Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ugly exterior cable installation

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Ugly exterior cable installation
Closed Thread

Old 21-09-2011, 01:04   #16
Kizza
Inactive

Kizza is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Ugly exterior cable installation

End result: either Virgin or ourselves take down the black cabling. If anyone here wants fibre optic, we'll subscribe to BT Infinity.
Advertisement
Old 21-09-2011, 02:55   #17
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one

and then BT will run Black cables also if need be.
Old 21-09-2011, 03:17   #18
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era

As has been pointed out, the reason for black is because black cables are UV resistant it is not black for aesthetic reasons.

If white was used, it would become brittle, discolour and be suseptible to failure through degredation.

there is no other way for VM to install this cable other than to clip it to walls.. cables strictly speaking arent allowed inside cavity walls, engineers arent supposed to be climbing in roof spaces due to health and safety, and its impractical to expect them to start chasing out walls in the alotted amount of time they have... not to mention that if they did it would then need repairing and making good after. Nor can they mess about lifting floorboards.

So how else do you propose they install these cables? other than clipping it to walls, and if they used white cable, which isnt as UV resistant.. would you be happy to pick up the bill for replacing it every couple of years, or accept an increase in monthly subscriptions to cover the white cable replacement every time it fails. Also im sure many customers would be quick to complain to VM when their services fail, even though it would of been their choice to take the risk and use white cable... using black is good business sense as it is longer lasting.

The only way around this issue, is either to paint it white, cap it in some way as mentioned... or chase out the walls yourself and bury the cable.

BT also use black cables as mentioned, for the same reasons.. and most aerial installers should also be using black outside.

I certainly would not be abandoning VM for BT Infinity, for all VMs flaws, at least "generally" their broadband speeds are acceptably need to what they are selling it to be.

BT infinity, they tried to sell me that one.. kept saying oh you can get 40mbit with BT infinity.. then they did a speed check and told me id only recieve half.. 20mbit, and so far VM seem to be 1 step ahead... BT release 40mbit, VM release 100mbit, BT planning 80mbit in 2012... VM rumour has it are planning 200mbit.

Also may I quote,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizza View Post
Our block of flats was the only one on our street not connected to Virgin fibre optic, so we requested a communal connection.
the fact you requested it, can be deemed acceptance.

As you must of had some idea how it is installed... just about every other home on VMs network is cabled in the same way, black cable, although they do try to hide it where possible, and also, during the time it was being installed, in all fairness other people was in the building and could of said something to the people installing it, rather than sit there ignorantly and idley letting them get on with it and wait until they was finished... if somebody else brought that to the installers attention while it was being installed, maybe they could of found a different route for it or done it in a more acceptable manner...Certainly when I had an extra V+ box shoved in, the engineer did not object to me telling him I wanted the cable installed a certain way... namely outside, rather than drilling through a wall into the next bedroom.

If you remove the cables yourself, it can be deemed as criminal damage. As they are property of Virgin Media

Also, technically no matter how BT sell infinity it is not fibre optic, nor is VM.. although VM is probably more fibre optic than BT.

BT Infinity, is fibre optic to the cabinet.. but from the cabinet on the broadband is still delivered down the same cable as your telephone.. so its technically VDSL... whereby DSL is delivered from the cabinet rather than the exchange.. but at the end of the day its still via a phone line.

Whereas VM, the phone line and the data transport cable for your TV and Internet are kept separately, and because VM use RG6 / RG11 for the TV and broadband which is a lot thicker copper wire than bog standard telephone lines not only does it have a lesser resistance, but lower signal loss and degradation.. and due to the shielding less interference technically as well... and VM, also have multiple cabinets/pits near to the home which are amplified along the cabke run so the final run to the home is kept to a minimal amount.

Whereas BT might only have a single cabinet which is quite some distance away,,, like here, the BT cabinet is all the way down the other end of the road, then because it is delivered via the telephone lines it still suffers from the same ADSL problem slower speeds the further you are away... albeit the cabinet is nearer than the exchange so the drop in speed is less.. however it is still there as is evident when they try to sell me 40mbit bt infinity and tell me I can only get 20mbit still.

So really VM is still a more superior network.

Only problem VM have though, is that they dont have the finances available that BT have, so in many areas they are over utilised causing problems but they dont have the money to keep upgrading as much as they would like.
Old 21-09-2011, 13:26   #19
Kizza
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB2004 View Post
As has been pointed out, the reason for black is because black cables are UV resistant it is not black for aesthetic reasons.

If white was used, it would become brittle, discolour and be suseptible to failure through degredation.

there is no other way for VM to install this cable other than to clip it to walls.. cables strictly speaking arent allowed inside cavity walls, engineers arent supposed to be climbing in roof spaces due to health and safety, and its impractical to expect them to start chasing out walls in the alotted amount of time they have... not to mention that if they did it would then need repairing and making good after. Nor can they mess about lifting floorboards.

So how else do you propose they install these cables? other than clipping it to walls, and if they used white cable, which isnt as UV resistant.. would you be happy to pick up the bill for replacing it every couple of years, or accept an increase in monthly subscriptions to cover the white cable replacement every time it fails. Also im sure many customers would be quick to complain to VM when their services fail, even though it would of been their choice to take the risk and use white cable... using black is good business sense as it is longer lasting.

The only way around this issue, is either to paint it white, cap it in some way as mentioned... or chase out the walls yourself and bury the cable.

BT also use black cables as mentioned, for the same reasons.. and most aerial installers should also be using black outside.

I certainly would not be abandoning VM for BT Infinity, for all VMs flaws, at least "generally" their broadband speeds are acceptably need to what they are selling it to be.

BT infinity, they tried to sell me that one.. kept saying oh you can get 40mbit with BT infinity.. then they did a speed check and told me id only recieve half.. 20mbit, and so far VM seem to be 1 step ahead... BT release 40mbit, VM release 100mbit, BT planning 80mbit in 2012... VM rumour has it are planning 200mbit.

Also may I quote,

the fact you requested it, can be deemed acceptance.

As you must of had some idea how it is installed... just about every other home on VMs network is cabled in the same way, black cable, although they do try to hide it where possible, and also, during the time it was being installed, in all fairness other people was in the building and could of said something to the people installing it, rather than sit there ignorantly and idley letting them get on with it and wait until they was finished... if somebody else brought that to the installers attention while it was being installed, maybe they could of found a different route for it or done it in a more acceptable manner...Certainly when I had an extra V+ box shoved in, the engineer did not object to me telling him I wanted the cable installed a certain way... namely outside, rather than drilling through a wall into the next bedroom.

If you remove the cables yourself, it can be deemed as criminal damage. As they are property of Virgin Media

Also, technically no matter how BT sell infinity it is not fibre optic, nor is VM.. although VM is probably more fibre optic than BT.

BT Infinity, is fibre optic to the cabinet.. but from the cabinet on the broadband is still delivered down the same cable as your telephone.. so its technically VDSL... whereby DSL is delivered from the cabinet rather than the exchange.. but at the end of the day its still via a phone line.

Whereas VM, the phone line and the data transport cable for your TV and Internet are kept separately, and because VM use RG6 / RG11 for the TV and broadband which is a lot thicker copper wire than bog standard telephone lines not only does it have a lesser resistance, but lower signal loss and degradation.. and due to the shielding less interference technically as well... and VM, also have multiple cabinets/pits near to the home which are amplified along the cabke run so the final run to the home is kept to a minimal amount.

Whereas BT might only have a single cabinet which is quite some distance away,,, like here, the BT cabinet is all the way down the other end of the road, then because it is delivered via the telephone lines it still suffers from the same ADSL problem slower speeds the further you are away... albeit the cabinet is nearer than the exchange so the drop in speed is less.. however it is still there as is evident when they try to sell me 40mbit bt infinity and tell me I can only get 20mbit still.

So really VM is still a more superior network.

Only problem VM have though, is that they dont have the finances available that BT have, so in many areas they are over utilised causing problems but they dont have the money to keep upgrading as much as they would like.
Like I said. I wasn't aware that Virgin only used black cables. I foolishly assumed some kind of asthetic installation standard would be adhered to. My bad.

Perhaps Virgin should consider issuing some kind of standard information letter or email to potential customers of large blocks of flats explaining that black cabling will be used, and that 6 inch coils of wire will be pinned next to the window ledge of each flat.

To answer your other point: I don't believe anyone was around when the installation was done - everybody here works full time and I was on holiday. And no notice was given about when the installation was going to be done.

Thanks for the info tho. But with BT Infinity - if they already use the phone line from the box to the building, then what extra need would there be to install cables around the outside of the building?

If I understand correctly - it's fibre optic to the box and then the existing phone line to the building.

As for taking down the Virgin cables - no damage or cutting would need doing. We could just pull it down and bunch it up in the bushes in the front garden. It'd still be connected to the street line and not damaged in any way.

I accept that Virgin is better than BT Infinity, but I can't begin to describe how bad it looks. Painting the cables white would be expensive as it's a 4 storey building and access is difficult.

---------- Post added at 12:26 ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Someone forgot his own question.....
True, this is what I first asked but the discussion has transmogrified, as discussions are wont to do
Old 21-09-2011, 13:56   #20
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Like I said. I wasn't aware that Virgin only used black cables. I foolishly assumed some kind of asthetic installation standard would be adhered to. My bad.

Perhaps Virgin should consider issuing some kind of standard information letter or email to potential customers of large blocks of flats explaining that black cabling will be used, and that 6 inch coils of wire will be pinned next to the window ledge of each flat.

To answer your other point: I don't believe anyone was around when the installation was done - everybody here works full time and I was on holiday. And no notice was given about when the installation was going to be done.

Thanks for the info tho. But with BT Infinity - if they already use the phone line from the box to the building, then what extra need would there be to install cables around the outside of the building?

If I understand correctly - it's fibre optic to the box and then the existing phone line to the building.

As for taking down the Virgin cables - no damage or cutting would need doing. We could just pull it down and bunch it up in the bushes in the front garden. It'd still be connected to the street line and not damaged in any way.

I accept that Virgin is better than BT Infinity, but I can't begin to describe how bad it looks. Painting the cables white would be expensive as it's a 4 storey building and access is difficult.

---------- Post added at 12:26 ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 ----------

True, this is what I first asked but the discussion has transmogrified, as discussions are wont to do
The extra need for the extra cable is that having it separate from the phone line delivers a superior service. Only reason BT are sticking to using the telphone lines and using VDSL is for cost reasons... easier for them to shove it down a phone line than install a separate data cable to the home.

Thats the difference between BT and VM, BT seem to be sticking with DSL, just finding ways to deliver it "better" and 1 such way has been to deliver it from the cabinet rather than the exchange.. but none the less it still suffers the same problem speed loss over distance and is effected by the quality of the line.

Whereas VM use coax, which is more network orientated anyway as some computer networks before CAT5 etc were used, were actually interconnected via Coax, so Coax has always been a data network infrastructure and is a network in the truer sense than DSL making it superiour.. and like I said it is less prone to interference, the signal strength is higher.. namely because the copper core of a coax cable is bigger than the strands of a telephone cable.. and VM also amplify the signal along the cable run in their pits and cabinets so the final drop length to the home is usually minimal.

I know to you it doesnt seem like criminal damage, but I doubt VM would be happy about you unclipping it as that cable probably wont be re-used.. and also, who will pick up the costs if 1 person decides they want it again and you have removed it all?
Old 21-09-2011, 14:59   #21
Kizza
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB2004 View Post
The extra need for the extra cable is that having it separate from the phone line delivers a superior service. Only reason BT are sticking to using the telphone lines and using VDSL is for cost reasons... easier for them to shove it down a phone line than install a separate data cable to the home.

Thats the difference between BT and VM, BT seem to be sticking with DSL, just finding ways to deliver it "better" and 1 such way has been to deliver it from the cabinet rather than the exchange.. but none the less it still suffers the same problem speed loss over distance and is effected by the quality of the line.

Whereas VM use coax, which is more network orientated anyway as some computer networks before CAT5 etc were used, were actually interconnected via Coax, so Coax has always been a data network infrastructure and is a network in the truer sense than DSL making it superiour.. and like I said it is less prone to interference, the signal strength is higher.. namely because the copper core of a coax cable is bigger than the strands of a telephone cable.. and VM also amplify the signal along the cable run in their pits and cabinets so the final drop length to the home is usually minimal.

I know to you it doesnt seem like criminal damage, but I doubt VM would be happy about you unclipping it as that cable probably wont be re-used.. and also, who will pick up the costs if 1 person decides they want it again and you have removed it all?
Easy enough - we have a residents meeting and agree that if a broadband company only uses black cables that track around the building then nobody is allowed to use that company. As freeholders we are able to make that rule.

Then tidily and without causing criminal damage we roll back all the black cables and leave them neatly in the bushes. Virgin can do what they want with it thereafter.

White cable does exist doesn't it? Sky use it all the time.

Does everyone on here work for Virgin or something?
Old 21-09-2011, 15:10   #22
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
White cable does exist doesn't it? Sky use it all the time.
It's been repeated time and time again why white cable isn't used externally.

That sky sometimes use it is because their installers are generally independent contractors, and they'll do anything the customer wants for an easy life, with no regard for the continuing operation of the service. In fact it's in their interest for your installation to develop an issue, as then you get to pay them again to fix it when the cable degrades.
Old 21-09-2011, 15:26   #23
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
No - but several of our regular posters do, and offer advice on here in their spare time. They know and care what they're talking about and therefore are worth listening to.
Old 21-09-2011, 16:51   #24
Kizza
Inactive

Ok thank you... I get it! Black cabling better than white. Sadly black cabling is incompatible with large white Georgian blocks of flats so it's adios to Virgin and hello BT Infinity. Bit of a shame that all the work the installers has done has gone to waste, but they still get paid.

I still think that someone in the Virgin management chain should give explicit warnings before installing black cabling all over the outside of a white building in a conservation area. After all, it's their time, equipment and money they've wasted on this occasion.
Old 21-09-2011, 16:59   #25
RB2004
Inactive

If I was vm and a customer asked for that cable to be installed then you proceeded to unclip it and roll it in the bushes I would charge you every penny for the cable.. Cable costs money, and if you aren't going to take up services it's existing customers like me with my 1400+ a year bill picking up the bill... you all REQUESTED they install it, that cable probably won't be reused again even if vm take it away, nobody there objected to the installation while it was being put in so i don't see how it is vm fault, sky use White but the shouldn't be! And you are damn lucky vm even cabled you up there are thousands of people who would give anything to be cabled up but vm won't do it for cost reasons or it being unfeasible in terms of return on investment... Then you was lucky enough to get cabled up and you wanna rip it out?

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

Simple answer would just be to paint over it or get it re-routed by vm if it can be they will be obliging to do that instead of kicking off about it
Old 21-09-2011, 16:59   #26
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

Any chance of some pics?
Old 21-09-2011, 17:01   #27
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Ok thank you... I get it! Black cabling better than white. Sadly black cabling is incompatible with large white Georgian blocks of flats so it's adios to Virgin and hello BT Infinity. Bit of a shame that all the work the installers has done has gone to waste, but they still get paid.

I still think that someone in the Virgin management chain should give explicit warnings before installing black cabling all over the outside of a white building in a conservation area. After all, it's their time, equipment and money they've wasted on this occasion.
When exactly should this warning be given?
When you phone up to arrange it without stating that your building is white and in a conservation area?
Or after they've turned up to install it and see it's a white building, and when, by your own admission, no one was in the building?

VM are not psychic, they don't have a database of white buildings. This was something you should have sorted out, as you're the one that knows your building has special requirements.
Old 21-09-2011, 17:18   #28
Kizza
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
When you phone up to arrange it without stating that your building is white and in a conservation area?
Or after they've turned up to install it and see it's a white building, and when, by your own admission, no one was in the building?

VM are not psychic, they don't have a database of white buildings. This was something you should have sorted out, as you're the one that knows your building has special requirements.
The building was surveyed several months before the installation, and they took photographs. So they would have known it was a white building and had ample time and opportunity to inform us that black cabling would criss cross the outside.

No need for them to be psychic.

The thing is, as customers we have been left in a position where we are contemplating removing all the cables. How is this efficient business practice by Virgin? ie: their own interests have not been served.

If they warned us, we would have said "oh ok well in that case we cannot have the cables, thanks anyway, cheerio" etc.

I'm surprised that VM don't have procedures in place to avoid wasting their money.

And, like I've said about 5 times, I did not know Virgin only used black cable. How can I know that? I'm not one of you guys who does this every day for a living or work in the business and have prior knowledge about these matters.

Anyway, I haven't spoken to anybody at VM yet... they're getting back to me, so hopefully something can be worked out.
Old 21-09-2011, 18:35   #29
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
End result: either Virgin or ourselves take down the black cabling. If anyone here wants fibre optic, we'll subscribe to BT Infinity.
Are you speaking on behalf of all the residents, or just yourself?

Have you asked the same questions to BT that you should have asked Virgin?

---------- Post added at 17:25 ---------- Previous post was at 17:12 ----------

Quote:
Like I said. I wasn't aware that Virgin only used black cables. I foolishly assumed some kind of asthetic installation standard would be adhered to.
So you are now admitting that you "foolishly assumed". So in fact that means that is was your fault for assuming.

You also said that yours was the only block in the road to not have Virgin. So wouldn'y it have made sense to have a look at the other blocks rather than just assimg that Virgin would have to cover every possible eventuality, just because some people "foolishly assume".

---------- Post added at 17:29 ---------- Previous post was at 17:25 ----------

Quote:
No, most of us don't. But we can all see that you are trying to push the blame onto Virgin, because you got it wrong, and "foolishly assumed".

---------- Post added at 17:33 ---------- Previous post was at 17:29 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post

I'd give up. Kizza is never going to admit that it is their fault, because they "foolishly assumed"

---------- Post added at 17:35 ---------- Previous post was at 17:33 ----------

Quote:
I'm surprised that VM don't have procedures in place to avoid wasting their money.
That would be easy. They can charge you for the install if you now decide they have wasted their time.
Old 21-09-2011, 18:56   #30
Kizza
Inactive

Quote:

That would be easy. They can charge you for the install if you now decide they have wasted their time.
Fortunately consumer rights have moved on since the 1970s!

And when I said "foolishly assumed" I was being ironic.
Closed Thread