Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Considering going for a Tivo box! Help to answer questions pls

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Considering going for a Tivo box! Help to answer questions pls

Old 14-02-2012, 20:25   #46
New to cable
Permanently Banned

New to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutter
Re: Considering going for a Tivo box! Help to answer questions pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
TIVO is near on 500,000 customers I believe.

Yeah sorry I was only talking about new additions the overall number is around 450-500'000.
New to cable is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-02-2012, 20:27   #47
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
TIVO is near on 500,000 customers I believe.
Yes, that is correct MM Not bad in less than 1 year
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 20:30   #48
tridens

Services: Sky TV HD

Hi Virgin keep advertising FREE HD CHANNELS what free HD channels do you get on virgin on TV L all I can see is BBC1 ITV CH4 CH5 FILM4
Old 14-02-2012, 20:34   #49
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tridens View Post
Hi Virgin keep advertising FREE HD CHANNELS what free HD channels do you get on virgin on TV L all I can see is BBC1 ITV CH4 CH5 FILM4
You need to be on the XL pack to get the full HD package included (Excluding premium Sky HD)
Old 14-02-2012, 22:09   #50
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
But when! That is the $65,000 question. I believe that statement was a year ago and that number was predicted within two years. Well at the current rate it will take them in the region of 10 years.
My post was tongue in cheek.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 22:21   #51
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
My post was tongue in cheek.
I saw the M8. It still begs the question when are we going to see some action rather than words.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 22:23   #52
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
I saw the M8. It still begs the question when are we going to see some action rather than words.
In the coming months l suspect.
Old 14-02-2012, 22:56   #53
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentex View Post
Thank you very much for all the replies.

Using Sky Anytime I could record onto my DVD player with it. I don't know why you couldn't and with my old V+HD box I could too. I just couldn't record the TV Choice stuff like the boxsets.

Regarding the speed of channel changing and menu, even if it's not a quick as the latest SKy+ HD boxes. Am I going to get frustrated? Sky+ was lighting quick. A little less speed I can live with. Anything like the old V+HD scientic atlantic I cannot.

I'm told that my bill would be 35 pounds to have Broadband (L) phone (M) and TV with Tivo (M+ and Mutv). Where is the 3 pound or 5 pound Tivo charge I see you writing about? Will that be added so my bill is 38-41 pounds? I'm currently paying around 20 pounds a month for phone and broadband.

---------- Post added at 15:06 ---------- Previous post was at 14:15 ----------

I just called in and I was assured that the price of having a Tivo box will not go up from 3 pounds to 5 pounds.
I can't see any reason why you couldn't record onto DVD, unless they use some sort of encryption like sky do with their pay per view movies. You are probably best asking VM.

Tivo is far quicker than the old V+HD boxes at changing channels.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 01:47   #54
Bentex
Inactive

Services: Tivo (M+), BB (L), Phone (M)
Bentex is on a distinguished roadBentex is on a distinguished road

Thanks! I rang back VM and I was told I would be paying 3pounds and not 5 pounds for Tivo for the next 18months. New customers who make their deal after 28th Feb will be paying 5 pounds.

It's a bit of a pain, I must say. But the box will always be guaranteed working. Unlike your sky box. You may have to pay for an expensive repair or replacement. Plus there is no basic HD charge It's swings and roundabouts.

I've been a Sky fan for years. But being able to record 3 channels (plus me being able to watch another on my now freesat box) is too good for me to turn down. Plus the catch up service. I think VM are fighting back!
Bentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 02:33   #55
New to cable
Permanently Banned

New to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentex View Post
Thanks! I rang back VM and I was told I would be paying 3pounds and not 5 pounds for Tivo for the next 18months. New customers who make their deal after 28th Feb will be paying 5 pounds.

It's a bit of a pain, I must say. But the box will always be guaranteed working. Unlike your sky box. You may have to pay for an expensive repair or replacement. Plus there is no basic HD charge It's swings and roundabouts.

I've been a Sky fan for years. But being able to record 3 channels (plus me being able to watch another on my now freesat box) is too good for me to turn down. Plus the catch up service. I think VM are fighting back!
This thing about expensive sky repairs is nonsense. Let say a TiVo user and Sky+HD user both get boxes today.

Lets assume both get the current free fitting ect deal. So in the first 12 months the Sky box is covered free of charge by Sky, the TiVo box belongs to VM so thats also coverd.

In the first year the TiVo user has paid £36 in TiVo fee's the Sky user has not paid any fee's for his Sky box. So now lets "assume" the Sky box goes faulty in the second year an so does the TiVo.

VM will repair replace the TiVo free, Sky will charge £60 call out and repair replace DISH CABLING AND BOX if requested as that's a full service call. The new Sky box is now covered for another 12 months.

So over the next 12 months the TiVo user still pays £36 a year the Sky user pays zero. After 24 months both have had replaced boxes, the Sky user has paid a total of £60 the TiVo user has paid £72.

If the Sky box doesn't break the Sky user has paid £0 in 24 months, the TiVo user has paid £72 or £120 if on the £5 per month fee.
Old 15-02-2012, 05:58   #56
kop32
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q Silver, 2 x mini boxes,VM 150mb broadband and VM phone with anytime calls.
kop32 has reached the bronze age
kop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by New to cable View Post
This thing about expensive sky repairs is nonsense. Let say a TiVo user and Sky+HD user both get boxes today.

Lets assume both get the current free fitting ect deal. So in the first 12 months the Sky box is covered free of charge by Sky, the TiVo box belongs to VM so thats also coverd.

In the first year the TiVo user has paid £36 in TiVo fee's the Sky user has not paid any fee's for his Sky box. So now lets "assume" the Sky box goes faulty in the second year an so does the TiVo.

VM will repair replace the TiVo free, Sky will charge £60 call out and repair replace DISH CABLING AND BOX if requested as that's a full service call. The new Sky box is now covered for another 12 months.

So over the next 12 months the TiVo user still pays £36 a year the Sky user pays zero. After 24 months both have had replaced boxes, the Sky user has paid a total of £60 the TiVo user has paid £72.

If the Sky box doesn't break the Sky user has paid £0 in 24 months, the TiVo user has paid £72 or £120 if on the £5 per month fee.
I can't really argue with the above post,as I have had a Sky HD box for over two years now and have never had to have a repair done,there again I may of just been lucky!.
kop32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 12:54   #57
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Having had both Sky and Virgin, I can say that I have had more problems with VM than Sky. I am on my fifth VM box in 12 years. The only problem I had with Sky was heavy rain or snow, when the signal broke up. I never had a problem with the box I had for 6 years. My mother has had her Sky+ box nearly 5 years with no problems apart from the recent snow when she lost signal for a couple of hours.
I now have the VHD box which is by far and away the best VM box I have had . I am happy to stay with VM for now, because of BB, however, I do want to see more HD.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 13:08   #58
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by New to cable View Post

Fair point. Although Sky do try to talk you into a warranty after the first year. And if the box needs replacing, it costs over £200.

My Sky+ HD box needed replacing within the first year, but if it had been just outside that first year, then because I refused the warranty, it would have cost me a fortune.

Also with my package I saved around £70 per month changing my TV to SKY.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 13:14   #59
New to cable
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
Fair point. Although Sky do try to talk you into a warranty after the first year. And if the box needs replacing, it costs over £200.

My Sky+ HD box needed replacing within the first year, but if it had been just outside that first year, then because I refused the warranty, it would have cost me a fortune.

No one pays £200 for a box from Sky, Just like no one actually pays £49.99 installation and £49.99 activation on Virginmeida. Yeah the price's exist but no one pays them.

You ring Sky after 1 year to cancel due to a faulty box you would have a new box sent out for self installation same day for free if you re-sign or maybe £49.99 if you don't re-sign.(If you don't re-sign you get a refurb)
Old 15-02-2012, 13:16   #60
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post

Yes, my sister has to pay an extra £8 pm on top of her Sky tv package for insurance.