Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 19-12-2016, 19:04   #2461
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

My SH is in a spare bedroom right next to my PC, and it ain't moving, so how would i know if the V6 would get a good enough WiFi signal for it to work properly? I get a pretty good signal anyway in most areas of the house, but my main TV is at least 10/13 metres away from my SH, so if I carry out a check on my phone using the Ookla speed test app, would that determine roughly the speed that the V6 would achieve?
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-12-2016, 20:18   #2462
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

I've installed a v6 with 70meg twice
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 20:51   #2463
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

I had my V6 installed this afternoon, and my SH1 replaced by a SH3.

SH is in modem mode linked to a Dlink Router. With SH1, I got 95 mb/s constantly. Now with SH3, it's 72 mb/s.

Could the drop be due to the V6 downloading information, or could there be a problem with the SH3, which I've had to reboot since the install?

Thanks
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 21:23   #2464
albertsteptoe
Inactive

Services: Full House XL,Gamer 200MB Sky Q Silver.
albertsteptoe is on a distinguished roadalbertsteptoe is on a distinguished road

Can anyone tell me if V6 has to be connected to SH3 as that is in my bedroom, i want to move my Tivo from living room to bedroom & new V6 to living room.
albertsteptoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 21:26   #2465
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I had my V6 installed this afternoon, and my SH1 replaced by a SH3.

SH is in modem mode linked to a Dlink Router. With SH1, I got 95 mb/s constantly. Now with SH3, it's 72 mb/s.

Could the drop be due to the V6 downloading information, or could there be a problem with the SH3, which I've had to reboot since the install?

Thanks
Easy way to tell, unplug the V6 from the network and see what speed you get
toady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 21:39   #2466
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertsteptoe View Post
Can anyone tell me if V6 has to be connected to SH3 as that is in my bedroom, i want to move my Tivo from living room to bedroom & new V6 to living room.
It can use wifi or homeplugs
Old 19-12-2016, 21:45   #2467
albertsteptoe
Inactive

albertsteptoe is on a distinguished roadalbertsteptoe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
It can use wifi or homeplugs
I want to send recordings from V6 to Tivo so would it need Ethernet.
Old 19-12-2016, 21:51   #2468
jb66
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I want to send recordings from V6 to Tivo so would it need Ethernet.
Your tivo would have to be connected to your hub either by ethernet or homeplugs, the v6 has wifi
Old 19-12-2016, 21:57   #2469
albertsteptoe
Inactive

Quote:
Your tivo would have to be connected to your hub either by ethernet or homeplugs, the v6 has wifi
Thanks a lot for that jbrr ill leave it until the new year to order one.
Old 19-12-2016, 21:57   #2470
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Does anyone know the approximate range of the RF remote?
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 22:14   #2471
jb66
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Thanks a lot for that jbrr ill leave it until the new year to order one.
Id order now if i were you, 8 week wait time
Old 19-12-2016, 22:19   #2472
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
Does anyone know the approximate range of the RF remote?
It's the same as 2.4GHz WiFi
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 22:51   #2473
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
It's the same as 2.4GHz WiFi
Thanks Spiderplant, good to know. Looks like I can ditch my IR senders when I take the V6 plunge
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 23:15   #2474
albertsteptoe
Inactive

Quote:
Id order now if i were you, 8 week wait time
I'm not in that much of a rush i still have Sky Q, want to get xmas & new year out of the way, ill leave it until around March time, i had the to wait 3 months before i could get Sky Q, but thanks for update on waiting time.
Old 19-12-2016, 23:44   #2475
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
It doesn't need the full 100Mbps itself. But bear in mind it is sharing bandwidth with all your other devices (possibly including up to two other V6's). If you had a lower broadband speed it could be easy to max out your connection.
So finally you agree with me, these new boxes are going to kill the bandwidth for everyone else.

I seem to recall me being slapped down earlier as being ridiculous because the V6 takes all of it's data feed from the coax and the ip connection was purely for command and control.

Oh dear...2 million V6's x 100 mbps = 2x10^14 bits per second. Yes, I know they aren't all on my segment but they are all going back to the core at some point.