Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 06-03-2017, 11:29   #6931
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
£40 to £50 for both ?
Sorry but not including the boxing.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:13   #6932
Richc1977
cf.addict

Services: V6, Full House, 200MB BB, Netflix UHD, Sky Go
Richc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Oh I'll happily admit when I'm wrong Den a 33% increase shows what a mad world we live in , I guess BT just couldn't afford to lose the rights to it's main competitor as I said it's portfolio would have looked particularly weak without it.

More subscription increases coming to those who pay for it something I gladly don't.
I agree the rights were overpriced in the first place however a 33% increase does not seem so much considering the 2 kick off times, 6pm & 8pm in effect gives viewers double the content in the early stages. Guaranteed* double headers featuring English clubs on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

*Remember that from 2018, all 4 English teams will qualify automatically with no qualifying round any more for the 4th place side.
Richc1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:24   #6933
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richc1977 View Post
I agree the rights were overpriced in the first place however a 33% increase does not seem so much considering the 2 kick off times, 6pm & 8pm in effect gives viewers double the content in the early stages. Guaranteed* double headers featuring English clubs on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

*Remember that from 2018, all 4 English teams will qualify automatically with no qualifying round any more for the 4th place side.
Yes I see and agree with your point , I do think the Champions League could do with a well overdue shake up though like some other people have commented it's become a little dull. What exactly that shakeup needs to be I'm not sure.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:46   #6934
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

I'm well in favour of the double headers, particularly the 6pm kick off because as someone who works nightshifts I often miss out on seeing matches all the way through. I am however surprised BT have won exclusive rights again being that UEFA were so disappointed with the viewing figures in this country not so long back. I guess in the end money talks!
I hope BT keep the free-to-air channel and offer it to Freesat's viewers too. I'd like to see them improve it somewhat though, perhaps make it a sports news channel when not showing live games? Or a classic games channel. Whatever they do they must make more people aware of it.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:53   #6935
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

The BBC is stating that there will be no highlights package on ITV either.http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39177581
Will be interesting to see how BT can grow the audience . It would appear all UEFA are interested in is the money and not the product.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 13:34   #6936
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
The BBC is stating that there will be no highlights package on ITV either.http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39177581
Will be interesting to see how BT can grow the audience . It would appear all UEFA are interested in is the money and not the product.
Exactly.
Old 06-03-2017, 15:43   #6937
Richc1977
cf.addict

Services: V6, Full House, 200MB BB, Netflix UHD, Sky Go
Richc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to behold

Well at least I can see the funny side after spending the last few years reading certain forum posters and journalists go on and on (and on and on) about how UEFA are not happy about viewing figures and how BT will loose the rights etc..

Well finally we can put that one to bed now.

Money talks!
Richc1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 16:19   #6938
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

To be fair I'd say the majority of the posting on here has been relatively balanced , sure there's been reference to Champions League viewing with links to articles but as for BT losing the rights I'm not sure that was ever in doubt.

The CL rights are clearly more important to BT Sport than they are to Sky Sports.

Forgot to add whilst the price BT have paid has increased it would appear they now have complete control. Haven't Murdoch's newspapers got the mobile goals rights currently ?

When you break it down with BT's ownership of EE it can now sell these rights across the many millions of people who subscribe to EE's mobile service.

Last edited by muppetman11; 06-03-2017 at 16:33.
Old 06-03-2017, 17:18   #6939
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
To be fair I'd say the majority of the posting on here has been relatively balanced , sure there's been reference to Champions League viewing with links to articles but as for BT losing the rights I'm not sure that was ever in doubt.

The CL rights are clearly more important to BT Sport than they are to Sky Sports.

Forgot to add whilst the price BT have paid has increased it would appear they now have complete control. Haven't Murdoch's newspapers got the mobile goals rights currently ?

When you break it down with BT's ownership of EE it can now sell these rights across the many millions of people who subscribe to EE's mobile service.
Although the BT chief does contradict himself with this statement as posted by you a little while back MM.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...postcount=6921

---------- Post added at 16:18 ---------- Previous post was at 15:36 ----------

Talk Talk sadly in the news again..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39177981
Old 07-03-2017, 10:16   #6940
denphone
Still alive and fighting

BT's £1.2bn Champions League splurge is price of staying in Sky game.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...premier-league
Old 08-03-2017, 00:08   #6941
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
SKY to show their fourth Premiership game on SKY Sports Mix on Sunday the 26th February. Tottenham Hotspur Vs. Stoke City.
SKY shows their 5th Premiership game on SKY Sports Mix last Saturday being Manchester United Vs. Bournemouth. They have now announced their 6th. West Bromwich Albion Vs. Arsenal on 18th March.

At this rate they'll end the season showing about 10 games. Pretty decent for those who don't subscribe to SKY Sports.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:02   #6942
telegramsam
telegramsam

telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
SKY shows their 5th Premiership game on SKY Sports Mix last Saturday being Manchester United Vs. Bournemouth. They have now announced their 6th. West Bromwich Albion Vs. Arsenal on 18th March.

At this rate they'll end the season showing about 10 games. Pretty decent for those who don't subscribe to SKY Sports.
Yes quite good as you say but for me the really good thing is getting to see the games in HD for no extra cost!
Old 08-03-2017, 10:19   #6943
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
Yes quite good as you say but for me the really good thing is getting to see the games in HD for no extra cost!
I'm the same. I refuse to pay the HD charge for sky sports. It's HD! It's been out years. The original excuse for sky doing it was the cost of new technology. I refuse to pay even more for sky sports then all I get is a clearer picture... thieves
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:36   #6944
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
I'm the same. I refuse to pay the HD charge for sky sports. It's HD! It's been out years. The original excuse for sky doing it was the cost of new technology. I refuse to pay even more for sky sports then all I get is a clearer picture... thieves
It costs more to broadcast in HD , Blu Ray is generally more expensive than DVD , many of the PPV streaming options charge more for HD. You may not like it but for now it's here to stay.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:50   #6945
telegramsam
telegramsam

Quote:
It costs more to broadcast in HD , Blu Ray is generally more expensive than DVD , many of the PPV streaming options charge more for HD. You may not like it but for now it's here to stay.
Sorry that doesn't wash with me anymore! It might of been the case once over but now it's just an excuse for greedy companies to screw more hard earned money out of us!