Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ringing faults from a mobile.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Wise to use Virgin Phone without any BT phone backup?

Old 25-01-2011, 17:58   #1
resander
Inactive

Services: BB:100Mb TV:XL+SkySports&ESPN Phone:M
resander is an unknown quantity at this point
Wise to use Virgin Phone without any BT phone backup?

I have had BT phone service for years, and it has worked without a single glitch.

I could have asked for the BT phone to be moved to Virgin about four years ago when I subscribed to a TV-broadband-phone bundle, but I did not. I opted for the minimal Virgin phone plan (a Virgin bundle requirement) and kept BT with Unlimited-Anytime calling etc features. That meant we had two landline phones in the house and were not using the Virgin phone at all.

Virgin also provides an Unlimited-Anytime phone feature and I could subscribe to this now and cancel the BT phone altogether (saving £22 per month), but would that be wise? I don't know anything about Virgin's phone performance.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Ken
resander is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-01-2011, 18:29   #2
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Wise to use Virgin Phone without any BT phone backup?

I have not had a BT line to my property since 1994 and have had a Virginmedia phone line for all of that time when it was originally called Cable Northwest with no real issues at all.

I have been a customer a lot longer than I have been an employee and I would not go back to BT ever.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 19:08   #3
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Been on virgin only phone since 07, zero issues, hard to tell youre not on BT, I think some stuff is different, call waiting, that kind of stuff.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 19:12   #4
FairyFairy
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Tv V+/Broadband/Phone
FairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of light

Not had a problem since we changed over to phone / broadband / tv package
FairyFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 20:06   #5
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

It suits me and I do not have a BT line connected to my house any more which is nice.
Old 25-01-2011, 20:15   #6
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

Been NTL/Virgin phone customer for 10+ years. Do not recall any problems.
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 20:16   #7
bonzoe
cf.mega poster

bonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud of

I can echo all the above, dropped BT when I moved to Diamond cable (as it was). No regrets, but glad I didn't give BT my new number.
bonzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 20:53   #8
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Have a Virgin line, use another Telco though... far cheaper.
Taf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 22:24   #9
Theodoric
Inactive

Theodoric has reached the bronze age
Theodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze age

I've had it for well over 10 years. VM, ntl & C&W. In general it's been OK but I've had 2 unpleasant experiences.

One was a few years ago with ntl when I needed the external telephone cable repaired. What followed was 4 weeks of sheer hell. The only words to describe all of ntl customer services and some of the engineers were appalling and incompetent. It was only when I went nuclear and demanded to be put through to the department that dealt with leaving ntl (and by this stage I was serious about this) was the problem addressed seriously. Perhaps things have improved with VM, but I hope never to have to find out the hard way.

The other is the long-running saga of lack of caller display. Phoning customer services to ask about it always has 3 stages. The first is where they say yes, we'll do it. The second stage is when you tell them that you know that it is not currently available. They then go away to check (which they should have done at the beginning) and come back to confirm what you knew already. The third stage is when you ask them when it will be available. Their lack of knowledge about anything at all is truly astonishing. Considering that a certain amount of information has been made available on this forum, the fact that even this limited information has not been given to VM's customer services says something, and nothing very nice at that, about VM's customer services.
Theodoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 23:16   #10
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

Same situation, minimum VM line & BT, the BT line has survived power outages at times the VM line didn't, but the older BT line has had other faults.

Why not have a simply 8p mobile on VM for backup.

PS. Baffled how can Taf have a VM line & use another Telco??? Voip?
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 23:22   #11
bw41101
cf.geek

Services: Broadband XL TV XL Phone - A device with buttons that makes a funny noise when it rings!
bw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appeal
bw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appeal

I've been a VM customer for many years and never had a problem with the land line. There is still a BT line physically attached to my house but it is (most certainly) not active.

In fact if the BT line were a fuse, I'd put a match to it and take great delight watching the explosion at the other end - which (I guess) portrays my opinion of this company!

Hope this clarifies.

Cheers and Si thee
bw41101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 23:37   #12
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth View Post
Same situation, minimum VM line & BT, the BT line has survived power outages at times the VM line didn't, but the older BT line has had other faults.

Why not have a simply 8p mobile on VM for backup.

PS. Baffled how can Taf have a VM line & use another Telco??? Voip?
You can pay the line rental but route your calls through the likes of this company http://www.call1899.co.uk/index2.php
Old 27-01-2011, 09:12   #13
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

From Comtel right through NTL & now Virgin (and before) have never had a BT line and can remember at most 3 faults that ere not of my making. Both sorted very promptly. One before I moved towns 10 years ago and the second over 7 years ago.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 10:36   #14
roger skillin
Inactive

Services: V+ XL,Broadband XXL, Phone with talk unlimited and extra TIVO box
roger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quads

What a strange post, i've had a cambridge cable/ntl/virgin phone since 1994 and have not had one problem with it, in fact i had more problems with BT, we have a BT line and broadband at work and i think i've had to phone BT because of problems at least 7 times in the last 12 months, why you would think Virgins phone service would be worse than BT is beyond me
roger skillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 11:23   #15
Peter_
Permanently Banned

I do not recall ever having a phone line fault for the whole time I have been a cable customer then again I had no fault with BT prior to getting cable.

I will not go back to BT as I do not want an overhead line coming to my property either.