Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | mysterious calls

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

mysterious calls

Old 31-08-2010, 21:59   #1
Granby
Inactive

Granby is an unknown quantity at this point
mysterious calls

Been getting quite a few mysterious calls lately, when i dial 1471 the number i get is 00000000000 (can't remember exactly how many but it's all zero's), anyone know about this at all

Cheers
Ian
Granby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-08-2010, 22:05   #2
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age
Re: mysterious calls

This is quite weird, but i cant help you with this.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 22:05   #3
Sasha222
Inactive

Sasha222 has a nice shiny starSasha222 has a nice shiny star
Sasha222 has a nice shiny star

Would you not phone the company and see if they have a no registered that is phoning you or is that possible
Sasha222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 22:24   #4
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

I've had this before...ive answered once and its supposedly a company trying to settle my debts. usually an asian/offshore accent. i suspect its a scam as they dont even know who lives at our house...they just ask for names of random people
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 22:50   #5
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

You're not alone:

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/00000000000/6
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 23:05   #6
Granby
Inactive

Granby is an unknown quantity at this point

OK cheers for that
Granby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 23:09   #7
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

It's companies, usually marketing spoofing the caller ID in an attempt to get around people with anon caller reject

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:50   #8
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I wonder if those are the ones on my caller ID that say "out of area"?
Some calls from those VOIP providers like BT who use weird area codes come up as that too
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:44   #9
Begize
Inactive

Services: XL TV (TiVo 1TB & V HD), XL Broadband (Superhub 2 in modem mode), L Telephone
Begize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id View Post
It's companies, usually marketing spoofing the caller ID in an attempt to get around people with anon caller reject
Yeah, I think most are foreign too.

We're on TPS and we get a few. The most common one is a recorded message about how I've won a cruise and to press 3 (I think) if I want to claim it. When you dial 1471 it comes back as a load of zero's.

I had another where it was an Indian guy who said he worked for Sky ringing because their was a fault with our box. He asked if I could just confirm my name, address and account number. I strung him along for a while before breaking it to him gently that I don't have Sky and he just hung up. I suspect it was one of the fake Sky warranty / repair scams that have been around for a while.
Begize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:34   #10
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonRoad View Post
that site is quite funny. one of the comments says it was a lady from Microsoft saying her PC is sending out virus. haha.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 13:03   #11
Waldo Pepper
Inactive

Waldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I wonder if those are the ones on my caller ID that say "out of area"?
I used to get this on BT when my friend in the US phoned. With VM it displays the intl number
Waldo Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 21:00   #12
fudge
Inactive

fudge is on a distinguished roadfudge is on a distinguished road

Iv had similar but the number given is 049
fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 00:46   #13
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Also had a silent call from 049 recently. My parents also had a silent call from a number beginning 06 a day or so ago. The US are now passing laws making the use of spoofed numbers illegal. The sooner we follow suit the better
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 22:50   #14
ic2
Inactive

Services: VIP 50
ic2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ic2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Also had a silent call from 049 recently. My parents also had a silent call from a number beginning 06 a day or so ago.
we got one of these about 2 years ago as fed up with these types of calls as they originate outside the UK and not covered by TPS. Never had any issues since http://www.truecall.co.uk/ not cheap i will admit but for peace and quiet, well worth it.
ic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 16:46   #15
Begize
Inactive

Services: XL TV (TiVo 1TB & V HD), XL Broadband (Superhub 2 in modem mode), L Telephone
Begize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic2 View Post
we got one of these about 2 years ago as fed up with these types of calls as they originate outside the UK and not covered by TPS. Never had any issues since http://www.truecall.co.uk/ not cheap i will admit but for peace and quiet, well worth it.
Ah yes, I was talking about this the other day, I remember the guy being on Dragons Den trying to get them to invest. They were all a bit sceptical till he mentioned he'd sold his previous company for £5 million.

There's a similar device called Call Blocker which is about half the price - http://www.callblocker.co.uk/
Begize is offline   Reply With Quote