Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Discovery channel

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Discovery channel

Old 20-08-2017, 21:25   #16
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice
Re: Discovery channel

As OLD BOY says, you can get the Discovery channels for £4:99 a month if you are an Amazon customer.
You can also get the main Discovery channel in the Now TV entertainment pack which amongst others will give you Sky Atlantic too.
Both options are probably cheaper than staying on a VM TV package.

---------- Post added at 20:25 ---------- Previous post was at 19:29 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Kodi! (use a VPN).
I'm curious, this is not the first time I've seen you post Kodi as a solution to someone's TV needs.
Can you read the code in a Kodi addon (its not hard)?
Do you realise the dangers in many unofficial Kodi addons?

To blithely tell people to use Kodi, especially the IT uninitiated does them a disservice and puts their accounts and home network in danger.

Kodi is not sandboxed and even using a VPN will not protect your home network or accounts from malicious code inserted into addons.
The wild west that the unofficial Kodi addons world has become may just mean that your IP is just being reported to the addon author, or it may just be that Google analytics are being used to gain the site the addon came from more traffic but these are the least of the evils being circulated within some Kodi addons.

As a 15 year user of XBMP/XBMC/Kodi I enjoyed the free "extras" while they lasted and were being given to the community by fellow hobbyists for free, but these days I wouldn't dream of recommending any Kodi addon not from the official repo even to my worst enemy until I'd seen that the code contained within it was safe!
buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-08-2017, 23:50   #17
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
As OLD BOY says, you can get the Discovery channels for £4:99 a month if you are an Amazon customer.
You can also get the main Discovery channel in the Now TV entertainment pack which amongst others will give you Sky Atlantic too.

I'm curious, this is not the first time I've seen you post Kodi as a solution to someone's TV needs.

To blithely tell people to use Kodi, especially the IT uninitiated does them a disservice and puts their accounts and home network in danger.

Kodi is not sandboxed and even using a VPN will not protect your home network or accounts from malicious code inserted into addons.
The wild west that the unofficial Kodi addons world has become may just mean that your IP is just being reported to the addon author, or it may just be that Google analytics are being used to gain the site the addon came from more traffic but these are the least of the evils being circulated within some Kodi addons.

As a 15 year user of XBMP/XBMC/Kodi I enjoyed the free "extras" while they lasted and were being given to the community by fellow hobbyists for free, but these days I wouldn't dream of recommending any Kodi addon not from the official repo even to my worst enemy until I'd seen that the code contained within it was safe!
As a kodi user myself i completely agree with this i was bad for telling people to use kodi now i suggest but with a warning.
I'm lucky as i can read the codes off addons and the ones i use i've known the developers for a long time.
I strongly urge anyone thinking of using third party addons to think first make sure that addon has good reps and the developers also have good rep, this still can't be a safety net though as recently a very popular developer with superb rep decided to play havoc with someones build out of spite.
So yes use kodi but think first.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 08:59   #18
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
As a kodi user myself i completely agree with this i was bad for telling people to use kodi now i suggest but with a warning.
I'm lucky as i can read the codes off addons and the ones i use i've known the developers for a long time.
I strongly urge anyone thinking of using third party addons to think first make sure that addon has good reps and the developers also have good rep, this still can't be a safety net though as recently a very popular developer with superb rep decided to play havoc with someones build out of spite.
I ruled out getting a Kodi box some time ago. Unless you go for the pirated stuff or access shows that are not meant for a UK audience, there's nothing worth having on there.

And as you say, addons can be dangerous, no matter how popular.

---------- Post added at 07:59 ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 ----------

Quote:

Australia seems to have the right idea for educating people.

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...racy-campaign/

Last edited by OLD BOY; 21-08-2017 at 09:21.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 18:15   #19
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

Quote:
I'd actually go further and say do not install any Kodi 3rd party repo and to turn off updates on all 3rd party addons.
Too many times over the past few years I've seen "trusted" repos and addons suddenly play havoc with peoples installs,
even the great Lambda had a brain fade and turned his most popular addon into a botnet.
There are one or two addon devs I've known from years back that I'd trust implicitly in their work but unfortunately they don't seem to be very active these days.

I notice the person I called out on this bad advice hasn't replied (again) lol

---------- Post added at 17:15 ---------- Previous post was at 16:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I ruled out getting a Kodi box some time ago. Unless you go for the pirated stuff or access shows that are not meant for a UK audience, there's nothing worth having on there.

And as you say, addons can be dangerous, no matter how popular.
That's not quite true, I use several Kodi addons for legit services that provide a better viewing experience than their official counterparts.

Unfortunately as they are provided and maintained by hobbyists doing this in their spare time there are periods of downtime when the content providers change their website and/or apps that the Kodi addon is scraping.

My favourites are BBC Iplayerwww, which is unfortunately right now going through a downtime/bugs period as the BBC have changed their website and the addon author is otherwise engaged during this holiday time, but the Kodi addon is by far my favourite way to view Iplayer content during the 99% of the year it works.

Likewise Eurosport Player, this is head and shoulders above Eurosports new website and app versions, unfortunately due to the changes Eurosport have made you'll need to install a beta version of Kodi at this current time to get the addon working again.

There is also NFL Gamepass that I use and once again the Kodi addon is light years ahead of the NFL's new website and not in any downtime if you live within Europe as we do

I could go on with one or two more but I wont bore you more than I have
Old 22-08-2017, 18:49   #20
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I'd actually go further and say do not install any Kodi 3rd party repo and to turn off updates on all 3rd party addons.
Too many times over the past few years I've seen "trusted" repos and addons suddenly play havoc with peoples installs,
even the great Lambda had a brain fade and turned his most popular addon into a botnet.
There are one or two addon devs I've known from years back that I'd trust implicitly in their work but unfortunately they don't seem to be very active these days.

I notice the person I called out on this bad advice hasn't replied (again) lol

---------- Post added at 17:15 ---------- Previous post was at 16:58 ----------

That's not quite true, I use several Kodi addons for legit services that provide a better viewing experience than their official counterparts.

Unfortunately as they are provided and maintained by hobbyists doing this in their spare time there are periods of downtime when the content providers change their website and/or apps that the Kodi addon is scraping.

My favourites are BBC Iplayerwww, which is unfortunately right now going through a downtime/bugs period as the BBC have changed their website and the addon author is otherwise engaged during this holiday time, but the Kodi addon is by far my favourite way to view Iplayer content during the 99% of the year it works.

Likewise Eurosport Player, this is head and shoulders above Eurosports new website and app versions, unfortunately due to the changes Eurosport have made you'll need to install a beta version of Kodi at this current time to get the addon working again.

There is also NFL Gamepass that I use and once again the Kodi addon is light years ahead of the NFL's new website and not in any downtime if you live within Europe as we do

I could go on with one or two more but I wont bore you more than I have
I'm lucky enough to know someone in the US who let's me use their US tv in exchange for a login on my netflix which is more than fair.
Using my vpn i've found myself using kodi less and less for tv these days my pc is now perm connected to my tv and is used as a media system with the various US tv apps and sites i get 90% of tv shows, movie wise i've found Netflix to be more than enough plus i recently discovered my local cinema does a unlimited pass for £15p/m which i've subbed too so get to see all the big releases reletavily cheap.
Sportwise the ROKU comes into play the big 3 for football fox, nbc and ESPN apps work perfectly on my vpn router set up. Only thing i use kodi for is old tv shows and streaming my personal media across devices but more and more networks are adding back catalogues.
Old 22-08-2017, 20:52   #21
buckeye
cf.addict

Quote:
I'm lucky enough to know someone in the US who let's me use their US tv in exchange for a login on my netflix which is more than fair.
Using my vpn i've found myself using kodi less and less for tv these days my pc is now perm connected to my tv and is used as a media system with the various US tv apps and sites i get 90% of tv shows, movie wise i've found Netflix to be more than enough plus i recently discovered my local cinema does a unlimited pass for £15p/m which i've subbed too so get to see all the big releases reletavily cheap.
Sportwise the ROKU comes into play the big 3 for football fox, nbc and ESPN apps work perfectly on my vpn router set up. Only thing i use kodi for is old tv shows and streaming my personal media across devices but more and more networks are adding back catalogues.
I'm the same, I have a great friend in the US who gives me the login for their TV services, they've never asked for anything in exchange however I have given them the login to one of my VPN's as they have become paranoid about using the internet since Trump's election lol.

I tend to use my Apple TV 4 solely as my US TV gateway via a virtual VPN router set up on my PC.
This setup works great apart from one service you mention, I have real trouble getting Fox Sports to work on the ATV or my various PC's on either of the VPN's I use.
I need to invest some time in the next week and a half trying to figure something out as my sporting second love The Ohio State Buckeye's football team are now going to have some games shown on Fox, including their opening game next Friday.

I still do use Kodi extensively though, its my go to for the addons I've already mentioned, the podcasts I listen to and my very large music and video local library
Old 23-08-2017, 00:04   #22
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
I'm the same, I have a great friend in the US who gives me the login for their TV services, they've never asked for anything in exchange however I have given them the login to one of my VPN's as they have become paranoid about using the internet since Trump's election lol.

I tend to use my Apple TV 4 solely as my US TV gateway via a virtual VPN router set up on my PC.
This setup works great apart from one service you mention, I have real trouble getting Fox Sports to work on the ATV or my various PC's on either of the VPN's I use.
I need to invest some time in the next week and a half trying to figure something out as my sporting second love The Ohio State Buckeye's football team are now going to have some games shown on Fox, including their opening game next Friday.

I still do use Kodi extensively though, its my go to for the addons I've already mentioned, the podcasts I listen to and my very large music and video local library
Foxsport works more on ROKU for me and via chrome on pc with vpn set to seattle if that helps?
I';ve inboxed you too with the vpn i use.