Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Bics

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Bics

Old 09-09-2008, 08:04   #1
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Question Bics

This morning, I noticed that one of my stbs was tuned to channel 53. Turned the tv on and the channel name was BICS (I cannot remember the exact number). It seemed to be just a normal channel. Flicking through and there were others, like living tv.

Does anyone know what these channels are?
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2008, 04:06   #2
frogstamper
Inactive

Services: VIP
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze
Re: Bics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
This morning, I noticed that one of my stbs was tuned to channel 53. Turned the tv on and the channel name was BICS (I cannot remember the exact number). It seemed to be just a normal channel. Flicking through and there were others, like living tv.

Does anyone know what these channels are?
I noticed that as well, at about three in the morning I noticed I had another thirty channels after the Virgin info channel on 999.
They were under the names Bics 01-30, but the best bit was that channel 29 was carrying Sky Sports 2 unencrypted, some live baseball. Unfortunately they were all gone this morning, and as of 3.00am this morning they haven't returned.

One thing I would like to ask is...how come VM claim they are reaching their maximum amount of channels, yet last night they managed to carry another thirty channels?
frogstamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:34   #3
dev
Inactive

dev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond repute

i suppose it comes down to other areas, they want all areas to have the same channels, the area you're in could well have 1000 channels but the rest can't so you aren't allowed 1000 channels

as for those BICS channels, maybe it was an error? testing perhaps?
dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:14   #4
Horace
©Beam Software

Services: BB (200mbit), 1x V6, iPad, iPhone
Horace has disabled reputation

They're now on channels 51 > still unencrypted since I can clear SS1/2 and the movie channels which I don't subscribe to.

Edit : You have to access them, well I do, through the guide since 051 or 51 isn't accepted by the STB as direct input.
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 20:48   #5
madnutter0102
Inactive

madnutter0102 is an unknown quantity at this point

i had the same issue with the bics channels, sorted the next day though. im having problems with the epg 2day though (friday 12th sept). it works right up until next friday @ midday but then after that it just says loading.
madnutter0102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 09:40   #6
BBgamer
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL V+ HD Virgin Media Phone Virgin Media Broadband
BBgamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Just checked my Virgin TV, nothing to be seen...
BBgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 12:53   #7
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

BICS 1 - BICS 30 are still there but hidden, just showing the same streams as other channels, mostly Sky Movies & Disney channels

Not showing any new channels at the moment
toady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 15:41   #8
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Wonder if those streams are placeholders for the DOCSIS 3 50Mbit platform.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 15:54   #9
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

....could well be, which is why I said on the other thread don't assume the 30 streams are for 30 tv channels. But then, why would VM divide the frequencies into 30 streams if they weren't intended for the tv side of things?

If you look on DS for the analogue tv threads, there have been lots of analogue tv channels shut down recently and also lots of duplicates of tv channels being shown on analogue. Ie in Southampton there are 3 separate analogue channels showing Trouble. I think VM are more likely doing something with those channels (preparing these channels to be turned into 50mb frequencies), rather than these 30 streams.

I think from October onwards, some of these things are going to become clearer.
Old 24-09-2008, 16:24   #10
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by toady View Post
BICS 1 - BICS 30 are still there but hidden, just showing the same streams as other channels, mostly Sky Movies & Disney channels

Not showing any new channels at the moment
Can you (or anyone who can see them) pm me with an list of the channels that Virgin are testing on them.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 16:30   #11
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Won't let me enter in 53 or 053...
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 10:47   #12
cablestrider
Inactive

Services: Cable XL TV, 10MB broadband by Virgin Media cable, Mac & Safari powered Internet!
cablestrider will become famous soon enoughcablestrider will become famous soon enoughcablestrider will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to cablestrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky View Post
same here
cablestrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 12:49   #13
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablestrider View Post
same here
Someone told me last night that you can only see those channel markers on a dodgy box. Don't know if that's true or not.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 20:48   #14
kow
Inactive

Services: Virginmedia TV, phone, BB, Freeview
kow is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to kow Send a message via Yahoo to kow

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablestrider View Post
same here
As mentioned in post 4:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
You have to access them, well I do, through the guide since 051 or 51 isn't accepted by the STB as direct input.
kow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 21:29   #15
Horace
©Beam Software

Services: BB (200mbit), 1x V6, iPad, iPhone
Horace has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kow View Post
As mentioned in post 4:
As mentioned 2 weeks ago, they're now no longer accessible............and my neither of my boxes are dodgy and I resent that implication.
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote