you have to run around like a blue arsed blue, its not the way it should be, so many times i've wanted to stay on, but your figures suffer and then you have no chance of getting to be a proper VM service tech. Its sad really.

[Mod Edit - off-topic info (already in it's own thread) removed]
GrizzlyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote