Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cable Problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Shocking virgin media installation

Old 15-11-2007, 18:28   #1
The_0ne
Inactive

The_0ne is an unknown quantity at this point
Shocking virgin media installation

On friday the neighbours had virgin come and install some services into their property.

When it was being done the technician was having trouble getting a signal so asked if he could temporarily connect to our box while he set it up and would then remove it straight after.

So we said ok.

However he connected them up and then buggered off.

Today i contacted virgin to complain asking for compensation as well as the wire removing immediately to which i am told THEY ARE ALLOWED TO DO and therefore cant remove it because we only "rent" the box off them.

Thats fair enough but we didnt give permission for the cable to remain there run across the path to the fence and then run over our fence to the next door neighbours house.

Ive told them they have until friday to remove it which they say they wont do anyway otherwise i will cut the wire myself.

I am then told i could be liable for criminal damage.

Virgin are absolute monkeys and the installation techs are pure cowboys had no bother when it was telewest.

Have been offered no compensation by the customer services manager as there is no damage to the property.

A letter WILL be on its way to offcom along with the pictures.

Virgin will also be getting a disconnection request off myself tomorrow aswell.

The_0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-11-2007, 19:00   #2
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
Re: Shocking virgin media installation

Hi The_One to the forum

We do have contacts within VM who help resolve problems for us when CS fails. If you PM me your account details and a contact number, i'll forward them on for you.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 19:13   #3
The_0ne
Inactive

Thanks for the offer but i will be cancelling with virgin not only have they done this shocking installation but since virgin took over my internet speed has dramatically reduced.

Fair enough its "up to" 20meg but i rarely see over 7mb at peak times im not paying £37 a month for 7mb when i can go to bethere and get upto 24mb for £18 a month with better customer service
Old 15-11-2007, 19:16   #4
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

No worries. Hope you'll stick around anyways.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 23:18   #5
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

The_0ne

That is definately NOT an appropriate installation, and there is an escalations and install complaint process in place to deal with situations like that. It would be sent to the installation area manager for where you live to rectify, and they would be able to look at the issue of compensation. They would obviously investigate as to why the tech left it like that and take appropriate action.

The Customer Care staff have to follow this process so they themselves cannot order a tech to remove anything, or to offer compensation, where no incorrect charging has taken place.

Even in circumstances where damage has occured that would be resolved at area manager level as again, customer care cannot authorise a credit for that based on a phone call
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 08:00   #6
hairy_mick
Inactive

hairy_mick has a spectacular aura about themhairy_mick has a spectacular aura about themhairy_mick has a spectacular aura about themhairy_mick has a spectacular aura about them

its whats called a temp fix a cable will be pulled for next door and the cable will be removed from your box.
hairy_mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 17:38   #7
Jonnymeg
Inactive

Jonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of Quads

Your neighbours cable was obviously damaged preventing the tech installing their kit correctly.
Connecting to your cable is called a 'Temp Fix'. This would be done just to get them on that day. Because of the work required it is not possible to pull a new drop cable on the same day and it will have been booked in to replace it over the comings days.
Ask your neighbour when it is being done, they should have been told.....if not they can call VM to get the date.

Cutting or removing the cable will only be spiteful to your neighbour and will not make VM attend any quicker.

Compensation? What for? You have not lost any service, suffered any damage or really be put upon.

I will agree with you on the routing of the cable though, it is shoddy and if it was a permanent fixture i would be very upset and take swift action with the scissors. But as it is only going to be a few days i would take satisfaction from the fact i am helping my fellow man.
Jonnymeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 17:47   #8
The_0ne
Inactive

The cable is there illegally did they get permission off us to leave the cable there.....

No they didnt

End of
Old 16-11-2007, 17:56   #9
Jonnymeg
Inactive

Jonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_0ne View Post
The cable is there illegally did they get permission off us to leave the cable there.....

No they didnt

End of

Not really illegal is it?

Your upset.....but remember 'what goes around comes around' one day you may need a favour from your neighbour.

Don't be so petty.
Jonnymeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 18:01   #10
Foo Fighter
cf.addict

Foo Fighter will become famous soon enoughFoo Fighter will become famous soon enoughFoo Fighter will become famous soon enough

If its only a temp fix whats the problem its a wire on your wall for a few weeks you must have something more important to worry about?

get to the pub and unwind mate
Foo Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 18:29   #11
The_0ne
Inactive

If you need anything doing get a virgin engineer to do it

they do as they like
Old 16-11-2007, 18:57   #12
piggy
Inactive

piggy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_0ne View Post
If you need anything doing get a virgin engineer to do it

they do as they like
its only a temp fix if you dont like it take the cable out the install tech was just doing as instructed and in your previous post you said he did ask but at the end of the day its your property if you dont like it remove the cable!!! im sure your nieghbour wont mind.
piggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 21:44   #13
RS100
Inactive

Services: SLOW Virgin 20mb BB, Virgin telephone, V+HD, Sky HD,
RS100 is a glorious beacon of lightRS100 is a glorious beacon of lightRS100 is a glorious beacon of lightRS100 is a glorious beacon of lightRS100 is a glorious beacon of lightRS100 is a glorious beacon of lightRS100 is a glorious beacon of light

Guys the cable is there is illegal and by law the owner of the house can remove it asap, Myself i would give VM a letter in the post and also give next door a letter giving them 1 month to remove it or it will be removed at their cost,

In court VM would not have a leg to stand on in the same way if the installer asked you could he leave his van on your drive for 5 min and then he never removed you could then remove it yourself and bill them for it,
RS100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 22:22   #14
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

This does all seem to be getting a bit out of hand, talking about court action and words like illegal!

It was not a proper install, and VM will sort it out if you give them a chance!

from the terms:

M Visiting your home

2. We agree to cause as little disturbance as reasonably possible when carrying out any work at your home. We agree to repair, to your reasonable satisfaction, any damage that we, our agents or contractors may cause at your home.

but at the same time it does say

3. You agree not to do anything, or allow anything to be done, at your home that may cause damage to or interfere with the equipment or prevent use or easy access to it.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 23:32   #15
Help!!!
Inactive

Help!!! is a glorious beacon of lightHelp!!! is a glorious beacon of lightHelp!!! is a glorious beacon of lightHelp!!! is a glorious beacon of lightHelp!!! is a glorious beacon of lightHelp!!! is a glorious beacon of lightHelp!!! is a glorious beacon of light

LOL this is so petty, its a temp fix and all you have to do is ask next door when Virgin techs are coming round to complete the job. Its winter its not exactly like you are going to have people round for a BBQ, come on!!
Help!!! is offline   Reply With Quote