Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How to transfer from laptop to android tablet?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

How to transfer from laptop to android tablet?

Old 13-09-2013, 19:31   #1
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
How to transfer from laptop to android tablet?

Yet another poser for all the brains on CF. I bought myself a http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BOT6N20/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 as an early birthday present. Question is how do I transfer photos/music from lappy to tablet. I thought all I had to do was buy a USB2 cable and that would be that. However my laptop does not recognise the tablet. Would I first have to upload the photos to Photobucket or such and then download to tablet? How do I get my laptop to recognise the tablet? I'm sure one/some of you has the answer.

Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-09-2013, 20:11   #2
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: How to transfer from laptop to android tablet?

Put them on a MicroSD and put that in the tablet.

Failing that there are apps that allow you to get you tablet to link directly with you PC (via wifi)
Old 13-09-2013, 20:43   #3
Tinky
To err is human

Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Many thanks for that Hom3r, I'm trying the sd card thingy first, but are you able to give a a link to the programs please?

---------- Post added at 19:43 ---------- Previous post was at 19:31 ----------

Just to let you know Hom3r the MiscroSD thingy worked yippee! Many thanks.
Old 13-09-2013, 21:00   #4
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

The photos are still just computer files. You wouldn't have to use something like Photobucket, just a file hosting system like Microsoft SkyDrive that comes with a free Hotmail email account.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 21:03   #5
blackthorn
cf.geek

blackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation era

I`ve got Es file explorer on my tablet and I can transfer anything with that from pc or laptop.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.pop&hl=en_GB
I`ve also got Astro file manager on it as well, it does more or less the same thing.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...astro&hl=en_GB
But the one I use the most for what you want is dropbox, install dropbox on laptop, install dropbox on tablet and drag and drop into it on lapptop and hey presto they are on your tablet.
blackthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 22:10   #6
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

Airdroid is the best app for connecting the laptop to the Tablet via wireless.
Old 14-09-2013, 00:38   #7
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
I`ve got Es file explorer on my tablet and I can transfer anything with that from pc or laptop.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.pop&hl=en_GB
ES File explorer is the best all round file manager in my opinion. You use it on your android to connect to shared folders on your laptop. Right click on a folder on your laptop and choose the sharing link to create the share.

It also has Dropbox and other cloud storage support, so that is another option to move files between them.

AirDroid has a nice looking web interface which is a good option for those who are less technical. It runs a web server on the phone that you connect to in the browser and has a lot of other tricks it can do beside moving files.

All these options will use your wireless network as the way of connecting the two devices.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 09:53   #8
Tinky
To err is human

Wow all the above gave me food for thought, and it's taken me the last hour to download Airdroid and ES, neither of which I can fathom out how to get the laptop to recognise the tablet and visa versa even with USB2 cable. Help!
Old 14-09-2013, 10:04   #9
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Airdroid.

Install it on your tablet, run it. (it's wireless you don't need to use a USB lead)

Laptop.

Open up your web browser to whatever page it says in the android Airdroid app

---

Move files from the laptop to the tablet using the web browser airdroid interface.

IF ALL ELSE FAILS.

Use google drive/dropbox etc and dump all your files there then get the same app in Android and access them that way (which will be really painful if you have a lot of files)
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 11:56   #10
Tinky
To err is human

Thank you for your help Techguyone, I've finally got the app to work. There are some on CF like myself that are not so clever at these things, and do require more info on how to do things, pictures and diagrams, for example, help lol! However I am very pleased with the results and I can now brag to my pal about the success as she is still trying to do similar tee hee!
Old 14-09-2013, 12:14   #11
techguyone
Deus Vult

techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age

No worries, glad you found it useful, I use Airdroid a lot and consider it a must-have app if you dislike proprietary leads & manufacturers own arcane software (like kies)

Airdroid is quite elegant in that regard (as long as you have wireless)
Old 14-09-2013, 12:15   #12
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky View Post
Thank you for your help Techguyone, I've finally got the app to work. There are some on CF like myself that are not so clever at these things, and do require more info on how to do things, pictures and diagrams, for example, help lol! However I am very pleased with the results and I can now brag to my pal about the success as she is still trying to do similar tee hee!
Theoretically when you first plugged it in it should install mass storage drivers which allows you to just browse the device via my computer ( new drives should appear) . Sometimes a usb symbol will show up on the devices taskbar if you expand that it may give you options
Old 14-09-2013, 12:26   #13
techguyone
Deus Vult

Depends on the version of Android, my phone requires me to change a setting to enable Mass Storage mode before that happens.
Old 14-09-2013, 12:30   #14
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
Depends on the version of Android, my phone requires me to change a setting to enable Mass Storage mode before that happens.
yeah and that is why I mentioned the symbol . I was going to mention settings but trying to keep it simple.

Strange though how it is only now that exploring the settings has been offered as an option instead of all the apps being recommended
Old 14-09-2013, 12:50   #15
techguyone
Deus Vult

Not really I took the approach that 'simple works best' Great as Android is for techies, it's not particularly intuitive, or user friendly.

Using Airdroid met the Ops needs satisfactorily, I'm sure in time as they get used to the new tablet, then settings etc will be more relevant.

I find if you tailor a solution to the skillset of the user you get what you (and they want) a lot quicker & easier) Time & experience will take care of the rest in due course.