Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | All change for Sky Sports channels & packages?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

All change for Sky Sports channels & packages?

Old 11-07-2017, 11:52   #76
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: All change for Sky Sports channels & packages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
don't think that will happen Den think be another deal as it suits both parties having it on VM in XL pack
The world is changing Dave in all aspects so one must say never say never.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:45   #77
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
don't think that will happen Den think be another deal as it suits both parties having it on VM in XL pack
Don't count on that bud.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 13:02   #78
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Don't count on that bud.
Good grief we don't often agree.
Old 11-07-2017, 13:12   #79
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Depending on ones package it is around £30 and Sky Sports in HD is an extra £7.
That's were if VM don't adopt the same pricing structure for Sky Sports as the Sky Platform you could see significant differences.

A cricket only fan would have to pay £30 for SD on VM as opposed to £18 on Sky or

HD £37 on VM as opposed to £23 on Sky

Obviously base packs need to be factored in so in some circumstances VM could still work out cheaper on the lower packs.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 13:14   #80
Bananaman_007
Inactive

Bananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Serious question: Who controls how Sky Sports is packaged on Virgin? Can they do what they like or is it actually up to Sky?
Sky do as part of the carriage agreement. For example vm cant do anything that undercuts thee sky wholesale price.

VM would be unable to bundle this in the full house package for example.

However renegotiating will have to happen with VM as the current rules only apply to sky sports 1 and 2. Going forward these channels will not exist

Last edited by Bananaman_007; 11-07-2017 at 13:20.
Bananaman_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 13:24   #81
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
Through VM I get BT Sport and Sky Sport though I'm only really interested in the football (just a passing interest in Test cricket). I pay a lot for this and have explored the alternative of Sky Sports Day Passes on Now TV, but it doesn't really save me a great deal and I'd lose BT Sport and its coverage of the Champions League, which I do watch. I'd also miss out on La Liga and those Premiership games that don't involve my team but are of interest, and Monday Night Football is always worth watching for the Neville/Carragher analysis.
Even if the new selective pricing does come to VM it's more a marketing exercise than a saving opportunity for me, and I think that will be true for many.
Same. My main thing is rugby, BT have the lions share (and from next season, all) the club games but Sky have the internationals & SANZAR.

There's a couple of other sports that I'll watch if they're on, but wouldn't pay extra for.

Looks like I'd need to have Action & Arena to get these, and then I'd only save a fiver a month overall. And that's before any bundle discounts.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 13:28   #82
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

What i dont get is what they'll do to fill the channels? A channel dedicated to rugby and a channel to cricket?

Does this mean we'll get more county cricket or more rugby games? I havent heard of any new contracts so im guessing like the f1 channel itll just become channels of old highlights...
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 13:33   #83
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Good grief we don't often agree.
Haha i think big changes are coming tbh i don't think bt sport will be in xl but i do think vm and bt may come to an agreement where BT sport is offered at a discounted rate to xl customers.
Apart from money VM really have nothing to offer in return had they still had their channels aka living then they could of been used possibly as a bargaining chip.
Old 11-07-2017, 13:47   #84
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Haha i think big changes are coming tbh i don't think bt sport will be in xl but i do think vm and bt may come to an agreement where BT sport is offered at a discounted rate to xl customers.
Apart from money VM really have nothing to offer in return had they still had their channels aka living then they could of been used possibly as a bargaining chip.
Well lets see what the wind blows in as it might be from a nice direction perhaps.
Old 11-07-2017, 14:01   #85
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
I don't agree: Virgin Media has audience, something BT Sport is still desperate to attract to justify the inflated prices it has been paying for sport rights. I'd suggest viewing numbers are more important to BT than adding second-tier channels to their own TV offering.
If BT Sport lost its VM viewers it would really, really struggle to justify to shareholders its expenditure on Rights.
nialli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 14:14   #86
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Apart from money..
Have you ever tried going shopping with a basket full of produce from your garden instead of money? I bet it doesn't go down too well in Tesco. It's all about money.

Quote:
VM really have nothing to offer in return had they still had their channels aka living then they could of been used possibly as a bargaining chip.
I'll invite you once more to remind us what delights Living brought us when VM did own it...
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 14:21   #87
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
What i dont get is what they'll do to fill the channels? A channel dedicated to rugby and a channel to cricket?

Does this mean we'll get more county cricket or more rugby games? I havent heard of any new contracts so im guessing like the f1 channel itll just become channels of old highlights...
Maybe they will just do what Sky does best and temporarily re-brand a channel when its regular content is thin on the ground.
Old 11-07-2017, 14:26   #88
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Have you ever tried going shopping with a basket full of produce from your garden instead of money? I bet it doesn't go down too well in Tesco. It's all about money.

I'll invite you once more to remind us what delights Living brought us when VM did own it...
Well vm treated the channel far better than SKY have imo.
As for your Tesco comment, grow up. You know full well what i meant.

---------- Post added at 13:26 ---------- Previous post was at 13:23 ----------

Quote:
Well lets see what the wind blows in as it might be from a nice direction perhaps.
Absolutely agree sir.
Old 11-07-2017, 14:40   #89
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
As for your Tesco comment, grow up. You know full well what i meant.
I was trying to illiustrate with an example from everyday life. Just like everything else in modern business, content gets paid for, not bartered.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 14:45   #90
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post

If you invest in high quality content then the scenario could have been very much different.