Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Considering going for a Tivo box! Help to answer questions pls

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Considering going for a Tivo box! Help to answer questions pls

Old 14-02-2012, 16:44   #16
New to cable
Permanently Banned

New to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutter
Re: Considering going for a Tivo box! Help to answer questions pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
It does so much more and SKY hate it with a passion.
I don't think Sky are that worried about TiVo to be honest it is basically little more than a connected TV extender but without the good Apps.

A few software upgrades and increase UI speeds, get quality apps and it may become a better offering. But for a user like me who only really uses my STB for watching recording TV, I think for that..my Sky+HD box is better due to more content.

But also my point of view is also bassed on the fact I have "Apps" on my TV, BLUERAY, XBOX360, PS3. So the last thing I want is sky offering them and then saying.."Oh yeah there is a £5 a month increase to pay for them" As I just never use them, well apart from Netflix.

---------- Post added at 15:44 ---------- Previous post was at 15:42 ----------

Quote:
I don't think Sky are that worried about TiVo to be honest it is basically little more than a connected TV extender but without the good Apps.

A few software upgrades and increase UI speeds, get quality apps and it may become a better offering. But for a user like me who only really uses my STB for watching recording TV, I think for that..my Sky+HD box is better due to more content.

But also my point of view is based on the fact I have "Apps" on my TV, BLUERAY, XBOX360, PS3. So the last thing I want is sky offering them and then saying.."Oh yeah there is a £5 a month increase to pay for them" As I just never use them, well apart from Netflix.

---------- Post added at 15:44 ---------- Previous post was at 15:44 ----------

Quote:

But also my point of view is based on the fact I have "Apps" on my TV, BLUERAY, XBOX360, PS3. So the last thing I want is sky offering them and then saying.."Oh yeah there is a £5 a month increase to pay for them" As I just never use them, well apart from Netflix.
New to cable is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-02-2012, 17:06   #17
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by New to cable View Post

Are you for real SKY are pig sick that they never signed up all those years ago and realise that Tivo is now the class leader with regards Set Top Boxes in this country.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 17:59   #18
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyFTW View Post

You're setting the guy up for disappointment. Its quite a bit slower than a Sky+HD box.
Is it.

---------- Post added at 16:59 ---------- Previous post was at 16:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyFTW View Post
Ooh yeah it does do a lot more, but then you'll soon have to pay £5 a month for those features.
No £3 a month actually.
Old 14-02-2012, 18:00   #19
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Is it.
Yes considerably , but probably due to the fact it's dealing with graphics and other things in the background.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 18:03   #20
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Yes considerably , but probably due to the fact it's dealing with graphics and other things in the background.
There speaks a man with total unbiasedness.
Old 14-02-2012, 18:16   #21
Firmsky
cf.addict

Services: Ultimate ooomph
Firmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant future

Had my 2nd TiVo fitted today, guide etc is populating a lot faster than when I had the first one fitted last year.
Firmsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 18:26   #22
New to cable
Permanently Banned

New to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutter

Quote:
Are you for real SKY are pig sick that they never signed up all those years ago and realise that Tivo is now the class leader with regards Set Top Boxes in this country.

Why would Sky be pig sick? Do you really think it pulls a lot of customers?

I just canceled my last Virginmedia service 50Mb BB and they offered me a TiVo free install and activation plus a get deal on price fitted within 2 days. But it just wouldn't make me drop Sky-TV.

I take your word for it that Sky are pig sick though, I guess you must have heard some insider info.
Old 14-02-2012, 18:30   #23
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:

I just canceled my last Virginmedia service 50Mb BB and they offered me a TiVo free install and activation plus a get deal on price fitted within 2 days. But it just wouldn't make me drop Sky-TV.

I take your word for it that Sky are pig sick though, I guess you must have heard some insider info.
And you've heard the opposite obviously?
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 18:33   #24
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:

It is the most popular box in the UK at present and as above customers are ordering more than one because it does more than any SKY box, SKY had the chance years ago but failed to take up the option with Tivo, Epic Fail on Rupert's part.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 18:35   #25
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
It is the most popular box in the UK at present and as above customers are ordering more than one because it does more than any SKY box, they had the option years ago but failed to take up the option with Tivo, Epic Fail on Rupert's part.
l will second that and many more are starting to realise that as well.
Old 14-02-2012, 18:40   #26
New to cable
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
And you've heard the opposite obviously?
Nope I haven't heard anything at all.
Old 14-02-2012, 19:13   #27
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

Quote:
l will second that and many more are starting to realise that as well.
Will it really significantly affect Sky though? It is not a like for like is service as whatever Sky offer is paid for in the basic sub. The question isn't really if Tivo is better (as it is) but really is it the £5 sub better that people will soon be charged?
LexDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 19:22   #28
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexDiamond View Post
Will it really significantly affect Sky though?
Not a chance , I would gladly take TIVO it if offered a content range as good as Sky unfortunately it doesn't and it's app range one of its possible selling points is poor in my opinion.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 19:27   #29
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Not a chance , I would gladly take TIVO it if offered a content range as good as Sky unfortunately it doesn't and it's app range one of its possible selling points is poor in my opinion.
But its outselling Sky's boxes massively thus confirming what many believe and that it is to be far superior to Sky's boxes
Old 14-02-2012, 19:34   #30
New to cable
Permanently Banned

Quote:
But its outselling Sky's boxes massively thus confirming what many believe and that it is to be far superior to Sky's boxes
Its not new customers though that's the kicker, its existing V+HD,VHD customers swapping out for a TiVo.

Its like saying the 5 Million+ Sky+HD boxes sold were new customers, most werent. Just like the 270'000 TiVos out there are not all new subscribers. If Sky released a new box tomorrow it would out sell Tivo.

TiVo needs to new sales not up sales.