Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Considering going for a Tivo box! Help to answer questions pls

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Considering going for a Tivo box! Help to answer questions pls

Old 14-02-2012, 19:36   #31
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age
Re: Considering going for a Tivo box! Help to answer questions pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
But its outselling Sky's boxes massively thus confirming what many believe and that it is to be far superior to Sky's boxes
I doubt any of those statistics will prove anything over the long term as over the past year VM have had its current and new customer base to focus on. Once it is only fighting for new customers I doubt there would be much to write home about regarding Tivo outselling Sky+HD.
LexDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-02-2012, 19:44   #32
tridens

Services: Sky TV HD

Hi yes Tivo is better than sky box with all its bells and whistles all i use it for is watching TV and the pvr record function
I don't use the apps or all the other things it can offer so to me its not worth paying £5 pm just to have the record function when they start to charge all customers £5 later this year I'm of to sky
I'm not willing to pay the £5 just to record programs which you can get free with sky and yes i think sky made a big mistake to rip off Tivo all those years before they could have had the same platform
Old 14-02-2012, 19:49   #33
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexDiamond View Post
I doubt any of those statistics will prove anything over the long term as over the past year VM have had its current and new customer base to focus on. Once it is only fighting for new customers I doubt there would be much to write home about regarding Tivo outselling Sky+HD.
Agreed, eventually it will boil back down to the traditional differences between the two companies. Tivo is a very good box, but it's simply the box v+ should have been but never was. When I first came to cable the difference between sky+ hd and v+ hd was jarring. Tivo puts them on a much more even footing, and whilst I don't believe sky Atlantic makes up for the significantly better on demand and catch up offerings (ie. I don't buy the sky has better content argument) I have to agree with Muppetman that the abysmal app support means one of the reasons that it is a better box than Sky+ hasn't been realised. Yet.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 19:54   #34
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I rather suspect Den the majority are existing customers upgrading to TIVO , it is indeed a decent box and one many more would select if only the HD channel range was better.
l am sure the HD range will improve but remember Sky are with-holding 6 HD channels and also remember that the basic HD package is free on Virgins network but incurs a £10 charge on Skys platform and also remember that 55% of TiVo new adds were from Sky so there methinks tells you a different story.
Old 14-02-2012, 20:01   #35
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
also remember that 55% of TiVo new adds were from Sky so there methinks tells you a different story.
we're has this been stated ? and even if true doesn't indicate how many went the other way.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 20:08   #36
New to cable
Permanently Banned

New to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutter

Quote:
<snip> and also remember that 55% of TiVo new adds were from Sky so there methinks tells you a different story<snip>.

Well you have just completely discredited yourself, TiVo according to VM is now in 270'000(ish) homes. Now go look at Sky's yearly results and try and find the drop in customers amounting to 165'000 that have gone to TiVo.

If you're going to make things up at least put some back ground work in. VM haven't added 165'000 new TV customers and Sky haven't lost 165'000 tv customers.

Seriously that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read.
New to cable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 20:08   #37
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Virgin have a plan to grow to 80 hd channels
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 20:10   #38
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

Quote:
l am sure the HD range will improve but remember Sky are with-holding 6 HD channels and also remember that the basic HD package is free on Virgins network but incurs a £10 charge on Skys platform and also remember that 55% of TiVo new adds were from Sky so there methinks tells you a different story.
For a new customer, what will be the difference in price between a XL tv sub with Tivo and a Sky Entertainment Extra sub with HD pack?

I think the £10.25 HD fee is more or less irrelevant today. In the above example Sky offer more content and HD channels for not really much of a difference in price.
LexDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 20:11   #39
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
we're has this been stated ? and even if true doesn't indicate how many went the other way.
Well master here is a link and there is a PDF on it as well for you to perouse and l think you will find it a interesting read.

http://virgintivo.blogspot.com/view/...sults-for.html
Old 14-02-2012, 20:17   #40
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Well master here is a link and there is a PDF on it as well for you to perouse and l think you will find it a interesting read.

But my point is how many went the other way ?
Old 14-02-2012, 20:17   #41
New to cable
Permanently Banned

New to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutter

Quote:

Ahhhhh 55% of "NEW" adds not upsells...Now thats probably more like it,You were giving the impression it was 55% of 270'000 because Sky's results do not show a drop in customers especially not over 100'000

So now we just need to know how many TiVos were new business not upsells. With that figure we can take 55% an work out how many Sky users went to TiVo.
New to cable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 20:17   #42
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by New to cable View Post
Well you have just completely discredited yourself, TiVo according to VM is now in 270'000(ish) homes. Now go look at Sky's yearly results and try and find the drop in customers amounting to 165'000 that have gone to TiVo.

If you're going to make things up at least put some back ground work in. VM haven't added 165'000 new TV customers and Sky haven't lost 165'000 tv customers.

Seriously that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read.
l do enjoy looking at your posts as generally l cannot make heads or tails of them.
Old 14-02-2012, 20:19   #43
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by New to cable View Post
Ahhhhh 55% of "NEW" adds not upsells...Now thats probably more like it,You were giving the impression it was 55% of 270'000 because Sky's results do not show a drop in customers especially not over 100'000

So now we just need to know how many TiVos were new business not upsells. With that figure we can take 55% an work out how many Sky users went to TiVo.
TIVO is near on 500,000 customers I believe.
Old 14-02-2012, 20:21   #44
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
But my point is how many went the other way ?
Thats a question you need to answer MM.

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:20 ----------

Quote:
TIVO is near on 500,000 customers I believe.
Come the next quarter l suspect it will be 750,000.
Old 14-02-2012, 20:23   #45
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
Virgin have a plan to grow to 80 hd channels
But when! That is the $65,000 question. I believe that statement was a year ago and that number was predicted within two years. Well at the current rate it will take them in the region of 10 years.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote