Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2010) Vol. III

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2010) Vol. III
Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 17:45   #31
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2010) Vol. III

Quote:
Originally Posted by joff81 View Post
anybody not think that VM have just been screwed over by BBC WW ???

seems a bit strange that a day after VM announced it wanted to sell its stake in UK TV (owned by BBC WW) SKY get a deal to launch Good Food HD and EDEN HD !!!

it just stinks of "screw you, we will annoy both you and your customers and announcing a deal with SKY to carry channels you have been trying to get since July 2009 now you want to sell up you stake in us".
No i dont think that they have been screwed over, as the BBC and SKY have never got on and also with the new goverment are pro murdoch and anti competition it does seem strange? Before anybody says that i am trying to turn this in to a polictical debate I AM NOT
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2010, 18:02   #32
virginruinedntl
Inactive

virginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
Give them chance they only launched it today!
I'll give virgin a week to air comedy central in 16:9 :P

Wish 4:3 would just leave already, its not the 90's anymore :P
Old 09-08-2010, 18:05   #33
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginruinedntl View Post

Widescreen didn't really take off in the US until HD, so most programming pre-HD is 4:3
Old 09-08-2010, 18:17   #34
joff81
Inactive

Services: V+ Xl TV package phone L package Broadband L package
joff81 is a name known to alljoff81 is a name known to alljoff81 is a name known to alljoff81 is a name known to alljoff81 is a name known to alljoff81 is a name known to alljoff81 is a name known to alljoff81 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
No i dont think that they have been screwed over, as the BBC and SKY have never got on and also with the new goverment are pro murdoch and anti competition it does seem strange? Before anybody says that i am trying to turn this in to a polictical debate I AM NOT
how can you not say it was a reflex response to VM publicly wanting to cut its ties with UKTV and sell up.

its a simple case of well you are leaving but this is what you are going to miss out on !!!!

why else would the HD announcement come 24 hours after VM publicy state they wish to sell !!!

Good Food HD and Eden HD are HD channels that VM should of been able to carry with no issues at all as they have a 50% stake in them but VM cant even get that right.
Old 09-08-2010, 18:19   #35
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadge View Post
What is a worry it says on ds both channels will be exclusive too sky vm haven't even sold there stake yet talk about even partners.
Maybe Virgin are still in talks with BBC Worldwide over UKTV new HD Channels plus Eden +1 and YeSTERDAY +1 to launch on Virgin TV for all we know.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 09-08-2010, 18:23   #36
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginruinedntl View Post

It is nothing to do with Virgin they can only broadcast what CC airs and so far the SD channel is still 4:3. Eurosport, SCI FI and FX all come to mnd as channels that took time to convert their SD channels to widescreen after launching HD channels.
Old 09-08-2010, 18:25   #37
joff81
Inactive

joff81 is a name known to alljoff81 is a name known to alljoff81 is a name known to alljoff81 is a name known to alljoff81 is a name known to alljoff81 is a name known to alljoff81 is a name known to alljoff81 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Maybe Virgin are still in talks with BBC Worldwide over UKTV new HD Channels plus Eden +1 and YeSTERDAY +1 to launch on Virgin TV for all we know.
what talks is there to have they own a 50% stake in them !!!

there is no way VM should need to be in talks and decussions to carry channels they have a 50% stake in. it should be an instant no brainer launch.

but no even thats to hard, instead a SKY who have no stake in the compay get a launch date before VM who own half stake.

how do VM hope to compete if they cant even get the HD channels then currenty invest in before SKY that dont !!!

its like VM getting MGM HD before it launched on SKY.
Old 09-08-2010, 19:41   #38
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by joff81 View Post
how can you not say it was a reflex response to VM publicly wanting to cut its ties with UKTV and sell up.

its a simple case of well you are leaving but this is what you are going to miss out on !!!!

why else would the HD announcement come 24 hours after VM publicy state they wish to sell !!!

Good Food HD and Eden HD are HD channels that VM should of been able to carry with no issues at all as they have a 50% stake in them but VM cant even get that right.
I thought that i read that i read that it was rumoured to be sold and not stated in stone, also the BBC has the uperhand in what they say about the channels as they were the first ones to set up the channels ( before VM even got involved in them )
Old 09-08-2010, 19:46   #39
joff81
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
I thought that i read that i read that it was rumoured to be sold and not stated in stone, also the BBC has the uperhand in what they say about the channels as they were the first ones to set up the channels ( before VM even got involved in them )
makes no sense to have an investment in channels you have no say in which you carry or not. it makes even less sense if you cant get the channels you have investment in. at worse this should of been a same day launch but no VM dont even look like getting them. it seems madness to allow SKY to get the jump on channels VM invest in. i cant ever see SKY allowing it to happen the other way round and as such it shows how weak a company VM actually are.
Old 09-08-2010, 21:59   #40
zantarous

zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

I think you maybe jumping the gun a bit just because VM have not announced it does not mean that it is not coming to cable. Seeing as they do own 50% of the company it is a no brainer for them.

The sale of UKTV is immaterial as they have let it be known that they wanted to off load this since last year but concentrated on their own channels first. I would wait and see first.
Old 09-08-2010, 23:15   #41
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Dnt read to much into the article i wonder what bigred has to say onit probally that they will be coming possible on launmch date and maybe even another uktv one that sky aint got or will get later, i aint going ot say much more but stop being so negetive everyone
Old 09-08-2010, 23:46   #42
joff81
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
I think you maybe jumping the gun a bit just because VM have not announced it does not mean that it is not coming to cable. Seeing as they do own 50% of the company it is a no brainer for them.

The sale of UKTV is immaterial as they have let it be known that they wanted to off load this since last year but concentrated on their own channels first. I would wait and see first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
Dnt read to much into the article i wonder what bigred has to say onit probally that they will be coming possible on launmch date and maybe even another uktv one that sky aint got or will get later, i aint going ot say much more but stop being so negetive everyone
yea maybe i am getting ahead of myself afterall VM did add Five HD with no notice at all. it may well all turn out to be good but it still stings a little to see all these HD channels added to Sky and not a hint from VM.
Old 09-08-2010, 23:49   #43
zantarous

I would have thought that Dave would have been a better choice for HD as it is filled with general entertainment stuff and the HD library would grow over time?
Old 09-08-2010, 23:50   #44
Kingofthedead4
Inactive

Services: XXL customer with movies and sport +HD And now TiVo.
Kingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of society

I think we have to be careful what we wish for, we dont want virgin media going hell for leather for HD channels that have little or no actual HD content, look at 5hd, there is virtually no native HD programmes on there, even the films are only upscaled hd. I dont mind waiting for HD channels until they are broadcasting at least 40 percent of the programmes in Native HD.
Old 09-08-2010, 23:51   #45
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
I would have thought that Dave would have been a better choice for HD as it is filled with general entertainment stuff and the HD library would grow over time?
I think people would prefer high definition celery rather than repeats of Top Gear
Closed Thread