Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Over a barrell

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Billing Issues

Owing money

Old 18-07-2017, 22:20   #1
lucadam
Inactive

lucadam is an unknown quantity at this point
Owing money

can anyone give me any advice please, 7 years ago i was moving to the other side of the country, phoned virgin and told them that i need to stop my services till i moved into my new house, as i was going to be living with parents for 3 months, they said i could not do this and would have to continue paying monthly bill even though i was not using it, so in the end i just cancelled direct debit left boxes there and moved, have never heard anything from them, but where i am living now i can't get above 4 meg broadband and virgin is in the area, would they remember or expect me to pay arrears and for old boxes, thanks for any help
lucadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-07-2017, 22:28   #2
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age
Re: owing money

Possibly, you would be credit checked when you signed up and that could tie you to other accounts you had with VM.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 19:50   #3
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

If you still owe money to Virgin they will know as it will show on your credit check
Old 20-07-2017, 20:14   #4
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbandking View Post
If you still owe money to Virgin they will know as it will show on your credit check
Depends if he was ever taken to court over it or acknowledged the debt (which he says he hasn't), if not then it drops off your credit file after 6 years.

If Virgin still has a note of it on their systems they wouldn't be able to chase the debt anymore but they still might refuse service or ask for a deposit up front.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 22:45   #5
david_w2k
cf.addict

david_w2k is on a distinguished roaddavid_w2k is on a distinguished road
Re: Owing money

Run a credit check on Experian
david_w2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 00:07   #6
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

As kabaal says, it might not be on your credit file but VM could still refuse service. I have to say that if the debt was with NTL, especially in one of their old former cable and wireless areas before the billing migration then there is a good chance that there is no record. You wont know unless you sign up and you will find out pretty quickly

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 14:19   #7
darren.b
cf.addict

darren.b has a spectacular aura about themdarren.b has a spectacular aura about themdarren.b has a spectacular aura about themdarren.b has a spectacular aura about them

Had been with VM since 1994-2000, and again 2006-2016 - paid them about £6000 for that second time.

I disconnected after yet another round of price increases and returned all their equipment. Then after a month changed my mind. They traced back a small debt from 17 years ago (when they were Telewest). £53 or something my ex had run up in 2000 (her house, my name on the contract a dodgy tactic they play there). Won't chase it up (they can't anyway) and will be happy to provide a new service take my money service if I pay the £53. Not happening!

Completely ignoring the £6000 they made after that old debt was created, they have since cost themselves another £800 in lost revenue (and counting!) over a small debt they cannot collect.

The bean counters at VM are geniuses!
darren.b is offline   Reply With Quote