Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 30-06-2017, 17:45   #7126
Richc1977
cf.addict

Services: V6, Full House, 200MB BB, Netflix UHD, Sky Go
Richc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to behold
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Great news about BBC but as a Cricket Fan who refuses to subscribe to SKY Sports I can't hide the fact how disappointed I am to see BT come away with nothing. I thought they would have at least picked up the new T20 rights.

My bias aside, I still think it's short sighted of the ECB as surely the reason they have had such a windfall this time around is due to BT's interest. With them effectively out of the picture until 2025 they could well decide to drop their strategy for covering cricket and focus investments on other sports meaning SKY potentially pick up the next ECB rights for considerably less.

As to BT and their cricket strategy what do they do now? I'm sure Aussy cricket is not enough to sustain then, so do they call it a day after those rights expire? ICC rights are tied up until 2024 so their not much left. Really it's just the IPL and various overseas international rights as they come up.
Richc1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-06-2017, 18:23   #7127
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Yep all that talk by the usual sagacious and knowledgeable suspects on here about BT Sport came to nothing really..
Old 30-06-2017, 18:45   #7128
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richc1977 View Post
Great news about BBC but as a Cricket Fan who refuses to subscribe to SKY Sports I can't hide the fact how disappointed I am to see BT come away with nothing. I thought they would have at least picked up the new T20 rights.

My bias aside, I still think it's short sighted of the ECB as surely the reason they have had such a windfall this time around is due to BT's interest. With them effectively out of the picture until 2025 they could well decide to drop their strategy for covering cricket and focus investments on other sports meaning SKY potentially pick up the next ECB rights for considerably less.

As to BT and their cricket strategy what do they do now? I'm sure Aussy cricket is not enough to sustain then, so do they call it a day after those rights expire? ICC rights are tied up until 2024 so their not much left. Really it's just the IPL and various overseas international rights as they come up.
A lot will happen by 2024, and I suspect very much that other big players will be muscelling in on the sports scene in the UK by then. Think Netflix, Amazon, Disney, Discovery.....
OLD BOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 18:46   #7129
Richc1977
cf.addict

Richc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
A lot will happen by 2024, and I suspect very much that other big players will be muscelling in on the sports scene in the UK by then. Think Netflix, Amazon, Disney, Discovery.....
Fair point
Old 30-06-2017, 19:05   #7130
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
So no mention of Apple , Google , Facebook , Twitter , Fox , HBO/Time Warner , Liberty Global ?
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 19:15   #7131
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Big Ifs , big buts and big maybes but you know that anyway OB.
Old 30-06-2017, 20:03   #7132
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
So no mention of Apple , Google , Facebook , Twitter , Fox , HBO/Time Warner , Liberty Global ?
I'm not ruling any of them out, muppetman, which is why I added a series of dots to the end of that post!

---------- Post added at 20:03 ---------- Previous post was at 20:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Big Ifs , big buts and big maybes but you know that anyway OB.
You never get absolute certainty when looking to the future, Den. The only thing you can be sure of without a doubt is that time brings change.
Old 30-06-2017, 20:06   #7133
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Great news about BBC but as a Cricket Fan who refuses to subscribe to SKY Sports

Is that because you're tight?..............
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 20:08   #7134
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
I'm not ruling any of them out, muppetman, which is why I added a series of dots to the end of that post!

---------- Post added at 20:03 ---------- Previous post was at 20:01 ----------

You never get absolute certainty when looking to the future, Den. The only thing you can be sure of without a doubt is that time brings change.
Yes time certainly brings change in more ways then one.
Old 30-06-2017, 21:07   #7135
Richc1977
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Is that because you're tight?..............
Oh if it was only that simple

No, as my profile picture suggests I'm very much anti Murdoch, even hate the thought that part of my Virgin Media XL sub goes to Sky. Tightness does not come into it at all, I'd pay if could get the content legally elsewhere, I do for NFL.

Last edited by Richc1977; 30-06-2017 at 22:55.
Old 01-07-2017, 00:16   #7136
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richc1977 View Post
Oh if it was only that simple

No, as my profile picture suggests I'm very much anti Murdoch, even hate the thought that part of my Virgin Media XL sub goes to Sky. Tightness does not come into it at all, I'd pay if could get the content legally elsewhere, I do for NFL.
To be honest, if you looked into the head of most companies, you would probably have issues with them!

Take my advice, just purchase what you need and don't get sucked into the politics.

The alternative is a Communist society, and then you would have no choice at all.

Apart from whether or not to join the bread queue.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:28   #7137
Richc1977
cf.addict

Quote:
To be honest, if you looked into the head of most companies, you would probably have issues with them!

Take my advice, just purchase what you need and don't get sucked into the politics.

The alternative is a Communist society, and then you would have no choice at all.

Apart from whether or not to join the bread queue.
I say to you what I said to Mr Hoover, I am not or have ever been a member of the communist party

In a free market I'm free to listen to my conscious and choose whether or not I buy from Murdoch.

True that you can pick holes with many companies/organisations but in my opinion there are some that are far more corrupt and unethical than others and once certain lines are crossed I usually try my best to boycott them.

Last edited by Richc1977; 01-07-2017 at 12:02.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:10   #7138
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Sky Sports lose rugby Champions Cup rights.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/sky-s...ons-cup-128962
Old 05-07-2017, 10:35   #7139
Richc1977
cf.addict

Details of the EFL tender in The Times today, I got this from a post on Digital Spy

Quote:

"The EFL will allow the number of league games broadcast live to almost treble, from 112 to 324 matches a season in 2019-20. Up to 228 of the 552 Championship matches would be live, compared with 92 at present.

The rights will be split into separate packages, The Times has learnt, with a weekend package, including the play-offs, of a minimum of 114 and a maximum of 228 live games, and a midweek package of up to 96 matches. There will be a third package for the Carabao Cup — the new name for the EFL Cup — with all those matches available to be shown live. Interested broadcasters will be asked to stipulate how many matches they intend to show.

The EFL will also allow broadcasters to screen matches simultaneously, as happens now with BT Sport and the Champions League, so viewers can choose which live game to watch."

This is a game changer IMO
Old 05-07-2017, 11:22   #7140
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Game changer as in if your a fan of an EFL team it's highly likely you'll need two sports subs going forward.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote