Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 2.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 2.
Closed Thread

Old 28-06-2012, 00:16   #1411
Emel
Inactive

Services: Tivo, Vplus, TVXL, Sky Sports, Broadband, Phone and Mobile
Emel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1 View Post
Polls on this and other such forums? Those responding would be a self selecting sample and not representative of the customer base as a whole.

I personally don't know anyone who uses/ used reminders on V+
Reminders were great on a busy sporting saturday. I could chill and watch less important sports safe in the knowledge that when the live stuff I really wanted to watch was due the Vplus box would change channel. Why would anyone want to record live sport to watch later?

When you are in that is!
Advertisement
Old 28-06-2012, 00:23   #1412
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emel View Post
Reminders were great on a busy sporting saturday. I could chill and watch less important sports safe in the knowledge that when the live stuff I really wanted to watch was due the Vplus box would change channel. Why would anyone want to record live sport to watch later?

When you are in that is!
That's what many of us do .... as long as they schedule live sporting events to coincide with putting children to bed

It has the added bonus of being able to fast forward through the half time ***** when trying to catch up
Old 28-06-2012, 00:59   #1413
Emel
Inactive

Services: Tivo, Vplus, TVXL, Sky Sports, Broadband, Phone and Mobile
Emel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonRoad View Post
That's what many of us do .... as long as they schedule live sporting events to coincide with putting children to bed

It has the added bonus of being able to fast forward through the half time ***** when trying to catch up
Must admit I do the same for most non sports programmes. Saves time not watching the ads. If I did that with sports though I would never know if it was safe to read a text!
Old 28-06-2012, 01:20   #1414
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984 View Post
Which is why Tivo would be a boost, being able to record 3 things and watch a fourth at the same time.
Exactly. And yet people still want reminders

---------- Post added at 00:20 ---------- Previous post was at 00:17 ----------

Quote:
No-one has said "record live sport to watch later"; ever. Just record everything and then, when you're done watching whatever it is, or when the sporting event starts recording (you'll see the red light come on) you start watching that. It's not difficult and does not require any additional programming.

---------- Post added at 00:20 ---------- Previous post was at 00:20 ----------

Quote:
Must admit I do the same for most non sports programmes. Saves time not watching the ads.
And that's exactly what I have done for the last ten years
Old 28-06-2012, 01:35   #1415
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

I always record programmes that have adverts in, as it saves a lot of time missing the adverts. Although I do try to watch HD stuff live, or as soon after recording as I can as I find the HD stuff takes up a lot of room.

I recorded a 1 hour HD programme last week, and it took up 3 normal hours of recording space.
Old 28-06-2012, 10:49   #1416
tycho
Inactive

tycho is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984 View Post
Which would work if I had a recording slot free, but normally the only time I use a reminder is when I have 2 things recording at the same time. Which is why Tivo would be a boost, being able to record 3 things and watch a fourth at the same time.
But you can't record 3 things and watch a 4th though - if you are recording 3 things you have to watch one of the things being recorded - there are only 3 tuners in the box.

Unless of course you are referring to recording 3 VM channels and wathing a fourth through freeview / sky etc

---------- Post added at 09:49 ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
That one actually did require a technical fix.
Ok, my bad - apologies for the missunderstanding, I made an assumption that as the licencing was stopping you from showing the Sky PIP and that the other PIP worked fine it was just switched on during the update. If there was also a fix required I now stand corrected

Quote:
As Ben says, the MRS software is ready to go and has been since last year. Enabling it isn't tied to a new software update.
This was tied into my missundestanding of the above - I'm aware the MRS is ready to go as soon as VM decide to turn it on. As I thought the Sky PIP was delayed untill the update after the licenceing was resolved (unaware a fix was also needed), I just thought VM might be doing the same with MRS.

Quote:
But how do you separate those who know what they are doing from those who only think they do?
I'm absolutly no technical or networking expert, however I dont think in this case its about those who 'only think' they know what their doing. As it stands at the moment, some people are in a position to simply plug each Tivo into their Hub as they have either Cat5/6 available (or are prepared to use Homeplugs) - and some arn't. If VM are working on a solution for those who arn't that's great, but I dont see why this should be a cause to keep it disabled for those who can.

Not trying to start an arguement - clearly VM are the ones who decide, it's just frustrating for such great functionality to be disabled as VM dont think we are capable of using it... (Of course - we have no idea yet if the licencing is resolved, and I completly understand that it will be dissabled at least until this - don't suppose you can shed any light on this at all can you Spiderplant? )

Anyway - thanks for the info - clearly I was wrong in some of my previous assumptions.

Cheers
T
Old 28-06-2012, 10:54   #1417
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycho View Post
If VM are working on a solution for those who arn't that's great, but I dont see why this should be a cause to keep it disabled for those who can.
Because even those who can will still phone Virgin if it doesn't work properly.

And then it also means that some customers have a better TiVo service than others - which is hardly fair
Old 28-06-2012, 11:00   #1418
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
But you can't record 3 things and watch a 4th though - if you are recording 3 things you have to watch one of the things being recorded - there are only 3 tuners in the box.
I assume that's what the OP meant
Old 28-06-2012, 11:31   #1419
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Of course - we have no idea yet if the licencing is resolved, and I completly understand that it will be dissabled at least until this - don't suppose you can shed any light on this at all can you Spiderplant?
Sorry, I only deal with technical stuff.
Old 28-06-2012, 11:46   #1420
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
A self-selecting group of less than a couple of hundred people does not mean that it is wanted by the majority of customers.

---------- Post added at 19:09 ---------- Previous post was at 19:09 ----------

Nice!

---------- Post added at 19:11 ---------- Previous post was at 19:09 ----------

Which is what Tivo has done from the very beginning.

---------- Post added at 19:12 ---------- Previous post was at 19:11 ----------

If all tuners are in use (excluding suggestions) then it would have to stop recording something which kinda defeats the purpose
So, are you saying that if it processes a reminder, it will switch to the channel and record the programme and stop recording something else to enable it to do this if necessary?
Old 28-06-2012, 11:49   #1421
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
If all tuners are in use (excluding suggestions) then it would have to stop recording something which kinda defeats the purpose
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
So, are you saying that if it processes a reminder, it will switch to the channel and record the programme and stop recording something else to enable it to do this if necessary?
Yes - if all tuners are in use.

Even if it didn't record the reminder, it would still have to stop recording something else.

Remember the V+HD had/s a dedicated live tuner, so reminders were independent of whatever was set to record

TiVo has 3 recording tuners, so if they are all in use, then it has to stop one of them to change to another channel. By reminding on a set recording, it avoids a clash.
Old 28-06-2012, 12:56   #1422
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Yes - if all tuners are in use.

Even if it didn't record the reminder, it would still have to stop recording something else.

Remember the V+HD had/s a dedicated live tuner, so reminders were independent of whatever was set to record

TiVo has 3 recording tuners, so if they are all in use, then it has to stop one of them to change to another channel. By reminding on a set recording, it avoids a clash.
OK bottom line is this. If the worst comes to the worst. I use the reminder so I could switch the TV to freeview.
At the moment on the rare occasions when it is a problem ie for some reason 3 record ( over lap is the main cause but would hate to miss start/ finish so will not remove) We use the Video sender from the V+ to main TV. However when the reminder comes the idea is simply to switch to Freeview. Hence DO NOT want the TiVo to think for me Or ( never happen yet but who knows) record 5 at the same time & watch number 6 !!!
Can`t control V+ via remote so might as well have freeview running ( with a delay to skip ads etc) instead of using V+ or reverse of cause.
The problem of so many people at home all wanting different shows but the same sofa
Old 28-06-2012, 12:57   #1423
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Due to Sky Movies rebranded Sky Movies Showcase as Sky Movies Summer on July 1st (Sunday) - Vol. 3 of the Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) series now online @ http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11...l#post35447475

This thread will close soon.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Closed Thread