Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | High Definition on Virgin Media: FAQ

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

High Definition on Virgin Media: FAQ

Old 22-06-2008, 16:07   #61
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: High Definition on Virgin Media: FAQ

Any TV with the EICTA "HD Ready" logo (as that one has got) should be fine.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2008, 21:10   #62
ptmacey
Inactive

ptmacey is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevett10 View Post
Hi All sorry to jump in the convosation like this but.....

I have V+ (all the bits included, sports etc). and was just wanted to know the best connection that people are using to there TV

I myself am using HDMI to DVI and outputting 1080 but 720 seems a tad better?

any reason for that ?

I have a Philips 37PF5520D 37 Inch HD tv with limited inputs and requires sooo much convertors its Madness check the link if your intrested!?

http://www.musthaveit.com/products/d...igital-tv/492/

Any views on this would be great!

Also i spoke to a Virgin Sales Rep... and they are "HOPING" to be getting HD Skysports and other sky services this September/October!

(but i have been told so much cra* before!)
The tv set you mention above is only 768 vertcal resolution so cannot properly display a 1080p picture,it might display 1080i (interlaced)to compensate for the screens low resolution in which case part of the picture frames are shown followed quickly by the rest to complete the picture,this can make the picture seem slightly blury particularly with fast action such as sports,most hd tv broadcast transmit in 720p so as your set is native 720p this gives the gives the best pic quality in your scenario,in an opposite case scenario my tv 1080p recieving a 720p signal has to artificially increase 720 to 1080 lines vertical resolution this also causes picture artefacts,Sky have said they will not even consider increasing broadcast resolution to 1080p until after 2012
ptmacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 21:12   #63
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

to the forums

Informative first post...
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 21:32   #64
hokkers999
cf.addict

hokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmacey View Post
The tv set you mention above is only 768 vertcal resolution so cannot properly display a 1080p picture,it might display 1080i (interlaced)to compensate for the screens low resolution in which case part of the picture frames are shown followed quickly by the rest to complete the picture,this can make the picture seem slightly blury particularly with fast action such as sports,most hd tv broadcast transmit in 720p so as your set is native 720p this gives the gives the best pic quality in your scenario,in an opposite case scenario my tv 1080p recieving a 720p signal has to artificially increase 720 to 1080 lines vertical resolution this also causes picture artefacts,Sky have said they will not even consider increasing broadcast resolution to 1080p until after 2012
So save your money and buy an HD telly in four years time. Don't forget though that there is an "optimal" viewing distance for HD. There is also a distance beyond which the eye is incapable of telling the difference.

Not going to restart that particular debate but do a google for "hd viewing distance" and make your own mind up.

Oh yes, sorry, too late you've already wasted your hard earned haven't you!
hokkers999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 22:27   #65
ptmacey
Inactive

ptmacey is an unknown quantity at this point

i agree with you totally,was just tryin to point out pros and cons,and that as hd tv is broadcast in 720 and will be for some time.a native 720 tv is probly best for hdtv viewing,even if i download hd films i will often go for the 720 as opposed to 1o8o as it saves hard disk space and download time,and the difference is only noticeable less than 3xscreen size in distance,even then you would have to really stare at the pic to notice difference between 720 and 1080,(sorry for going off thread)also the guy asked as to why his pic quality seemed better set to 720 which was what i was tryin to answer,thanks,
ptmacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 01:07   #66
Harrisp
Inactive

Harrisp is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I have a DVI input into my TV but when using this input the sound is via a small jack plug.
I understand I need an HDMI to DVI cable to get HD pictures where should I get the audio output from?
Is the L and R audio output still active when I use HDMI?
Can I connect this to a normal audio input to my TV designed for PC sound (small Jack Plug like eare phone socket)?

Paul
Harrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 09:25   #67
iamron
Inactive

iamron is an unknown quantity at this point

just joined.. hi all....
wish I had read all this earlier.... my mate has "paid" sky for his HD service which was "limited"... and over the phone the wonderful so called sales staff at virgin media said I'd have ALL the BBC channels...
what a lying toad !.. one bleedin' channel from auntie beeb.. which doesn't carry all the normal shows !!!!! not very impressed..... and this also prompted me to give in to her 'indoors to get a bleedin' big telly with 1080 too !... could have thought of other uses for all the dosh right before christmas....
going for a cuppa now.... rant over... thanks for your ears....
great forum by the way... hope to spend lots of time on here !.. ( well I will now...)
iamron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 09:28   #68
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

The phono outputs are still active when HDMI is in use. You need a cable like this:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=31700
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 20:35   #69
Harrisp
Inactive

Harrisp is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks,

Looks like I am going to town tomorrow for a phono cable and an HDMI to DVI Cable.
Does anyb ody know if the HTMI output is better qualaty than the Composit output?
Harrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 02:02   #70
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

Composite mixes the signals into an analogue signal. Component is analogue RGB / YUV, and the best of the analogue connections. HDMI is miles better than Composite TBH.
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 15:51   #71
Superfly Jon
Inactive

Superfly Jon is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey Machine View Post
HDMI is miles better than Composite TBH.
Although it sounds likely, in a real life setup one isn't necessarily better than the other:

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messa...79/122868.html

Jon
Superfly Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 13:11   #72
Ibanez49
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Tv XL, Broadband L Phone L
Ibanez49 is an unknown quantity at this point

yh, composite is analouge, 480p poss more not 1080p

HDMI 1080p - 1080p MAX RESULUTION

need i say more
Ibanez49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 14:55   #73
Superfly Jon
Inactive

Superfly Jon is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez49 View Post
yh, composite is analouge, 480p poss more not 1080p

HDMI 1080p - 1080p MAX RESULUTION

need i say more
You're not technically correct, 1080p over component is possible (although not supported by most tvs), anyway v+ only supports 1080i.

If you read the article you will see that there can be lots of conversions going on, so there is no "native" digital signal finding it's way to the tv with hdmi (the virgin channels are compressed for example).

Jon
Superfly Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 22:38   #74
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

The original post by Turkey Machine, which you've both replied to, actually said...

"HDMI is miles better than Composite TBH."

... no mention of component.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2009, 13:06   #75
Botfield
Inactive

Botfield is an unknown quantity at this point

Not too fussed about HD as I only tend to watch BBC HD anyway. But I hope they do add extra HD channels.
Botfield is offline   Reply With Quote