Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | High Definition on Virgin Media: FAQ

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

High Definition on Virgin Media: FAQ

Old 25-04-2008, 18:34   #46
homealone

Re: High Definition on Virgin Media: FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ygododdin View Post
I don't know if this is the right place to get an answer. I have a v+ box which I've just connected to a new 23" Samsung HD ready via the HDMI. I've set the V+ to HDMI and it does the tests but resets itself to composite when it's finished. The only way I can see anything is through the co-ax. If I set the tv to use HDMI, I can't see the V+. What am I doing wrong?
from the FAQ here

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/10...855-v-faq.html

"Q: How do I set the V+ output to HDMI? I've tried but it keeps going back to SCART.
A: There's a knack to this. After you've selected HDMI output from the Settings menu, the box does a test to make sure you really can see HDMI. You need to press the 'Text' key on the remote during the test, otherwise it will revert to SCART output after a few seconds. This is to try to stop you accidentally putting the box in HDMI mode when you haven't got an HDMI telly - but see below if you still manage!"
Advertisement
Old 25-04-2008, 20:47   #47
ygododdin
Inactive

ygododdin is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. That worked brilliantly. Why isn't it mentioned in the user guide I wonder?
ygododdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 21:50   #48
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ygododdin View Post
Thanks. That worked brilliantly. Why isn't it mentioned in the user guide I wonder?
np, thanks for the feedback - in response to your question I guess they assume the installer will sort this out for you - mine did, once I gave him my own hdmi lead, as he didn't have one
Old 25-04-2008, 22:44   #49
higgsfield
Inactive

higgsfield has a spectacular aura about themhiggsfield has a spectacular aura about themhiggsfield has a spectacular aura about themhiggsfield has a spectacular aura about them

ditto!
higgsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 15:20   #50
hardtarget
Inactive

hardtarget is an unknown quantity at this point

when was this faq last pdated?
hardtarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 15:27   #51
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtarget View Post
when was this faq last pdated?
Quote:

Last edited by spiderplant : 14-04-2008 at 15:41. Reason: things
Old 16-05-2008, 15:31   #52
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

I try to keep all the TV Articles up to date. Let me know if anything is wrong or missing.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 09:18   #53
ShadowTD
Inactive

Services: 200Mb & SH2ac
ShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond repute

I'll do an update this weekend. The sections talking about ITV HD etc are a bit out of date, as is the costs section.
ShadowTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 20:04   #54
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

FAQ updated courtesy of ShadowTD
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 20:40   #55
higgsfield
Inactive

higgsfield has a spectacular aura about themhiggsfield has a spectacular aura about themhiggsfield has a spectacular aura about themhiggsfield has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
FAQ updated courtesy of ShadowTD
There is an error/omission:-

B.3) 5.1 Audio

V+ feature an optical audio output. When connected to a compatible amplifier and the HDMI Audio Override option is turned on, the system is 5.1 enabled. Some BBC HD content and all FilmFlex HD movies are in 5.1. A good way to test is the BBC HD 'barker' reel which broadcasts during the day - this is always in 5.1.

5.1 audio is also available via HDMI (you also need to specify HDMI override "on").
Old 17-06-2008, 20:45   #56
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Ah, OK. So the same setting enables 5.1 sound out of both the optical & HDMI outputs at the same time?
Old 17-06-2008, 21:06   #57
higgsfield
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Ah, OK. So the same setting enables 5.1 sound out of both the optical & HDMI outputs at the same time?
Well, I can't vouch for the optical output personally, but the HDMI output works fine if you remember the "HDMI override" switch.
Old 18-06-2008, 09:46   #58
ShadowTD
Inactive

Services: 200Mb & SH2ac
ShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for that Higgsfield - I've PM'd Matt with a slightly edited version. I keep wanting to upgrade to one of the new whizzy HD audio amps, but I keep getting cold feet.
ShadowTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 20:26   #59
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Updated again
Old 22-06-2008, 13:47   #60
smallclone
cf.geek

Services: M tv Broadband 150Mb/s. Superhub 3 V6
smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, is there any way someone can tell me if the following television will be compatibile with V+ HDTV specifications?

http://www.laskys.com/tv_and_dvd/lcd...#specification

thanks in advance.
smallclone is offline   Reply With Quote